ShikijakuNina

Iridient Uncertainty

ShikijakuNina

I’ve been cataloguing and archiving my late husband’s LR library recently and quite by chance discovered he’d installed an Iridient x-transformer plug in (obviously, this also appears in my own LR library menu, though I hadn’t noticed). There’s also a desktop application.

As I understand it, this is mainly for converting RAF files to DNG, and as all his XT-1 images are DNG, he must have converted them. Other than that, I don’t have a clue about Iridient x-transformer.

I usually shoot with Nikon and convert all my NEF files to DNG on import. Now I’m about to take delivery of a Fuji X100F and wonder if it’s actually worth the effort of getting intimate with Iridient, or just do what I’ve always done and trust Adobe to convert my raw files...

These days my philosophy is ‘anything for a quiet life’.

Christopher

@ShikijakuNina Sorry for your loss.

Iridient X-Transformer is simply a better way to convert Fujifilm RAF files into DNG with greater preservation of fine detail. Adobe Lightroom's RAW processing is sufficient for most, but Iridient generally offers the finest results.

ShikijakuNina
22 hours ago, Christopher said:

@ShikijakuNina Sorry for your loss.

Iridient X-Transformer is simply a better way to convert Fujifilm RAF files into DNG with greater preservation of fine detail. Adobe Lightroom's RAW processing is sufficient for most, but Iridient generally offers the finest results.

Thanks for your reply, Christopher. Since my post, I’ve taken a few shots in RAF and converted them with Iridient, though I’ve made no comparisons with Adobe conversions, or virgin RAFs, for that matter. I even put an image through PS/Exposure 4 to see how its Kodachrome emulation compared to Fujifilm’s Classic Chrome, then realised that was I missing the point... whatever else it might resemble, CC is gorgeous and I’m blown away by the X100F’s jpegs. I might never shoot another raw file ever again!

Thanks again. N

• Like 1