FinePixCamera

Turn on X10 and get "Focus Error"

Something weird is happening with my X10. I turn it on and immediately on the LCD is the message "Focus Error". How can this be when I have not even attempted to focus the camera? Has anyone else had this problem? I have to turn the camera on and off many times to get past this problem. Is there a start up sequence that the lens has to go through when the camera is turned on? Is this a sign that my lens is failing?

I have seen such a message before on a Fujifilm camera, though not the X10. But after having taken quite some beating (and a specific recent drop on a concrete floor), an older Finepix S5600 lost the ability to focus and would at start up present this error. No repair/fix tried - well beyond warranty, the camera was written off.

Focus Error - Fujifilm Finepix S5600...

And while this an entirely different camera and different class/generation, it may tell something about how Fujifilm uses this error message in general...

Try switching to MF before turning on, if it starts ok make a few shots at different distances then switch to AF and see what happens.

Try switching to MF before turning on, if it starts ok make a few shots at different distances then switch to AF and see what happens.

It's not a predictable event. It has only happened 4-5 times during the month or so I've had the camera. If it becomes more common or predictable, I'll try this.

I have seen such a message before on a Fujifilm camera, though not the X10. But after having taken quite some beating (and a specific recent drop on a concrete floor), an older Finepix S5600 lost the ability to focus and would at start up present this error. No repair/fix tried - well beyond warranty, the camera was written off.

Focus Error - Fujifilm Finepix S5600...

And while this an entirely different camera and different class/generation, it may tell something about how Fujifilm uses this error message in general...

Yep, that's the error.

Glad to see this thread. I am facing the same problem too. Autofocus error comes on occasionally. Then sometimes, it is ok. Have send it in for repair, but no use. because error is only occasional, after repair, tried. ok. Then a few days later, error is back.

Glad to see this thread. I am facing the same problem too. Autofocus error comes on occasionally. Then sometimes, it is ok. Have send it in for repair, but no use. because error is only occasional, after repair, tried. ok. Then a few days later, error is back.

I didnt send mine in either for the same reason. It only happens sporadically and then magically goes away. This makes an already unreliable camera (because of orb potential) already worse. I took my X10 out on a trip with some friends. They were all using their crappy cell phone, me with my $600 "expensive" camera (to them). Guess what? I got the focus error and it ruined my attempts to take images while we were out enjoying a day together. I now have cell phone images given to me because my X10 failed. Of f course, the next day, the focus error message is gone, and the X10 acts like it never happened.

Such a great camera for $600.

Send them back and tell them they didn't fix it.

Naw, That's no fun Matt! Geeze, they might just fix the camera and then he wouldn't have the excuse to whine about orb issue. He's been posting endlessly about how the X10 is no better than a cell phone. Now we get that heart rendering story about a ruined outting with friends lost forever because of the failed X10 and guess what? The day was saved by a cell phone camera! Phoney?!

Gawd, I wish he'd just get rid of the camera and move on to some other cause. I take the X10 camera out everyday, and it's not babied by any means - haven't missed a shot yet!

DSCF1716

yup, if you have no filter on it, and you are getting the focus error, something is broken in the lens, i find it quite ironic that this has happened to our most esteemed member, maybe he can go back on DPR and start another few of months of fear and loathing amongst all the x10 customers who are completly happy with their cameras.

Naw, That's no fun Matt! Geeze, they might just fix the camera and then he wouldn't have the excuse to whine about orb issue. He's been posting endlessly about how the X10 is no better than a cell phone. Now we get that heart rendering story about a ruined outting with friends lost forever because of the failed X10 and guess what? The day was saved by a cell phone camera! Phoney?!

+1

I didnt send mine in either for the same reason. It only happens sporadically and then magically goes away. This makes an already unreliable camera (because of orb potential) already worse. I took my X10 out on a trip with some friends. They were all using their crappy cell phone, me with my $600 "expensive" camera (to them). Guess what? I got the focus error and it ruined my attempts to take images while we were out enjoying a day together. I now have cell phone images given to me because my X10 failed. Of f course, the next day, the focus error message is gone, and the X10 acts like it never happened.

Such a great camera for $600.

I really don't understand your continued presence here berating the X10 without actually making use of your consumers right to refund or fix.

If you dont like the damned thing get your money back. If its within warranty keep on at them till its fixed, its your right.

If you're just unhappy with it then you made a poor choice a consumer. No company is beholden to fix YOUR decision choosing the wrong product.

put up or shut up

Im fully expecting a reply calling me a "fuji fanboy".

If I've learnt anything on the internet its to ignore people who call others "fanboy".

Pure speculation on my part, but given that the upcoming sensor swap FF will be performing will (by most reports) involve a replacement of the entire lens/sensor module, it's entirely possible that the "focus error" problem that you're seeing may be resolved in the process. In any case, it's an opportunity to have the issue looked at by the techs.

Of course, for some people, nothing short of the FF management team committing hara-kiri will provide satisfaction.

This is a true and serious problem and I want you guys to take it seriously instead of freaking joking around. It's not about being a Fuji fanboy or a hater..but facing the real issues here. Fuji needs to release a new firmware or make a recall or something, because this is seriously messed up.

Something similar happened to me some time ago. I wanted to take some pictures of my wife but the camera kept coming up with a "focus error" problem..so in the end she got fed up and really upset with me. A few days later she informed me that she is leaving me and getting together with a co-worker of mine who has a Canon camera which apparently has no focusing problems. She also took custody of our children so I can't even take unfocused pictures of them anymore :(

I also took some pictures at our last company party and my boss got so furious at the white orbs in the pictures that he fired me! So now I'm without a job, wife and kids.

Thanks Fuji..

I wasn't expecting this kind of life-ruining trouble from a 600 USD camera..

hmmm, my camera developed a focus error and because it developed the focus error, i wasn't able to capture images of a cellular sample that was found on a sattelite that crashed in the desert, and because i couldn't capture the image in time to send to the Fedral Government, it caused the Zombie Apocalypse. Bummer, I hate when that happens. :-(

You'd all be singing a different tune, especially the hyper shameless hypocrite, if the shoe was on the other foot. I doubt you'd be kissing Fuji's A$$ if your camera failed you time and time again.