I have been invited to hold a lecture at the Hangö Photofestival next month and I wich to ask you for a helping hand. The theme I have to talk about is "Ecological Photography". Can we do something to make our photography greener?

EUC_CityForest.thumb.jpeg.b48e7b857e195525ef99ad9ff933d45f.jpeg

How can we/I reduce the negative trend on our enviroments as a photographer? Can we take as nice pictures as before while consuming less?
For this photo i used my Fujifilm X100F camera with Fujifilm Camera Remote App.

• Like 1

Interesting to consider @Dismason!

You could make an argument for continuing to use our cameras for a longer period of time before replacement, instead of chasing the latest and greatest. Consider environmentally friendly printing processes when producing photographic prints and artwork. 

On a smaller scale, ensuring old rechargeable batteries are properly recycled. Consider investing in higher quality gear that is less likely to become obsolete, instead of starting with cheap photo goods/accessories that are not durable.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 9:59 PM, Christopher said:

You could make an argument for continuing to use our cameras for a longer period of time before replacement, instead of chasing the latest and greatest. Consider environmentally friendly printing processes when producing photographic prints and artwork. 

On a smaller scale, ensuring old rechargeable batteries are properly recycled. Consider investing in higher quality gear that is less likely to become obsolete, instead of starting with cheap photo goods/accessories that are not durable.

That's more than I could come up with. I suppose the rest is down to the manufacturers and their practices.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2018 at 11:59 PM, Christopher said:

15 hours ago, veejaycee said:

That's more than I could come up with. I suppose the rest is down to the manufacturers and their practices.

Thank you for your comments. I will use that you mentioned in my talk 😊. Nice!

One of the reasons I switched from Nikon to Fujifilm was the amount of gadgets. Each time Nikon comes out with a new feature, it also means a lot of new lenses and batteries and other stuff. With the Fujifilm X100F, new features have meant updating of the software (If I remember correctly, X100F has got four new updates since I bought it).

Another aspect is also what we use to take us to the spot to photograph. I have spend a lot of money to fuel the car and have used my car also for very short distances. This summer I desided to used an electric unicycle (the pic above) instead of my car. A 100 km ride with EUC cost me 0.10 euro. So if 1 million photographers take the bus or tram or bicycle instead of a car, for sure we will cause less emissions.

• Like 1