Sign in to follow this  
p3t3or

View finder stuck

p3t3or

Ugh. My view finder on the x100 is stuck halfway between OVF and EVF. I've read in other places that the issue went away after a couple days. I'll wait a couple days before I call Fuji and report back.

mattmaber

I had that briefly the other week, gave it a slap a few times and it was fine.

I may send it off for the 12month free service when the time comes

FinePixCamera

I had that briefly the other week, gave it a slap a few times and it was fine.

I may send it off for the 12month free service when the time comes

What 12 month free service? I have never heard of this before. My X100 is almost 1 year old. Where does Fuji state clearly that they will service your camera after 12 months? Free of charge?

mattmaber

Im in the Uk so it ma be different for you but yes theres a free 12 (or maybe 11) month X100 service.

mattmaber

Heres my email from Fuji UK

Dear Mr Maber,

Thank you for your email.

You can use the link below to register the camera and we will send you prepaid packaging.

http://camerarepair.fujifilm.co.uk/pre_booking/

We do use Royal Mail for all our X100 cameras and we do not have any problems with them.

We hope this helps.

The MyFinePix Team. --- Did you know that the MyFinePix forum is packed full of useful information? Our free online community also features galleries, competitions photoblogs, news, and features. Join today: http://www.myfinepix.co.uk

Original Message:

Can you tell me what I need to do before my X100 is 11 month old to get the free camera health check?

FinePixCamera

Very interesting. I doubt Fujifilm China offers such a nice service. I could be wrong but my experience with their office in Shanghai has been most unpleasant.

p3t3or

Fine Pix, you can always send your camera to Matt so he can get it repaired for you in the UK. I'm sure he'd send it back :)

p3t3or

So I let about 3 days go by, still using the camera and it did not fix itself. I managed to knock down the black screen so I could use the OVF, but the EVF was stuck and not working (and making a noticeable struggling mechanical noise). Literally as I sat down to fill out my service ticket this morning the problem fixed itself and it appears to be in fine working condition again. I'm glad I waited because I would of been without my camera for an upcoming trip I am taking.

mattmaber

Fine Pix, you can always send your camera to Matt so he can get it repaired for you in the UK. I'm sure he'd send it back

:)

haha i can try, not sure if it has to be bought in the uk. it requires proof of purchase & being registered online

mattmaber

Literally as I sat down to fill out my service ticket this morning the problem fixed itself and it appears to be in fine working condition again.

isn't it always the way. mine started working within a few minutes.

fiddler

The store I bought from - Jacobs, did the online registration for me at the checkout, and told me about fhe 11 month check. I always get great service from them.

mattmaber

@fiddler - yeah my GFs dad (who owns a camera shop =D) said they should have done it with me and said. no matter tho

saxman777

I had the same problem of stuck OVF/EVF. And it happened together with the sticky aperture. I mentioned this issue to Fuji when repairing my sticky aperture, and I was told that the lens unit consist of lens assembly and EvF.

I hope yours is not related to a sticky aperture..

Bachibouzouk

Had the same problem with mine was ready to send it for repair when a fuji tech told me to try the camera without the memory card in. Surprise, the problem was gone! Took the old sd card and format it a few time and the problem never reappeared! It seem that small problem with the card, like removing it too quickly from a card reader, induce that kind of viewfinder symptom, stucking it close or halfway, and even freezing the camera! My card was a sandisk class10 16gb....exactly what fuji recommend.

p3t3or

I think we have two different problems. After I sent my camera in for the SAB, i noticed there was something a bit larger than a brown spec in the view finder. I think it finally found its way to the EVF screen and got it stuck.

Bachibouzouk

I was sure it was a mechanical problem on mine too. As the problem was on and off without any logical pattern. Sometime, just hopening the camera the viewfinder curtain would get stuck, sometimes in a middle af a shoot. But this never happened using the internal memory, And since I reformatted my card the problen never came back! Sorry if it's no help to you!

gatotlie

I had it too, always happen when you turn on the camera, i immideatly bring mine to fuji service center. within the day they fix it and it never happen again since

Tankgirl

I had this sticky blade problem in February but it righted itself. It was a pretty cold and misty day while out shooting so I put it down to the climate!

Today though it seems to have stuck halfway for good. I have noticed small specks of dust/dirt in the viewfinder in the past, and I wonder if they have found there way onto the blade.

When I switch the camera on and press the OVF/EVF lever it makes a short, quiet 'Buzz' as if the motor is trying to move the blade!!

madmaxmedia

If anyone runs into this problem, I used bollzy's directions to disassemble my X100 and fixed the stuck viewfinder curtain. After removing the top plate, the curtain is accessible. I only had to touch the curtain to snap it into place, and blew some air in case there were particles causing the curtain to stick. Problem solved!