Sign in to follow this  
StanleyMcguffin

Hats Off to Fuji

StanleyMcguffin

Here are a few of the snaps i have managed in the last few weeks with the X100 my d7000/lecia are just gathering dust.

x100new - 2011-05-23 at 20-27-44

lady bird

sun set

My Garden

window

x100_2 - 2011-05-23 at 20-26-39

x100_2 - 2011-05-31 at 16-46-18

x100_2 - 2011-05-22 at 19-11-16

Welcome to the community @StanleyMcguffin! I remember coming across your work on Flickr, absolutely beautiful. The lighting is just incredible. Glad to have you with us!

StanleyMcguffin

many thanks guys i have to say everybody keeps talking about this camera for street photography

but its one of the best cameras for nature/landscape photography i have ever used

captive

Really great shots. Did you tweak these much/ at all?

Mine hopefully delivered tomorrow, time for me to stop just reading about this camera!

StanleyMcguffin

@captive

Not much really

ok take picture 4 the garden one the camera is in full auto with Velvia setting shooting raw .I walked into the garden turned left point it squarely at the sun and clicked

went back into the house and sucked it into aperture

The bottom of the photo was completely black the top blown out. so i just used the shadow/highlight controls to pull the detail back out of the RAW the whole thing took about 15mins to make including walking in and out of my house

but thats pretty much my work flow i come from a High end Film making background so i,m all over Camera file types and what you can do with them

you just have to understand there is tonnes extra info in a RAW/RAF file it just a matter of work out how to get it out

I don't, want to be controversial but I would never shot JPEG it would be like making a movie in H264 .JPEG is a delivery format much same as H264 is ( eg blu-ray)

if your interested in RAW have quick read of this

http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/understanding_digitalrawcapture.pdf

Remember 12 bits are better than 8

i have posted in another image below this was pretty much black when it came out of the camera i just used a highlight/shadow on the centre on the flower to pull it back in and it even gave me a nice vignette thing as well

more flowers at sunset

AndyS

Gosh. I go back and forth so much about whether to shoot RAW. On the one hand, I love the post-production control I have, but the files are so large, and I feel like I should get the exposure right the first time...

This is the first camera where I've been pleased with the JPG output quality, but I'll always shoot RAW so I don't lose any data. It keeps me covered if I screw something up (which I often do!), and I can push the files further in post production if needed. I'm often amazed at what I end up with after Lightroom imports a dim, noisy RAW file with its defaults. The X100 does quite a bit of in camera processing on JPGs, sometimes it's tough to get my RAW file to match.

StanleyMcguffin

I,m just a sucker for having a big pile of data to play with, The in camera RAW conversion to JPEG is very good on this camera ...i suppose i just love tweaking

Good forum BTW Chris

captive

@StanleyMcguffin

Agreed. RAW is one of the great appeals of this camera for me. There is a lot of polish to be gained in post with that data not stripped out. Because I feel like I can carry this camera anywhere, where my DSLR will often stay at home because I need to decide before hand that I'm going to take it and use it. I feel like I'll be taking more quality, spontaneous, off the cuff photos because I can get results that I'm used to with my Canon.

Clayton

@StanleyMcguffin

Great photos. RAW is a whole new ballgame for me. Thanks for that link. I'm learning a lot. I've been shooting digital for a few years now, but really never bothered to learn about it like I tried to do with film. I basically accepted whatever the camera gave me. This camera and this forum have me learning more and feeling more exited about photography than I have in years.

Those of you new to using RAW files, you should consider Adobe Lightroom for managing your photos and 'digital darkroom' editing. It handles the X100's RAW files well, and even includes a profile to correct lens distortion and vignetting. It's a bit of an investment, and they do offer a free trial, but it's changed the way I deal with my data and has converted me to always shooting RAW.

Adobe Photoshop Elements also handles the X100's RAW files, and offers some of the functionality of Lightroom in a more simple package.

Since the X100's JPGs are so nice though, I plan to shoot JPGs (or RAW+JPG) at parties or casual events where the ease of JPG snapshots will save me time in post proessing. More often than not these images just end up being posted online, so RAW isn't worth the time.

Steve_A

Chris,

Are you aware that if you shoot RAW only (saving on memory card space), you can chose to convert it to a JPG in-camera with whatever "effect" you like later on.

E.G Take a RAW, and then in-camera you can convert to either B/W, Velvia, Astia etc in-camera to see how it looks on the LCD, then save it if you like the result. I think this is awesome myself because it saves trying to replicate these "effects" with a lightroom preset or photoshop action which never seem as good. Also beats taking just a JPG where you are locked into a single "effect".

StanleyMcguffin

There is actually quite a cool thing you can do if you want the best of both worlds and a bit of extra functionality

i put a eyefi pro x2 card in the x100 and with a bit of tweaking with the setting you can do the following and its very portable

Set the eyefi to only export jpegs set your ipad/iphone as the transfer point or "direct mode" i think its called not your computer

Fire away in RAW mode ( i,m happy ) then using the RAW button Develop the raws into JPEGs in camera the Eyefi card will then send any jpeg on the camera( not the massive raw files) over to your ipad/iphone automagically

so now if you were at party or realtime event you can publish the jpegs straight to the web from your iphone/ipad its a very portable set up

Down side bit of hit on battery life as the camera need to be on to TX the jpegs to the phone

i,m still playing with this setup but it quite cool and does work

Thanks for the tip @Steve_A, that might be a better approach.

That's a clever approach @StanleyMcguffin, I've been curious about using an Eye-Fi card, I hadn't considered using one to connect to my iPad or iPhone. It would be handy to upload some photos while out and about.

AndyS

I've been using an Eye-Fi card with my Nikon, and I can second the hit on battery life. It is really convenient, though. I probably won't use one with the X100 unless I have more than one battery pack.

captive

Have thought about these also. Might give one a go. I like the idea of getting some shots to my iPhone for some quick and dirty post processing and share.

WilzWorkz7

oooo...great shots...time to go out and shoot some weeds...hahaha...and i love thunderbirds.

dgho

Very inspiring photos... thanks...

Regarding the Eye-Fi, how the card speed impact on the RAW + JPG Fine ?