Sign in to follow this  
boringuser

Getting a filter on the X100 lens

boringuser

I'm so confused. Hopefully you can help me. We've discussed this in a couple threads, and I've read the guide (http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/x100/users-guide.htm#filters) but I'm still baffled.

I went into a camera shop today to see if I could find some combination of rings and filters that would fit on the X100 and protect its lens. The guide says that you can reverse-thread a 49mm filter onto the X100. I was not able to do this in real life. What I was able to do is screw a 52mm to 49mm step down ring onto the end, and then attach 49mm filters. As would be expected this lacked a couple mm worth of clearance for the lens, which when fully extended bumped into the filter.

The guide talks about removing the filter retaining ring and taking out the glass. How can you tell when shopping online which filters allow this? Seems like you generally have to break the glass...

Then the guide says to screw the empty 49mm filter onto the real 49mm filter. So that would give you clearance. But it goes on to say you can screw the Fuji trim ring back onto the 49mm filter. This does not seem to make sense, given that the lens takes the 52mm step-down ring...

I am utterly confused. If someone could point me at precisely the parts I need to buy to make this work I can't even tell you how grateful I would be.

Thanks!

-Eric

Call_me_JC

Actually I just watched the complete video one more time (it had been a while) and no it is not helping to answer your question since he's using the adapter ring.

Sorry about that...

-JC

seaton carew

Play safe you have paid big money to own the X100 why skimp. The complete package looks so cool

HartlepoolMonkey31

Theys aload of ways ive seen on the internet to put filters on cheaply , but i would just rather buy the filter adaptor after spending all that money on the camera .

xtianyves

@boringuser: While I've since gone the official and more expensive AR-X100 + LH-X100 filter adapter and hood route, here's what I did to get a filter on the X100:

X100 Filter Hack

In this order: first, attach a 52mm to 49mm step-down ring, next a 49mm to 52mm step-up ring, and finally a 49mm clear UV filter.

One thing to keep in mind with this is that some circular polarizers do NOT work when mounted backward as would be the case with this method.

Here's a link to other shots of my method:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=88686191%40N00&q=Filter+hack&m=text

Were you trying to reverse thread a slim filter?

I believe the reason a 52-49mm step down filter works is because the whole inside is 49mm threaded. Some of these will be too short however, as you found. Also, Ken Rockwell mentions threading on the original fuji ring to the end of the reversed filter only for the sake of decoration.

Check out the cheaper LH-X100 hood and adaptor ring knock-off kits available on eBay, it might be cheaper in the end.

boringuser

Thanks, all. This is actually quite helpful. I would like to purchase the real deal but unfortunately I don't have a lot of discretionary cash left after paying $1200 for a camera. ;-) Even the knock-offs on eBay are pretty expensive.

ehiris

I have the 52-49 step down directly on the camera, then the 49 filter with broken glass. You can get a kit of three filter for 10 bucks from Amazon and you'll probably never use the fluorescent anyway, while the CPL will be useful when used facing forward. Then I have another 49 mm uv filter. On top of that filter, I have a hood. I'll share a photo later.

To break the glass I used 2 ziplock bags, a hammer and screwdriver. (pay attention to clean all the broken glass and not cut yourself.)

The parts I mentioned:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G403CE - step down for 4$+shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Zeikos-ZE-FLK49-Multi-Coated-Filter-UV-CPL-FLD/dp/B001KNDWRY/ - 49 mm filter kit with CPL, UV, and Fluorescent filters. - 13$

http://www.amazon.com/49MM-metal-Pentax-Takumar-standard/dp/B0031CPCXO - lens hood for 9$

Total ~26$. The knock-off is double that but looks fancier. However, with the knock off, you get a silver hood screaming for attention and you will still need filters.

Steve_A

The method I use stems from the fact my other camera is a Lumix GF1 which takes 52mm filters which I already have a selection of (UV, IR, CP).

On my X100 I mount the AR-X100 ($40), this gives me a 49mm female thread.

Onto that I mount a 49-52mm step-up ring ($1.50) to give me a 52mm female thread.

I can now mount either a 52mm UV filter, and/or a 52mm Circular Polariser filter as needed.

These are then protected on the camera with a 52mm centre-pinch lens cap ($5)

To prevent flare, on the outside of filters I mount a 52mm petal lens hood ($5)

52mm lens hood . The lens cap can attach to the outside of this.

I use this lens hood rather than the Fuji one because its not only cheaper, but is on the outside of my Circular Polariser, so I can still rotate it to achieve polarisation.

I hope the above makes sense. It worked out cheaply and I dont need to mount anything backwards (CP especially as it wont work) or break any filters to make a spacer.

@Steve_A, do you have any photos of your X100 with the lens hood and/or 52mm filters attached that you could share?

Steve_A

Will do, I'll take some tonight and post here to give a visual idea of whats occurring.

sOrn

@Steve_A, great to hear that from you. In fact, that was my plan too. I have placed order to get a 52mm-49mm step-down ring and 49-52mm step-up ring and then will be getting a 52mm UV filter to be sort of like protecting the lens, and then lens cap and lens hood. I am still waiting for my delivery. I couldn't be 100% sure it works perfectly that's why i would want to wait until i got my step-down and step-up rings first then only will look for 52mm filter and lens hood. Will you think this will be fine? Would love to see your combination too.

Steve_A

Please excuse my use of direct flash in these. Its winter time and dark by the time I get home.

This is a pictorial representation from my post a couple above this one.

X100 and AR-X100 adapter ring

This is X100 with AR-X100 adapter ring not yet mounted.

AR-X100 fitted

AR-X100 now fitted providing a 49mm female thread to use

stepup ring fitted

49mm to 52mm STEPUP ring fitted. I do this because all my filters and lens cap is 52mm plus my lens hood you'll see shortly.

lens cap fitted

A 52mm lens cap now fitted with string to prevent loss (I can now put away my Fuji X100 lens cap - no longer needed). I could mount a 52mm UV filter or 52mm CP filter at this point too.

lens hood fitted

A 52mm lens hood designed for 18-55mm canon or Nikon DSLR kit lens can now be fitted.

No Vignetting occurs because its designed for 18mm lens, and X100 is 23mm.

lens hood from above

How the lens hood looks from above. Certainly bigger than the X100 one, and does effect the OVF, but no problems using the EVF.

All worked out very cheap as detailed in above post.

lens cap fitted again

Lastly, the lens cap can be fitted to the lens hood.

I use this configuration because I like using a CP filter to increase cloud contrast and deepen the blue skies, whilst also using the lens hood. The lens hood can be rotated by hand to rotate the CP filter to achieve max polarisation.

StanleyMcguffin

@Steve_a

i like that i,m doing that to mine thanks for the photos

FXR

Hi all, my first post in this forum. I ordered an X100 and I'm still waiting for it. ;-)

On the video we can see that the Original lenscap fits and stays in place by using a configuration with a KENKO 49mm filter with the adaptor ring.

I'd like to know if this Original lenscap can fit also on a B+W filter or a Hoya filter as well ? Did anybody have such good experience ?

xo

>:D<

adanac

X100 Frankencamera

The one major reason for wanting the official X100 adapter is your filters will face the right way. If you plan on using filters that need to be rotated in normal course of use (say a polarizing filter) then having them face forward is the only practical way of going.

If you want to go on the cheap, find a low cost Tiffen un-coated filter - whatever you can find - the type that has a retainer ring holding the glass in. Remove the retainer ring and the glass will fall free. Then remove the trim ring from your X100. Install the Tiffen filter backwards on your X100. Then install your proper multicoated UV (like a decent Hoya or...) or whatever filter you plan on leaving on the lens. Then install the trim ring. Voila, done.

Now... if you are wondering why my instructions do not match the photo above, I've added a second empty Tiffen filter on front of my Hoya UV filter, and then the X100 trim ring. Why? I tried it as a lark to see if the additional projection forward would a) act as something of a lens hood (it does seem to) and B) cause vignetting (this doesn't appear to happen) and c) get in the way of the OVF (it does... just a little, in the lower right corner. Hardly noticeable to me but might bother others. Since building out the Frankencamera I've put more than 4000 exposures through the X100 so clearly the depth isn't bothering me. I don't even mind how it looks.

Why did I go this route rather than buying the expensive "official" swag? Because I was heading out on a multiweek trip and needed a solution right the heck then.

I'm so used to it that I think I'll leave it until I feel so moved as to change over.

bart613

The thing that annoys me most with those filters is the fact that if you put them on, you can't use the official X100 leather case anymore - simply lens + filter are too long for it to close :(

davidplatt

I bought the real x100 filter adapter with hood. The neat bayonet hood will cut down on your flare!

The great thing is that finally the front of the camera is sealed. Pro B&H uv skylight 49 mm. An excellent ultra thin and transmissive multi coated filter.

With all the plastic sealed inside I can breath a sigh of relief.

I wish the camera case was just a little deeper in the lens cup however. I don't have room for a lens cap, but I guess that what the case becomes.

chapster

Ok i'm still not getting the video setup. I just bought a B&W uv skylight 49 mm and have attached it to the x100 filter adapter but I still can;t use the original cap.

In the video they are using a kenko P.L 49mm. I have looked this up and am not seeing anything that is that thick. Am I missing something is there another adapter ring attached to the filter. I have found Kenko UV filters but they are thin.

Can someone explain how I can use a filter plus use the original cap. If not using cap also be able to use hood along with filter.

thanks