Jkarak

XF 60mm Macro 2.4

Jkarak

I shoot an XT2 and XE2 and thinking of getting the 60mm 2.4 Macro as it appears to be heavily discounted @ $399. I understand that auto-focus speed is sub-par, otherwise it's sharp. According to the description for the lens it was designed specifically for the XPro series. Would the slow focus be a result of using it on cameras other than the Xpro? I'm curious to know how of others experience using it on the XT2. 

Also, I have a Fuji extension MCEX-16 which I assume I can use on the lens. What magnification would that give me as a result? 

thank you

farrell

The camera in use is irrelevant to the focusing speed;it is native to the lens.

I have the x-tube set but have never used it.

As to the X-value with the MCEX-16, I think Fuji Global or Fuji USA would have that available,

but someone else here may able to help you with that.

Jkarak
6 hours ago, veejaycee said:

I have 10mm and 16m tubes - never used either of them. The 1.5X mag is enough for me for things as small as greenfly which is plenty for me and no fiddling with tubes meaning a change of focus distance. If you go to here you'll find the various mags and focus distances: https://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/accessories/pdf/mcex_01.pdf

1.5x is certainly enough but I believe the magnification on this particular lens is only 0.5x. 

MarcoDebiasi

I do not own the XF 60mm f/2.4 but I hope my two cents of advice will be useful anyway.

The cumulative impression I have from Internet reviews/users is that the XF 60mm f/2.4 is optically really good, with a sharpness that meets and possibly exceeds anything but the most demanding requirements (read: compulsory pixel peeping). Personally, I also judge its bokeh to be very pleasing. From what I have seen, I slightly prefer it to those of the XF 90mm f/2 (by a small margin) and of XF 80mm f/2.8 (by a larger margin). The fact that this lens is small, light, and cheap makes it an excellent choice unless one 'really' needs fast AF (by the way, lens and camera firmware have somewhat improved its AF performance; not as good as other XF lenses, but better than when it was released) or 1:1 magnification.

About the latter, I think that 1:1 magnification is often an overrated requirement, especially on the APS-C format where a 1:2 magnification can already fills the frame a lot. From my experience with an adapted 1:2 macro lens, I judge that (with the exception of 'insect portraiture', watch and jewellery macro, and few other cases) most typical subjects would 'spill' over the frame by using 1:1 magnification in APS-C. So, while 1:1 is nice to have, I am not sure if it is really a must for everyone.

I hope this will help you and have a good light!

veejaycee
11 hours ago, Jkarak said:

1.5x is certainly enough but I believe the magnification on this particular lens is only 0.5x. 

That's what I meant.

farrell

Reviewing these posts has prompted me to shoot some more desktop macros with my long-idle 60.