Camera straps - What do you use?

Christopher

@Digital_Nomad was that Tripman? I found him responsive, but Im ordering a second for my D90 and they dont have any of the ones I want in stock so ordered from US last monday and am awaiting.

I didn't see anyone mention the Snapr bag from Black Rapid. I love this bag. My X100 with an extension filter and UV filter fit perfectly. I use the bag to store the camera at home and while traveling. The bag can be removed so the camera stays on just the strap. And when you don't need either it also comes with a simple wrist strap. A set of clips make it easy to change the configuration. I highly recommend this bag:

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/snapr35/

Canon5dkid, did you inadvertantly order one without the split ring attachment? I noticed when I ordered an A&A strap from Popflash that there were some that had attachments meant more for DSLR...ie, the narrow webbing loops. If so, you should be able to exchange it.

Canon5dkid, did you inadvertantly order one without the split ring attachment? I noticed when I ordered an A&A strap from Popflash that there were some that had attachments meant more for DSLR...ie, the narrow webbing loops. If so, you should be able to exchange it.

hey i have no idea it just looks like the placement of where the silver attachments are on my A&A strap is opposite from all the pictures i have seen other people post of their straps so i dont know if i have the wrong one or if im just missing something?

@Canon5dkid. Can you post a pic? It sounds like you got the wrong one. You definitely need split rings to attach it to the lugs on the x100. (note: it's a ring like a tiny key ring) Good luck.

I ordered both the Luma LoopIt and the Black Rapid SnapR 35 to see which I liked best, and I have to say it was no contest: The LoopIt is a much higher quality product with a more sophisticated attachment system. Anyone else using the LoopIt?

Ah, thanks escimages, I had pretty much narrowed it down to those two as well, so I think I will go with the LoopIt!

Canon5dkid, I had another thought of what may be confusing about the attachment... if you do have the correct one, with the split rings, you pop the leather bits over the lugs on the camera first (they protect the finish), and then attach the split rings. It is a bit fiddly, but once on it is great. Looking at the photos on Steve Huff's site may help, under a post titled "Pimped out my Fuji X100 a bit..."

Anyone else using the LoopIt?

I am. I've been using it for a little over a month, it's great most of the time, and occasionally not what I want. Go figure.

The strap is plenty comfortable and very adjustable, but I find that it rotates around my chest seemingly on its own as I walk around. In use I prefer it when I also have my shoulder bag on as it makes the camera quick and easy to access. However I think I would prefer a traditional neck/shoulder strap for the times I go out with JUST the X100. Trouble is, deciding which neck strap can be a real bear. In summary, the Luma Loopit is a great option if you are a fan of sling-type straps. It works great, but there are times I just want something else.

Hi all what I did was look around for an old 60's camera case strap, till I found one I liked,and use that ,looks AMAZING,50yr old worn,silly to buy new when there are so many really cool straps just sitting somewhere to be given a new life.

Re. Gordy Straps -- I must admit, I still think this strap is a little 'bulky' and it felt stiff and awkward at first. I used a bit of baseball glove oil to soften it up and over the past few weeks of use, it's getting softer still. Once it's actually ON my wrist though, it's very comfortable and does make the X100 feel secure.

Anyone else having trouble with the the A&A straps getting in the way while shooting. I bought the 103n and there seems to be no good method of getting it out of the way during use except to have it lay flat down the side of the camera, which isn't the most convenient if you are using it as a neck strap. I guess I'm used to straps being really thin near the terminations so I can easily have the strap go between my index and middle fingers while shooting. I'd be interested if the silk strap (acam 301) has the same problem.

Well...I actually made my own. It started when I couldn't find a Kindle case that I liked that wasn't ridiculously priced and I was tired of using a plastic bag as my kindle case. haha So I went to the local equivalent of a Goodwill (I live in Belgium) and got super lucky with a €5 leather pillow in great condition and the exact color I was searching for:

photo2.jpg

So I took out the stuffing, ripped out the zipper and the seams and I was left with two large great pieces of quality leather. So I made me a kindle case:

photo1.jpg

It's not perfect, and it's a little bit of a rustic feel to it...but that's kind of what I was going for...and this was my first sewing project in a long while!

Then I got my x100 this week and was looking at my different strap options...I thought about a Luigi case from Italy, but they're SO expensive. So I thought about maybe getting one of their shoulder straps, but honestly 1) if I carry it on my shoulder, it would easy to for someone to run by and grab it off my shoulder and just run like hell (I'm not from a place where this would happen, but I've traveled to a few...) 2) if I wore across my body like a messenger bag, theft would no longer be an issue, but it would be rendered difficult to use quickly and easily and 3) if I wore it around my neck, I'd look like a dork and a professional tourist...and I'm 22...I may be a closeted full-time dork (and, of course, the occasional tourist), but I don't want to look like one in public. haha

So that's when I looked around a realized I still had a pretty good bit of leather left from just the one side of the pillow I'd used to make the Kindle case...So...I made my own :)

The results:

photo3.jpg

I did go back to the Goodwill-like store and buy a €2 suede women's belt to cut out the little part that goes next to the camera and around the hole thing - I didn't like how it looked when I used the same leather for that little part...So I got lucky again to find a suede belt that color, I'll admit! The triangle attachment is the one that came with the camera and...there ya have it! Taking into account how much of each product (leather and suede) I used, I'd say the materials for this cost me [way] less than €0.20 and it took my about 2 hours...the hardest part was getting the sides of the leather even and equal...but I found a quick way to do it and make it look smooth ;)

Totally worth it. haha

It also makes up for the lack of a grip on the camera. That is why I was originally desiring the Luigi case, because of the built in grip. But now that I made the wrist strap, it's the ideal length for my hand where (although the picture shows two hands) I would actually feel pretty comfortable shooting with one hand...it's hard to explain, but I guess it kind of provides a pivot point where you push the camera body into the small of your palm (is that what that area is called...?) and use it to steady the camera:

photo2-1.jpg

If anyone is seriously interested in trying to make their own, I can take some detailed pictures so you can see what to cut and how I formulated it and all and maybe I can give some instructions and tips...but it's basically modeled after Luigi's at leicatime.com....I just drew it all out and cut it out of paper first...then moved onto the leather [just make sure you have a thimble and a needle specialized for leather (they have a little bit of a blade at the end to help cut through it)].

I ordered the leather strap RAVDUC posted about a few weeks back, and it just came.

Seems ideal to me - very soft leather, goes on easily, about the same length as the Fuji enclosed strap, and seems solid and comfortable. Raining too hard to go out and try it out, but wanted to say so far it seems like a good deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300516386673?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I just got my MATIN Vintage-30 RED DSLR Camera Shoulder Neck Strap and I must say for the money which I paid it is an great deal (19.25 GBP). The leather is soft and the workmanship appears to be good. I can highly recommend this strap for those who have not yet been able to find something suitable. I bought the red version and it fits very nicely to my Mr. Zhou half case.

Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250878715143?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_5791wt_1104

Can you show the Contax strap on your Fuji? I'd be curious to see that one.

I just started using my Domke Gripper strap which works fine, better than the stock strap, but isn't quite what I want for this camera.

Because off my good experience with the Op/Tech USA camera straps i bought before for my dslr's i bought this wrist strap for the X100.

And again, really happy with the comfort and handling of this brand in combination with the X100.

Greetzzzzzzzzzz, Gino

6209578593_04f15566c6.jpg

I use a narrow generic black all nylon camera neck strap. It's about 1cm wide, 127cm long and 1mm thick. I'm not sure where I found it, but I think it was in a store with all kinds of second hand stuff. It probably cost me about a two dollars. I had it laying around for a long time. I use it, because it's stronger, lighter and more supple then leather. It folds easily, so putting the camera away in a bag is quick and easy. Also, this strap doesn't get in the way while making photographs and it can't damage the camera in any way. Finally, it's looks are simple and low profile. There's no text and there are no fancy metal or leather parts to it. If you're not into Leica-like fashionable bling, I can recommend something like this, but I think it's rather hard to find.

Rosseliot:

I noticed that your strap is a single leather piece one sided. You might want to consider hemming the sides the the strap with a reinforcing stitch or both sides just to make sure it doesn't split while you're holding it.