I wonder if anyone has come across viewfinder covers for X series cameras? I know there is lots of advice that mirrorless cameras don't have a light path to their sensors through the viewfinder but I've had bad experiences using my XT2 for long exposure night images and with my converted XE1 for infra-red. Somehow unwanted light is getting on to the images in both cases.

Hi Chris,

that seems unusual, yet if it is going to occur it will most likely be during long exposures. However, there is no light path from sensor to viewfinder - the connection is purely electronic signal.

If you really feel that unwanted light is entering that way try covering the camera with a layer or two of dark cloth. I've not had a problem with my IR converted XE1 either.

Can you post some images showing the problem?

Vic

Hello Vic

Thank you for responding. The images I had in mind were some I took at night in Bath a year or so ago. I recall that it was dark but there was some overhead street lighting above and behind me. Searching my archive reveals that I must have deleted them as being no good for my picture library purposes. Next time I'll try a black cloth over the top and back of the camera during exposure as you suggest. For the converted XE1, I think I was confusing my IR sensor hotspot problem with the extraneous light issue.

Chris

I've tried all of my suite of X series lenses except the 100-400 and the 50-140. So that's the 35mm, 60mm, 16-55 and 10-24. I think I'm finding the last-named the one where hotspots appear less frequently than the others. But none are hot-spot free. Which do you find works for you Vic?

Sorry, I've taken this thread a bit off topic.

Regards

Chris

I don't know about the 100-400mm but I'll try it soon - I don't have the 50-140mm. Known good lenses 14mm f2.8 (the absolute best for IR to f8). 23mm and 35mm f1.4s are good to about f5.6 or a little less. 16mm f1.4 is good to f8. 60mm f2.4 is no good at any aperture likewise the 18-55 zoom. The 55-200mm zoom is excellent at all apertures and focal lengths as is the 90mm f2. 16-55 works for me too although I don't have a lens filter to fit that lens, the basic conversion (580nm) shows it to work well (whether a lens filter might interfere with the light path to give a hot spot is another thing). I mostly use a Hoya R72 (720nm) on my lenses and sometimes 850nm (B&W). My favourite lenses for infrared are 14mm f2.8 and 55-200mm.

I've read that 10-24 is not good.

I have read that the f2 Chrons are ok for hotspots and I'm hoping the new 16mm f2.8 will work although I'm happy with the 14mm and cropping if necessary. I don't shoot IR with much else than the 14mm and the 55-200mm.