Sign in to follow this  
AbueloB

Best way to learn to use x20?

Recently bought a used x20 .... seems like a nice camera but is significantly smaller than any camera I have used for the past 35+ years .... and like most digital cameras (IMO) has way too many options/adjustments available .... (yep I'm a old guy) .... anyway .... looking for recommendations for a set of basic settings to use to make it function just a step above a "Kodak Brownie"  ? so I can use it for awhile and concentrate on feel/function of the camera .... not trying to learn all of the settings/options until I am comfortable with just using the body and very basic controls .... probably sounds like a dumb question but to me one of the main components of enjoying a camera is a good physical interface with it ....

Thanks in advance for all comments/thoughts shared ....

AbueloB

I have to agree with you that a large camera is preferable over a small one.  My X30 is a great camera image wise but just too small for me.  The only recommendation I can give you is to find a particular setting and leave it there.  The biggest hurdle with the X20 and mine (for us) is getting used to the physical size, which I have not been able to do yet.  

I've been using SLR cameras since 1970 and DSLRs since 2000. I bought a second-hand X10 a couple of years ago, then later an X20. Both are good cameras but the X20 is better than the X10 and even better than the Olympus OM1n film camera I used for more than 25 years.

Settings are up to you, of course, and what suits me might not suit you, but my reason for buying the X20 was the optical viewfinder with shooting info, so my first recommendation is to set the OVF/LCD setting on tab 4 of the Shooting Menu to OVF.  There's an Eye Sensor option too but I've found that in bright light it's a bit iffy and doesn't always work.

You could use P mode for ease of use or SP mode if you want the camera to make all the decisions for you but my preferred settings are:
* Aperture priority
* F/4 aperture (F/5.6 is also acceptable but higher than this leads to distortion: lower is OK)
* JPEG Fine or JPEG Fine + RAW
* Auto ISO 100-400
* Minimum shutter speed 1/15th (or whatever you feel happiest with)
* DR 100 (anything else leads to smudging)
* Burst mode 3fps allows you to use a single click for single frames or to keep your finger on the button for longer sequences (but be aware that the camera does not re-focus after the first frame)

Then  snap away and make whatever adjustments you prefer.

Have fun with your X20. It rekindled my love of photography!