Sign in to follow this  
wwjun22

This is how u can do with ur X100 (video shooting)

persiyan

Beautiful, makes me want to take a trip right now! Great editing too! :)

mmmikael

Really nice work! Would love to visit NZ some day, feels quite different from Sweden...

craigsalisbury

This is frickin AWESOME! what did you edit it with ?

p3t3or

hehe, I love Regina. Nicely done. I'm doing something similar to this for my friends wedding with the x100. What video editing software do you recommend? I have little to no experience editing videos.

Dennis

Well-made - by a very observant shooter! Nice use of aperture priority on the X100 in video mode. Manual focus? Velvia film mode?

I suppose a bit of post processing (with Adobe Premier Pro) has gone into this one e.g. streak light. I really like the editing, though it is fast paced (average shot length just a little more than a second) and I had to watch it several times and often pause it to see details. The editing also makes the skydiving appear like an integral part of the video. The typography is also a nifty touch.

How does one travel like this? Switching between video and photo all the time? How much "raw" material was shot to be able compile these five minutes?

Again; really nice and as everybody else, I want to go to New Zealand... :-)

...now watching it again!

zeejay

Hi, thanks wwjun22 for sharing this video and thanks for the compliments. I am not a videograper myself, I am more into photo shooting actually. But this time, I want to try different approach to document my trip. Everything I shot has no planning at all, it was just a spontaneous act even the editing of the video, it just took me 1 day to complete. I am not professional, it was just my passion. Further more, I want to show the X100 video capability, it is not the tool that matter, what matter most is the moments.

I have used up almost 30GB of memory to shoot all the clips and some photos. But the video clips took up 3/4 of my total memory. I give up photo shooting this time and dedicated most of the memory to capture the small clips. If I want to shoot photo, I just switch back to photo mode, quick and easy with X100. I use Adobe Premier Pro for editing with added light leak effect overlay with my video. No color correction on all the clips, X100 managed to produce vibrant color with Astia mode, my favorite film mode.

Many people complaint for the fast cut, as I said, it was just my spontaneous decision and I wanted to put in as much shots as possible just to keep as a memory for myself and my fellow travel mates. FYI, most of the glimpses only last for 1 second, just want to make it face pace and don't want to drag so long, it was actually quite long for a video like this which is around 5 mins. This is something personal but I am pleased that you all like it. There is so much space for improvements.

It is not something impossible to do, I just used the normal editing tool set in Adobe Premier Pro. Most importantly, you need to capture your favorite moments, try different angles, find a song you like and lastly edit it with the software you preferred. iMovie is not a bad choice.

I am now in love with video shooting.

Thanks you:)

flippant

That was wonderful, zeejay! You have quite the talent for conveying mood. That video is going to be a great memory for you and your friends!

Technically, I guess it was manual focus and aperture priority?

shadowdetails

Brilliant and beautiful... the very best example of x100 video on the interwebs... in fact, the only good example i have seen!!!

zeejay

Thanks flippant and shadowdetails. I was using only autofocus, manual focus is totally impossible for me to operate. And yes, Aperture priority.

Dennis

What I meant by manual focus earlier on in this movie mode context, was in fact AF-S (Single AF) rather than AF-C (Continuous AF). Wouldn't the continuous AF result in a lot of (annoying) focus hunting? Single AF gives you a fixed focus at the start of each clip and allows you to use this creatively e.g. you have a seagull taking off and gliding into blur at 4:39...

robthebruce

I've sent the link to this video to several people and showed it to others. I like the quick moving change of scenes as it helps keep a sense of momentum and direction. Also, many of the scenes have people and things moving in them which also holds my interest. So a good job. I've learnt a bit by watching it several times. Perhaps a change in your day job is in order as a result. Have you sent it to the NZ tourist board? The Australian government spent 20 million dollars on a tourist promotion and it wasn't any where near as good or interesting as this. The only thing they did better was use some fantastic HD video that gave it a clarity the little x100 could not match, but it doesn't matter in the end. It's all about content and the atmosphere of travelling you have captured so beautifully.

zeejay

What I meant by

manual focus

earlier on in this movie mode context, was in fact

AF-S

(Single AF) rather than

AF-C

(Continuous AF). Wouldn't the continuous AF result in a lot of (annoying) focus hunting? Single AF gives you a fixed focus at the start of each clip and allows you to use this creatively e.g. you have a seagull taking off and gliding into blur at 4:39...

I didn't try AF-C at all. All the settings were in auto, I just let it be. As for the seagull shot, was not my intention to blur it out, the camera auto-focus doesn't quick enough to follow the seagull. Most of the shot has flaws, but that doesn't result in something bad, but rather pleasing and surprising.

zeejay

I've sent the link to this video to several people and showed it to others. I like the quick moving change of scenes as it helps keep a sense of momentum and direction. Also, many of the scenes have people and things moving in them which also holds my interest. So a good job. I've learnt a bit by watching it several times. Perhaps a change in your day job is in order as a result. Have you sent it to the NZ tourist board? The Australian government spent 20 million dollars on a tourist promotion and it wasn't any where near as good or interesting as this. The only thing they did better was use some fantastic HD video that gave it a clarity the little x100 could not match, but it doesn't matter in the end. It's all about content and the atmosphere of travelling you have captured so beautifully.

Thanks robthebruce. NZ tourist board official FB page did featured this video. I am so glad and thankful for that. Yes, you are right, it was the content and atmosphere that matter. Although it was something personal, I am glad that this video able to get so many appreciation which is something unexpected.

maique

great one, zeejay.

just got a new x100 and your video is just perfect to showcase the camera's video mode. thanks.

Manveru

uhm... just to post my observation, but I went to this concert and recorded a video using the lcd display, the sound came out alright, and then in the next video I opted to use the (digital) viewfinder instead with my seatmates' comfort in mind... the resulting recording came out with this low buzz from start to finish of the video... this low buzz is undetectable in x100's speaker, but is very distinct when played back in the computer (and i'm guessing in tv's as well) ...

Eisho

Zeejay...Great little movie, wonderful and playful. Sky diving with the X100 Wow. Was that a X Pro 1 some one was carrying with your group, or the black X100 If so, any photos from that to share.

Thank you for sharing and the technical data.

Attackoftheminions

I rarely comment on things but I had to on this one after watching it.. I was looking around about the x100, I dont want to dish out tons of cash for a x100s since people already has eyes on x200 and buying a 23mm f1.4 will cost me double since I need to buy a xpro1 or x-e1.

you just made me decide to get a x100 even after 2 or 3 years now. this video is so great glad I was able to look it up.