alantochterman

Color shift with adapted lenses ?

alantochterman

Good Afternoon

I have a good collection of Leica M and Voightlander lenses.  I was attempting to compare the corner to corner sharpness of my primes with my 16-50 kit lens at various focal lengths.  All images were shot RAW and post-processed in Luminar 3.   I tested the Color Skopar 21mm, the Ultron f1.9 28mm, an f3.5 35mm Summaron and a 35mm Pre-Asph 35mm Summacron, a collapsible 50mm Summacron from the 50s, and Pre-Asph 50mm Summacron from the 70s.

All images were shot in with my XPro2, ISO 800, aperture priority mode, in broad daylight at f8, and the camera's shutter speed set to auto.  The camera was also set to Auto White Balance. 

To my surprise all the images displayed excellent corner to corner sharpness.  However the the images shot with the kit lens all seemed "warmer" than the comparable manual primes.  The early Leica lenses displayed less contrast, but there was very little color shift between them and the other lenses. 

So here is my question.  While I can understand color shifting between lenses, especially from different years, why didn't the camera's auto white balance correct for the differences? 

My tests were by all means not scientific, but the color differences were noticeable.

Any thoughts ?

dem

Hi Alan. The auto white balance is a part of the problem, not the part of the solution. It can be easily confused by the lens coating. If you try shooting at a fixed white balance, say 3000K, the results from different MF lenses will be more comparable.