Sign in to follow this  
captive

Shooting tips, tricks and shortcuts to get the most from the X100.

captive

Hi guys, great forum,

Well now more of us seem to be getting our hands on this camera, I thought it might be good to share tips and tricks we've found while shooting. It's no secret this camera has it's quirks and I find myself coming up with little shortcuts to remember so I can concerntrate on getting the shot and managing the subject and not be constantly battling menus and usage idiosyncrasies that often take me out of the creative side of taking a photo. "Damn where is that ND filter, what menu am I in!". My main subject at the moment is my young kids, and they don't sit still for long. That shot I'm trying to get is fleeting and more times than not I'm held back by this camera, the operation shouldn't get in the way, but then I've only had this cam a few days! While I love it and the images I can get are so great, in the early days getting to know it's quirks I find myself too often held back by the quirks. What tips do you guys have or have found that gets you the shot you want off the cuff, and any short cuts you might have come across that liberates you from carrying the manual with you!

captive

Just a quick one, generally, before I put my camera away I tend to leave my camera in a setting that's ready to go quickly go next time I pull it out. Most times I dive for my camera, I'm after a quick shot, so leave Aperture on "A", Shutter in "A" and function shortcut button to ISO, Focus on AF-S. So for a quick shot it's as easy as lens cap off*, turning on, Fn > set ISO, Command Control button to tweak the Aperture/Shutter settings, focus then fire. More often get the shot straight out of the holster.

*If you turn the camera on before you take the lens cap off and the lens cap in on snugly, the lens will touch the lens cap and put the camera into an error mode and need to be restarted. Have done this by accident a few times!

Christopher

If you find switching to 'Macro Mode' when focusing on close subjects to be frustrating, set the camera to Manual Focus and utilize the AFL/AEL button on the back of the camera to auto-focus. The camera can then focus into the macro range without the need to enable the setting. Keep in mind that you'll want to use the EVF or back LCD display when shooting up close.

mattmaber

I found Ken Rockwell manual quite useful -

http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/x100/users-guide.htm

Now set to AF-S focusing and back on RAW after shooting jpeg for a bit (I dont think Ill bother with the film simulations).

Set FN button to DoF preview (just cant work out the best setting for me)

ISO is auto iso - as I have on my Nikon D90 too.

That was all I think, minimal items in EVF and rear screen

WilzWorkz7

Kids? The the settings I would put for the x100

a) Drive mode: Multiple exposure. Often needed to have a speedy SD card with you.

B) AF-C

c) ISO 800 at least for indoors. 400 for outdoors

d) Aperture at F2.8 so as to maximise shutter speed

e) Shoot with both eyes open and through the OVF

f) Shoot at 3/4 image burst

g) anticipation (not exactly a setting)

With the above said, x100 is not exactly an action photographer tool but it will do.

mattmaber

I keep shutterspeed on Auto and vary the aperture, this is also how I use my D90.

Not tried the burst mode yet, and keep forgetting it has panorama mode - though i find it a bit tricky to use anyway

mattmaber

@captive (or anyone) In what way does the command control allow tweeking settings. does nothing for me. Maybe Auto shutter and manual aperture deactivtes it?

WilzWorkz7

I keep shutterspeed on Auto and vary the aperture, this is also how I use my D90.

Not tried the burst mode yet, and keep forgetting it has panorama mode - though i find it a bit tricky to use anyway

Pano mode is not that tricky...really...patience yes...tricky...not exactly. The tripod helps lots.

Pano Singapore Skyline

As for D90 versus x100 and for action shoot, shutter priority is way to go and at F4 you have general sharpness and that is good for kids...burst mode is definitely a must for active kids.

captive

@mattmaber When Aperture & Shutter Speed are set to "A", adjusting the Command Control (not the Command Dial below it) pressed right brings the Aperture number down and the Shutter Speed comes up to compensate to keep the correct exposure. Left brings down the shutter speed number. That is with a set ISO. Yep, manual Aperture won't let you do it.

PaulSixFour

After shooting manual film camera's (olympus and Leica M's) I bought this because once set up you really dont need to mess with its settings (Auto ISO up to 800, quick start on and all the sounds off seems to work just fine) exposure left on P (i.e.both A's), with Iso on the Fn and ND on the RAW buttons I wonder what makes this camera seem quirky ! With Shutter, Aperture, AP/SP/P and exposure comp all on physical dials I dont understand why folks even need to play with the menu system unless you need all the auto bracketing stuff etc..

I think if people thinking about buying this fantastic tool keep reading so much about the menus we will put them off...Have you seen the menus on other DSLR's and compacts....some are much worse and dont have the OVF/EVF that we enjoy ( had a play with a sony NEX7 the other day and hated the EVF....reminded me of an old sony video camera). If you shoot RAW and always leave this on burst or any other mode that takes multiple exposures you will soon get fed up with waiting for the files to write to the card (I find this annoying and use a Sandisk 95MB/s card)but you have to keep reminding yourself that its not what this was designed to do.

cprevost

Ha, I agree about the menu. Coming from an Oly Pen I found the Fuji menu quite easy and simple. For focusing get used to a quick switch into MF mode and using the AEL button when your subjects get closer than about 2.5 feet away. Once you get used to it you'll be able to do it quite quickly.

Hoffy

Has anyone had any issues with the Custom settings changing basic settings. For example, if I set the ISO to AUTO 6400 and then go and dink around the Custom settings, it changes the basic ISO to 200 or 800. What the hell?

Pellythecan

For some reason I can't seem to get my x100T to stay on the RAW setting.....can anyone help? When in menu under Image Quality, I only have Fine or Normal, and in the Image Size menu, i get a series of Large, Medium and Small sizes....but no RAW setting. Although yesterday, the Raw option was there. Have I accidentally pressed something?

gryphon1911

Depends on what mode you are shooting in as well as what ISO. Fuji blocks RAW in high ISO , and some settings are blocked depending on the mode you are shooting in.