veejaycee

Pre release price and reviews for XF 200mm f2 + 1.4X TC and 8-16mm f2.8 and

WEX/Calumet are taking pre-release orders. 200mm f2 @ £5,399 and the 8-16mm f2, 8 @ £1,799. I've decided to buy a car instead.

Of course the 200mm f2 is aimed at pros fashion and sports photographers.

First reviews here from Jonas Rask: https://jonasraskphotography.com/2018/07/20/fujinon-xf200mm-f-2-mini-review-the-crown-jewel-of-x/

https://jonasraskphotography.com/2018/07/20/fujinon-xf8-16mm-f2-8-mini-review-a-wider-shade-of-fujifilm/

Those are a pretty penny, though It is nice to see that Fuji is focusing on pro level lenses. This means that their ambitions center around getting more pros into their system. Come back and review , to those who preorder and buy this lens.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:41 PM, veejaycee said:

WEX/Calumet are taking pre-release orders. 200mm f2 @ £5,399 and the 8-16mm f2, 8 @ £1,799. I've decided to buy a car instead.

I know all cameras are expensive these days, but the 200mm seems REALLY expensive.  I used to have a Minolta 200mm f2.8 G HS, regarded by some as one of the finest 200mm primes ever made, and used they seem to sell for around £500.  The ultra wide price seems to be about the going rate these days for a high quality ultra wide. Ouch.

Pros will buy it - in fact they'll welcome it for fashion, sports and action.

The Nikon 200mm f2 is £6000 but for that you get a true FF 200mm f2 rather than an equivalent 300mm f2.8.

People are speaking of the 8-16mm f2.8 as great option for landscape but IMO it's what I call a special purpose lens. Tiny fine detail in a landscape with no composition is not for me. Pick out the individual compositions with a standard/tele length lens. This lens can be used for close landscapes or at least with a close object in the foreground, but more so in skate parks with a board whizzing past a couple of feet away or close to a racehorse jump maybe - in short - a lens very much for the creative photographer IMO.

Either way I can't afford to buy either or to carry the weight which I read is greater than the 16-55mm f2.8 (the 8-16mm f2.8 that is). There is already competition to name this lens the breeze or cinder block - I favor - the Rock.