Hi,

my shutter half-pressed AF stopped working in S-Mode. The AF shutter works strangely only in Adv1/2 mode. I can only get focus with the AF-L button on the back. I've tried any possible combination and of course reset. The menu display in AF/MF settings is permanently in MF mode (pic attached). Every time I half-press the shutter the blue EL display appears on the back screen.

Any advice on how to get my beloved halp-press shutter AF back would be really appreciated, I am really desperate.

MANY THANKS,

HM

Fuji t20_screen menu.jpg

You should say which model you use. However -

User menu - buttons/dials settings - Shutter AF on.

If it's an XT20 you only have one choice - AF on, but if it's an XT2 you can choose for AFS and AFC separately.

In manual mode (front switch M) you will still have back button focus (only) with manual fine tune. This allows for focus - recompose.

On 7/24/2018 at 6:26 PM, veejaycee said:

You should say which model you use. However -

User menu - buttons/dials settings - Shutter AF on.

If it's an XT20 you only have one choice - AF on, but if it's an XT2 you can choose for AFS and AFC separately.

In manual mode (front switch M) you will still have back button focus (only) with manual fine tune. This allows for focus - recompose.

thanks for the reply. Much appreciated. I am a pretty experienced cinematographer and I tried every possible set of combination of settings before I put up my note. Any other suggestions?  

Well if you tried every possible combination of settings then no. :)

Just to be clear though - back button focus in M mode is usually used to divorce the focus from the shutter button. I just checked my XT20 which it seems you use and in M mode there is no AF by shutter button only by AF-on back button as I said.

Checkout the manual to see if the ADV1/ADV2 is affected differently. I admit to not even knowing what they do as my XT20 is setup as backup to my XT2.

1 minute ago, veejaycee said:

Well if you tried every possible combination of settings then no. :)

Just to be clear though - back button focus in M mode is usually used to divorce the focus from the shutter button. I just checked my XT20 which it seems you use and in M mode there is no AF by shutter button only by AF-on back button as I said.

Checkout the manual to see if the ADV1/ADV2 is affected differently. I admit to not even knowing what they do as my XT20 is setup as backup to my XT2.

Thanks again for getting back in touch. My frustration is that the nor the camera manual neither the FAQ on the Fuji website give any clue how to resolve the problem. I am locked in MF mode in whatever combination of settings/button combinations. Front or back or menu setting. Just to go back to factory settings would be nice, but I tried the two 'reset' options through the menu without any joy. Pretty frustrating stuff.

Again, just to be sure - you have tried moving the front SCM switch to C or to S? Your menu image shows your AF/MF mode is switched to M - Manual focus.

The reason I ask is that with a reset only electronic settings are reset but mechanical such as the front SCM switch obviously remain in current setting.

4 minutes ago, veejaycee said:

Again, just to be sure - you have tried moving the front SCM switch to C or to S? Your menu image shows your AF/MF mode is switched to M - Manual focus.

Thanks for trying to help. I wish it was that simple. The very problem is that the MF is always on regardless of the position of the SCM switch or any possible combination of menu/button settings. It's only back to shutter AF when I change the setting to Adv 1/2 mode on the top dial. The AF-L on the back is working too, but I prefer to use the shutter AF.

It sounds very much like the mechanical switch is broken then and unfortunately this will require a repair by Fuji.

I imagine the ADV settings can only be used in AF and thus they default to AF - and no doubt to jpg only.

Hopefully your camera is still under warranty? I hope so but give your local Fuji service center a call and they should give you a quote - or maybe, since it's a hardware/mechanical failure they may cover the cost.

Hope for the best anyway.