Sign in to follow this  
FinePixCamera

How do you use the X10 viewfinder?

FinePixCamera

With regards to the LCD screen, when using the X10's viewfinder, do you turn the screen off or leave it on? I find the screen being on very distracting when trying to use the viewfinder. Yet when I turn it off, I want to know my shutter speed most of the time. I try to keep ISO values as low as possible so often I dont have a lot of excess shutter speed where I can just forget about that setting.

As a result of all this, I rarely use the viewfinder. I wish Fuji never included that, so that the camera could be even smaller. Or, made it a full X100 viewfinder so that it would be far more valuable.

As it is, being in the middle of these two extremes seems to really limit usefulness. Maybe others have a better solution to use the viewfinder?

kiwi

As a result of all this, I rarely use the viewfinder. I wish Fuji never included that, so that the camera could be even smaller. Or, made it a full X100 viewfinder so that it would be far more valuable.

My thoughts exactly. One of the reasons I purchased the X10 was because it had the viewfinder but I have found it practice that I rarely use it because of it's limitations.

WillH

I need to photograph aircraft flying over my ranch (developers). Try photographing low flying helicopters without a viewfinder!

kiwi

I would use my DSLR every time for that.

P.S. That may also be a good use for movie mode on the X10. :)

FinePixCamera

I need to photograph aircraft flying over my ranch (developers). Try photographing low flying helicopters without a viewfinder!

I'm curious about this. Are you trying to report on these planes? Are they not supposed to be there, flying over your property? Sounds very interesting. Just a guess on my part.

Do you turn the LCD off or leave it on when using the viewfinder?

WillH

The video is a great idea!

Flying the ranch is no problem but when they low fly over the houses it's hazardous. Also, buzzing the cattle just to watch them run is not good. The scared cattle tend to run into fences and are injured - not good. At least in America we have laws to keep aircraft above 500' for safety.

Sadly, I sold all my SLR equipment. The X10 is proving very satisfactory for the low flying idiots. It's good to keep a photographic record of aircraft that are continuously violating the residential air space rules.

CptSlacker

I use the viewfinder most of the time unless I need to frame a close shot that is greatly effected by the viewfinder parallax. I just find it more natural to hold a camera this way (Old film guy). Also, speaking of old, I cant see the LCD without my reading glasses, and I don't like trying to take photos while putting on and taking off my glasses. When using the viewfinder I limit the distracting glare from the LCD by having the LCD on the "info display" mode. This screen is mostly black and I can drop the camera away from my face to see the aperture and shutter speed. Yes, I can see these large white numbers even without my glasses. It would be nice to have this information in the viewfinder along with a way of marking the center of the frame that accommodates the parallax, but its not, and I knew this prior to my camera purchase.

FinePixCamera

The video is a great idea!

Flying the ranch is no problem but when they low fly over the houses it's hazardous. Also, buzzing the cattle just to watch them run is not good. The scared cattle tend to run into fences and are injured - not good. At least in America we have laws to keep aircraft above 500' for safety.

Sadly, I sold all my SLR equipment. The X10 is proving very satisfactory for the low flying idiots. It's good to keep a photographic record of aircraft that are continuously violating the residential air space rules.

Wow..does that happen a lot? I would be furious at idiots who did that and would report them too. Who do you call, the FAA? What is the penalty?

robk47

I wanted the camera because of the viewfinder and the fast lens. I keep the LCD in the info display mode as well. By experimenting with various focal lengths, I have become somewhat adept at getting the frame to be what I want and the focus as well. Often, I have to shoot a tad wider or aim just above what I would want as the top of my frame to make sure I have it, but holding the camera at arm's length and looking at the LCD is not what I do in my view of photography. Yes, sometimes, I cut off the top of a head or miss part of the main subject to the left or right, but for the most part, it gives me what I want it to give me and thus it makes me feel like I am using a real camera!

wander

I have drifted to using the viewfinder 90% of the time. The view finder was one of the dealer unbreakers for the X10 for me. I have gotten used to no info, just composition and over filling the viewfinder cos it sees 85% of the actual frame. I've usually already set A or S before composition so whatever else happens is a mystery.

HFM

For street photography at night etc or other times when I wish to be discreet, I like to use the OVF, turn off the screen and go in EXR-auto and just trust the camera :) It's also fun not to review the photos until you come home and see what you came up with. Sort of like using a film-camera ;) Also I turn off all sounds and the AF focus light so it's very stealth photography :D

The rest of the time I prefer to be able to see the exposure information and focus points, so I rarely use the OVF for critical/important photos where I won't get a second chance or having a wrongly focused/composed image is unacceptable and stay with the LCD.

cuteseal

I'm considering buying the X10 for travel - I imagine a DSLR user (I use a Canon 7D) would be frustrated by the OVF? Or is it something that you can quickly grow accustomed to?

Davoe

This has been enlightening.....I'll try to use it more, right now, I use the screen 100% of the time so I can make sure it's focused on what I want.

FinePixCamera

Can the sounds be turned off and the autofocus light left on?

Yes, volume controls are available for camera functions. I have these all turned off but still have the focus light left on.

MMitchell

For street photography at night etc or other times when I wish to be discreet, I like to use the OVF, turn off the screen and go in EXR-auto and just trust the camera

:)

It's also fun not to review the photos until you come home and see what you came up with. Sort of like using a film-camera

;)

Also I turn off all sounds and the AF focus light so it's very stealth photography

:D

The rest of the time I prefer to be able to see the exposure information and focus points, so I rarely use the OVF for critical/important photos where I won't get a second chance or having a wrongly focused/composed image is unacceptable and stay with the LCD.

I don't know if I could do this in the long run I believe it is important to know and pre set your camera, however it works really well for times with the photographer wants to take some quick Street shots.

HFM

I don't know if I could do this in the long run I believe it is important to know and pre set your camera, however it works really well for times with the photographer wants to take some quick Street shots.

Agreed, that why I wrote I only do this when discretion is key and I want the image regardless of it's perfectly exposed or not :) However, don't write off the EXR-Auto mode of the camera, it is by far the best auto-mode I have seen on any PnS/DSLR. It continues to surprise me.

MMitchell

><font style=A long walk by Matt Mitchell" alt="EXR 1" />

><font style=Line for the party by Matt Mitchell" alt="EXR 2" />

Both shots taken with EXR earlier today. I really like shooting this way mostly because of the continuous focus and I never use it. The only issue I have is the slow shutter speed because I don't break out of 800 ISO. Next time I take a trip to the city I'll try shooting in auto EXR for a while

Both pictures taken with Auto EXR.

No RAW.

Taken Jepgs with B&W film simulation - green filter

nick_cool

For me the view finder was useful trying to catch up birds, model airplanes, and real planes on the air.

It is also useful when I have the sun on my back and the screen can not be well.

Cropping the photo a little do not bother me at all.

Anyway, a good electronic viewfinder, including shoot data is not a bad idea.

WillH

Geeze, this thread has some hair on it!

The view finder is rather nice, IMO. I discovered long ago not putting the camera so close my face that the nose touches the LCD, I still get a full view and can actually see the green focus LED to the right. Dunno, works for me. I wear glass so not pressing against them with the camera is a plus. Via experience the center of the OVF is now just automatic.

Yes, I'd like to see some data in the view finder. I suppose a gun sight would be nice with brackets as well as the exposure data. I doing okay without anything but the view!

Took this the other evening using the view finder!

DSCF0210

stockae92

I think you can also press and hold the "Display/Back" button for a few sec and it will turn on and off the "mute" mode

part of my reason for getting the x10 is also because of the OVF. I am used to DSLR with no live view LCD, so OVF would have been nice. When using the x10, I ended up using the LCD most of the time because the OVF lacks any information. I only use the OVF when its outside and its too bright to get a good view of the LCD. But I felt like I was "guessing" how the photo will turn out because of the non-100% coverage and basically letting the camera decide what setting to use.

I really wished fuji have put the x100 VF on the x10, i would have gladly paid more money for it :(

FinePixCamera

I think you can also press and hold the "Display/Back" button for a few sec and it will turn on and off the "mute" mode

part of my reason for getting the x10 is also because of the OVF. I am used to DSLR with no live view LCD, so OVF would have been nice. When using the x10, I ended up using the LCD most of the time because the OVF lacks any information. I only use the OVF when its outside and its too bright to get a good view of the LCD. But I felt like I was "guessing" how the photo will turn out because of the non-100% coverage and basically letting the camera decide what setting to use.

I really wished fuji have put the x100 VF on the x10, i would have gladly paid more money for it :(

I too thought the OVF would be a lot more useful than it really is. The total lack of information means I virtually never use it.

WillH

Most of the cameras critics complain about it's release price being too high - still complain.

My first Kodak range finder camera, way back in the 60's, doesn't have any information or targets in the view finder. So guess I'm just used to OVF being blank except for the image. I pretty much know what the shutter speed, aperture opening, outta be with a certain ISO setting, given the lighting available. Don't really need to see it in the view finder once the camera is set.

richheath

I tend to use the OVF in very bright light, but also sometimes just for the hell of it - it feels right putting a camera up to your eye - it's what I've always done...

Sometimes I actually use both eyes, because of the 80% FOV. I also do this with the LCD on the back, keeping one eye on the LCD and the other on the scene in front of me - comes in very handy for timing critical things like waves - and helps to prevent me getting too wet!

I've also found a tendency toward first studying the scene through the LCD and then once I'm familiar with what's in front of me, putting the OVF to my eye to really concentrate on composition - my mind can fill in the blanks (extra 20%).