ronyzmbow

X100 + bargain - which one?

ronyzmbow

In the most honest way...My main system is Olympus MFT. OMD - EM10 with several lenses. For some time I have put my eye on the X100 as a second TAKE ANYWHERE option. I do not have too much cash for it right now, so looking for the most BANG FOR THE BUCK camera. Is the X100S enough? Does it really make sense to invest more in the newer models with the newer sensor? Is there a big difference in IQ?I am not interested in video. Thanks for any comment and input.

NickC42

I had the S and upgraded to the T. There’s no difference in the IQ between those 2 but the handling is vastly improved on the T. As a mainly aperture priority shooter the aperture setting on the S leaves a lot to be desired. You can only set full stops using the aperture ring and then have to use the command dial to set thirds. The T lets you do thirds from the ring. The viewfinder is also improved with the “rangefinder “ option.

So of those 2 I’d definitely choose the T.

I now have the F, but only for a week so haven’t had a chance to test it yet. Like you my main system is mft but I like the limitation of a single focal length. My go anywhere camera is the Ricoh GR as it’s quite a bit smaller than even the X100 range.

• Like 1

ronyzmbow
3 minutes ago, NickC42 said:

I had the S and upgraded to the T. There’s no difference in the IQ between those 2 but the handling is vastly improved on the T. As a mainly aperture priority shooter the aperture setting on the S leaves a lot to be desired. You can only set full stops using the aperture ring and then have to use the command dial to set thirds. The T lets you do thirds from the ring. The viewfinder is also improved with the “rangefinder “ option.

So of those 2 I’d definitely choose the T.

I now have the F, but only for a week so haven’t had a chance to test it yet. Like you my main system is mft but I like the limitation of a single focal length. My go anywhere camera is the Ricoh GR as it’s quite a bit smaller than even the X100 range.

Nik, thanks!

I have also looked at the Ricoh, but a bit afraid with the dust issue. I have worked on some RAW samples from the Ricoh. AMAZING results!

BTW, there is a HUGE plus for both Fujifilm and Sony camera - the free Capture One Express from Phase One. Simply the best RAW program!

NickC42

I think the Ricoh dust issue is a bit overblown. I haven’t had a problem in the 4+ years of ownership. I never put it naked in a trouser pocket, preferring a belt case. I have even had it covered in tree pollen when I got a bit close for a macro! Just blew it off and no problem.

kiwiana

I also have a Ricoh GRii. No problem with the dust thing. I bought a filter holder plus filter of course. Not a sign of dust.

Images with the Ricoh razor sharp. I think equal if not better than the the fuji if comparing with the X100 series.