Bob_Boyer

Been Wandering Around Michigan...

Bob_Boyer

Here's what turned up in between the rain days.

McCormick's Creek Bridge.jpg

Pentwater Sunset 2.jpg

Hamlin Park 2.jpg

Silver Lake Dunes.jpg

Lake Huron Sunset 2.jpg

Bob_Boyer

The trip turned into a tour of lighthouses.

Old Presque Isle Lighthouse 1.jpg

Forty Mile Point Lighthouse 1.jpg

• Like 1

robthebruce

Hi Bob. The images 'pop' without too much contrast. 

Can you tell us your camera and lens details please?

Bob_Boyer

Thanks for that, Rob. I'm using an XT-1 with the 16-55/2.8 for everything right now. I love this lens and have found that it does everything that my 14 and 18-55 did as well, if not better. All of these are shot with an old Nikon circular polarizer I kept from my professional days. I try to get as much of the image complete in-camera as possible. After that, I've found that I'm bypassing the RAW processing and using the Velvia simulation JPEGs as the base for the final image, which is saved as a TIFF file. I'm shooting for highlights and using the shadows/highlight sliders in PS to open up the shadows before playing with the levels slider just a bit, usually to lighten things enough that the whites are clean. There were one or two from the trip where I also found that pulling the highlights just a touch helped with controlling the contrast but that's kind of a last resort. The only seriously manipulated image is the one of the sand dunes; I was forced to shoot in the middle of the day. I ended up really pulling the levels slider toward the dark end of things to get that shot warmed up.

As I said in that other thread about film simulations that Velvia was my go-to landscape film for many, many years, so I'm used to working with it and like how it provides that pop - if you can control the contrast.

Here's a final lighthouse shot from Whitefish Point, the piece of real estate made famous by Gordon Lightfoot's telling of the story of the Wreck of The Edmund Fitzgerald:

Whitefish Point Lighthouse 1.jpg

robthebruce

Thanks Bob for the pics. Having the polarising filter has certainly helped. I think it is time I got one.

Like you, I use the 16-55 f2.8 and love its rendering and contrasty feel. I still use my 14mm Fujinon when needed, and a 50-140 f2.8 for the longer shots. I have the 23 f1.4 which is a really good lens too, but not often used due to the convenience of the zoom. I shot the detail of the window on this site using it. 

The light in Australia is quite different from the USA and Europe, more like central Africa. It is hard, really bright for most of the year and has a very yellow tinge to it. In outback Australia the dirt/soil is red and this gives it a different feel again. The gumtrees emit eucalyptus oil and this gives the air a blue haze which gets more noticeable on hot days. So unless you shoot early morning or late evening, its hard to get a good landscape picture. You can view mine at https://www.flickr.com/photos/robculhane/

Final comment re: Gordon Lightfoot. I loved his music but he was not played very much over here in the late 1970's. He was with Crosby, Stills and Nash and others of that generation, a good wordsmith and musician. 

Regards, Rob

robthebruce

1681343272_KirstenandChristophermeetingupinCanberrainJulysmaller.thumb.jpg.36d4f3fac5b0f5d586d3239aebd2398e.jpg

Thanks Bob for the pics. Having the polarising filter has certainly helped. I think it is time I got one.

Like you, I use the 16-55 f2.8 and love its rendering and contrasty feel. (The photo above was taken with this zoom.) I still use my 14mm Fujinon when needed, and a 50-140 f2.8 for the longer shots. I have the 23 f1.4 which is a really good lens too, but not often used due to the convenience of the zoom. I shot the detail of the window on this site using it. 

The light in Australia is quite different from the USA and Europe, more like central Africa. It is hard, really bright for most of the year and has a very yellow tinge to it. In outback Australia the dirt/soil is red and this gives it a different feel again. The gumtrees emit eucalyptus oil and this gives the air a blue haze which gets more noticeable on hot days. So unless you shoot early morning or late evening, its hard to get a good landscape picture. You can view mine at https://www.flickr.com/photos/robculhane/

Final comment re: Gordon Lightfoot. I loved his music but he was not played very much over here in the late 1970's. He was with Crosby, Stills and Nash and others of that generation, a good wordsmith and musician. 

Regards, Rob