Sign in to follow this  
jedbuchwald

x100 in Colombia

jedbuchwald

Last week we were in Colombia for a week's vacation, and I took along only the x100. We also have a GH2, which I have kept with its 13-140 lens. Both it and the x100 fit nicely in a knockoff Billingham small bag, but for Colombia I wanted to try to shoot only with the x100. Below is a URL to the images, which I processed in Lightroom. Click on the bottom button for a slideshow. You can see the exif data in an individual image by clicking the image and then the i button at the bottom. The last two images in the series are of the Billingham knockoff with both the x100 and the GH2/14-140. These last two were taken with a Fuji 3D W3 set to 2D mode. It is very small and fits in the little area at the far left of the bag. Altogether the entire outfit, including bag and extra batteries, weighs about 4lbs -- which is about a pound or so less than the weight of my (former)sony A900 with two lenses, to say nothing of being much less bulky, which, to me, is very important. In fact, since I do not do that much video, to reduce bulk even further I'm thinking of selling the GH2 for the new G3, keeping the 14-140.

The camera really is quite something, though I need to get closer than with the GH2, where I relied too heavily on the zoom in situations where it really isn't necessary. Every image was shot in aperture priority and with autofocus, except for the flowers, where I switched to manual focus and used the AE/AF button set to lock focus. AutoISO is set with a base of 200, and I let it go all the way to 3200 if it needs to; shutter minimum at 1/60. I have owned quite a few digital SLRs, including a Sony A900 as well as numerous Canons, but only the x100 gives me confidence to shoot at very high ISO when the camera needs to.

I shoot entirely in RAW and found that the camera worked very rapidly indeed: there was hardly any delay shot-to-shot, including time for autofocus. I use a Sandisk Extreme 32GB card.

http://gallery.me.com/jedbuchwald#100833&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Christopher

Beautiful photos from your trip! I like your street photography, always nice to see the people of another place going about their day. That landscape photo from high above the city is amazing too, where you on top of a mountain?

jedbuchwald

Yes, Bogota is on a plateau surrounded by very high mountains -- about 9,000feet up at the church where I took some of the images.