Fujifilm X100 Firmware 1.21 Update Now Available

Christopher

Fujifilm has quickly corrected the issues introduced in 1.20 with manual mode autofocusing using the AFL/AEL back button with the release of firmware version 1.21. They offer the following details:

By updating the firmware from ver 1.13 or former into ver. 1.20, the following phenomena have been found. To remove these phenomena, please update into new firmware ver 1.21 and these phenomena must be removed.

The firmware update Ver.1.21 form ver1.20 incorporates the following issues:

When checking focus point by pushing AE-L/AF-L button in MF mode, following phenomena can be observed in relation to focus area settings. These phenomena are improved.

1.When the focus area is set to bottom right end position, the camera may hang up.

2.Even when the focus area is set to other area than above, focus may be hard to be established.

You can find the new firmware available for download here: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/finepix_x100/index.html

If you've updated your X100, please report back on your experiences with the updated MF mode autofocusing.

e01.gife05.gif

How To Upgrade Your X100 The Easy Way

1. Insert a fully charged battery into your X100
  2. Format your SD card in your camera. (Backup your data first, of course.)
  3. Download the FPUPDATE.DAT file from Fujifilm's global website

4. Connect your SD card to your computer, either with a card reader or with your USB cable
  5. Copy the FPUPDATE.DAT file to the root directory of the SD card, then put it in your camera
  6. Turn the camera on while holding down the [bACK] button to start the firmware update process. Follow the onscreen instructions.

You don't actually need to run the .EXE or .DMG transfer software, it simply copies the .DAT file to the SD card. Be sure your battery is 100% charged before starting the update. The upgrade should take about 90 seconds.

Once the firmware upgrade is complete, the camera will instruct you to turn it off. After you power the camera back on you'll need to set it up again starting with the date and time, and all of your custom settings will need to be reset. Be sure to write down your custom settings if you don't remember them!

If your camera is reporting your firmware upgrade version is not 1.21, you may be using an older firmware upgrade file. Be sure to delete or rename any existing versions of the FPUPDATE.DAT file on your computer before downloading the new firmware.

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds great! I was worried that this bug would linger for... Forever. You never know when Fuji decides that some firmware update should be the last at some meeting over there. I've been pleasantly surprised by the updates to the X100 in early 2012. :)

Sounds great! I was worried that this bug would linger for... Forever. You never know when Fuji decides that some firmware update should be the last at some meeting over there. I've been pleasantly surprised by the updates to the X100 in early 2012.

:)

Yes, me too. I think that for all theIr failing (software wise) Fuji has stepped up to the mark and listened to its customers' concerns and put some effort in to sort it. Mind you, they have had a bad rap of late with the bugs in there pro range kit...

I hadn't notice the MF problem (though Im usually in AF-S unless low light or close up).

Im getting much better and setting up the X100 post FW upgrade now =D

I've just used the link above to download the new 1.21 update from the Fuji global site - and it doesn't appear to be there - just has the 1.20 - ??

Thank you Greyelm - but still having problems - on MAC - each time I download from your link at minus.com, it comes up with the correct 1.21 in the downloads file but once I "show" the download in the Finder, there it is with the original 1.20 as well - in other words two download updates appear. What AM I DOING WRONG - had no difficulties downloading the previous firmware update at all! Thanks for your help. This forum is such a terrific resource ....

Thank you Greyelm - but still having problems - on MAC - each time I download from your link at minus.com, it comes up with the correct 1.21 in the downloads file but once I "show" the download in the Finder, there it is with the original 1.20 as well - in other words two download updates appear. What AM I DOING WRONG - had no difficulties downloading the previous firmware update at all! Thanks for your help. This forum is such a terrific resource ....

Try unzipping the file to a new folder and then copy that file to the SD card. If you unzip it to a folder that already contains fpupdate.dat the new file will be automatically renamed to fpupdate(1).dat leaving the old one (presumably 1.20) unchanged.

@spanner54, you may need to re-enable it after the update, firmware updates reset all customizations. You'll need to press the 'Disp/Back' button once when using the EVF or OVF, and then once again when using the back LCD for live view.

I'm really impressed with how Fuji continues to support this camera with useful firmware updates. On my old Canon Rebel XTi I think there was only one update in 5 years and there certainly were no improvements as significant as what Fuji had done with the X100. Way to go Fuji! Now if I could just easily toggle the Auto ISO on and off.....

Hurrah - I emptied the Safari cache - couldn't download the zipped file but got back onto the Fuji Global website and success - I now have 1.21! Thanks for the help - much appreciated.

Updated and all seems well.

This begs the question, what is the next thing you want to see updated in the firmware?

Personally, I think the x100 is everything I had hoped and more so.

One step forward, 2 steps back. v 1.20 was sublime. Having just upgraded to 1.21 I've lost the focusing frame in AF-S and it also no longer shows the parallax compensation frame. And the AF now hunts all over the place rather than locks onto where it should have done in previous incarnations.

I use M-focus a lot and I feel that the focus ring was actually better in v1.20.

Seems to be overexposing a lot more aggressively as well.

And yes, the level seems to have disappeared.

Oh dear....do I reinstall v.1.20? May have to unless they come out with a 1.22 soon.

@anais - found this in my Time Machine backup from 16th March, is this it?

I havent copied it onto my X100 and I can't remember what date 1.20 came out. i think this is the mist recent version tho

http://cl.ly/FavZ

(love that i actually got to use my Time Machine backup and it worked lol)

@mattmaber - that was very clever indeed! Will try the same. 1.20 came out about a month ago.

DP Review announced it on 21 Mar: www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/.../Fujifilm-X100-firmware-v1p2

But the link takes you to Fujifilm's site for ver. 1.21 only

Best regards,

Anais

Archived