X100 users check your camera lugs for wear from the triangle ring neck strap

dre_stylez

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And my sadly has quite a wear already. I believe I have made a comment on the aforementioned thread about it as well... Too bad Fuji, especially they don't agree to fix that under warranty terms.

I only use the right hand one as I use a wrist strap. Gordy's wrist strap with their circular lug. There is what could be either wear or a very small chip, its hard to tell.

Hopefully if this looks dodgy come the 11month service Fuji will fix it.

Poor form Fuji if this is a common problem and a very unfortunate oversight on their part. Is the X-Pro any different?

Have to say I owned many Leicas that never showed such wear. In fact none of my M Leicas ever showed lug wear, and several were >30 years old.

Not the way to build a classic camera.

Have to say I owned many Leicas that

never

showed such wear. In fact none of my M Leicas

ever

showed lug wear, and several were >30 years old.

Not the way to build a classic camera.

I have a 1950s Leica IIIf that shows major wear to the lugs and a Leica IIIa from the 1930s that shows little wear so I guess it depends on how much the camera was used. My X100 is 11 months old and has a couple of marks so it is a warning sign. I've changed the lug rings to circular ones in the hope that they will reduce further wear.

Hmm. This is bothersome. My "solution" is to try tying a bit of heavy chord between the lug and the strap to supplement the split-ring and to try to take the load off the split ring. This should help reduce the wear. Otherwise, I'd suggest going with a "thread" strap connection instead of a split-ring. Not good. My Canon Ftb that got carted around for twenty years on split rings shows no wear.

Mine has worn in quite a bit on the left side

:(

Mine have worn significantly too. Seems like another area Fujifilm skimped on quality to drive down their costs. My X100 is barely a year old.

Seems like another area Fujifilm skimped on quality to drive down their costs.

you're making a MASSIVE assumption there, it could easily have just been a simple fuck up. It happens you know.

you're making a MASSIVE assumption there, it could easily have just been a simple fuck up. It happens you know.

If that would have been a simple "f**k up" the way it should go is that Fuji issues an official statement saying "we f**ked, those who have those problems will get them fixed free of charge even out of warranty" and instead, there are numerous reports (especially on dpreview thread mentioned above) where Fuji asks to pay almost £150 to change the whole back of the camera since its apparently integrated and blame it on a wear.

If they are saying its wear effect even though I am using their original strap means this is how they designed it and as much as I love my x100 and gained respect to Fuji, they really dropped the ball here.

saw the triangle rings and it rubs into the lugs. Decided to change both to circular rings early into owning the x100. Not much wear and tear today. Part of the reason is that I use a sling bag that provides quick access to the camera and I use the wrist strap.

@bart613 if fuji fuck up a response it doesn't mean the original mistake is some kind of penny pinching cost cutting exercise, it can still be a fuck up.

Ill wait and see how fuji respond to this if it is a wide affliction to X100 users and judge them based on that, not on internet peoples screchings.

As I said, I changed to a circular gordy lug, my current x100 has never had the triangular ones on it, and still have a small chip so I'm not sure the shape of the lug matters too much.

Seems like another area Fujifilm skimped on quality to drive down their costs.

Perhaps to your limited mind.

@bart613 if fuji fuck up a response it doesn't mean the original mistake is some kind of penny pinching cost cutting exercise, it can still be a fuck up.

Ill wait and see how fuji respond to this if it is a wide affliction to X100 users and judge them based on that, not on internet peoples screchings.

Absolutely, me myself am going to try to get those changed under warranty in June so will see it myself as well :-)

Perhaps to your limited mind.

so your far more expanded mind would rather go with a conspiracy theory?

ok then, ho hum .. slides sideways

Every major corporation is driving down costs during this recession. Fujifilm's own CEO make a public statement that they were going to increase margins by driving down their internal costs.

Only your dim awareness of such things brings into this discussion fantastical "conspiracies".

Fujifilm's own CEO make a public statement that they were going to increase margins by driving down their internal costs.

And you make an egregious jump of epic proportions to state of your own mind that this is a result of that margin cutting.

Fujifilm's own CEO make a public statement that they were going to increase margins by driving down their internal costs.

And you make an egregious jump of epic proportions to state of your own mind that this is a result of that margin cutting.

Rule #1: Quality costs money. Let's look at the track record here, shall we? Since you clearly need a refresher:

* Fuji's inaugural X series camera, the X100 is launched with a faulty aperture, resulting in large amounts of publicity. Further, the X100's firmware was so bug ridden that it required and entire page of DPR's review to annotate it.

* Fuji's X10 camera is launched with a sensor so defective, that Fuji is forced to re-design it 6 months after product launch. But not before Fuji unsuccessfully tried to tap dance their way around this huge problem. Owners saw right through this weak attempt at damage mitigation and continued to demand a fix. Other complaints also appeared like that of of dust in the lens or viewfinder.

* Fuji's X-S1 suffers from the same defective sensor as the X10, again resulting in another repair operation soon to be underway. Further, reports are virtually unanimous that the lens for the X-S1 is poorly designed as it droops when fully extending. Several owners report shoving pieces of cardboard into their lens barrel, in order to provide support and keep the lens from drooping. A comical idea with a $800 camera.

*Fuji's F550 and F600 compact cameras have had many, many reports of decentered lenses. Many review sites went back to Fujifilm to report that their review sample was defective only to be told by Fujifilm that no, the camera is within spec despite a clearly visibly decentered lens.

And on and on and on....

The only things egregious are Fujifilm's relentless quality issues and your futile attempts to hold onto any factually informative information. If I were to be so unfortunate as to be in the same room as you, I'd hand you one pound sterling so that you could buy another 5 minutes of "how to have an argument lessons". Maybe that would help. Certainly the "getting hit on the head" lessons have gotten you nowhere.

Further, the X100's firmware was so bug ridden that it required and entire page of DPR's review to annotate it.

really? SERIOUSLY?!! had an X100 as soon as I could after it came out and the UI was (and is) a bit muddled, but that just sounds ridiculous.

It think our relative threshold for reasonablness is clearly entirely different so I can't see the worth in continuing.

I still contest the X10 is NOT the 'firestorm' you seem to wish it to be so.

The only things egregious are Fujifilm's relentless quality issues and your futile attempts to hold onto any factually informative information.

I'm not sure how my 'facts' are any less relevant than your assertions, Mr 'Firestorm'.

I know a local camera shop and i have asked about returns for all these Fujis my own albeit local small polling is that its not in anyway the firestorm.

of course DPR is self filtering as interested camera types and those that have searched online so you will get more of a firestorm there.

Also theres no doubting that the silent majority are usually the happy majority.

If I were to be so unfortunate as to be in the same room as you, I'd hand you one pound sterling so that you could buy another 5 minutes of "how to have an argument lessons". Maybe that would help. Certainly the "getting hit on the head" lessons have gotten you nowhere.

very funny, i guess i should maybe be offended and jump up and down in my own firestorm, but as I assume you're paraphrasing Monty Python Ill forgive you.

mine has wear like tiny cut marks .....it is most definitely a design issue

without wishing to start a storm or contribute to one i looked at the lugs under a loupeit is caused by dissimilar metal of different hardness and increased friction due to the nonconforming shape of the too small triangle lug mounts rubbing at the edge rather than supporting from below or too small wire used in the triangles

or a combination of the two... further ,the inside curve of the triangle connector is too small for the lug it comes in contact with causing undue pressure at the edge rather than support from below

. being in the materials conservation field for over 30 years

has taught me to look at remedies to design issues like this or describe their causes .

im not trying to be funny here

small circles would have spread the pressure over a wider surface resulting in less wear better spread over a wider inside area of the of the lug . i estimate the lug to cut clear through, assuming i use my fuji with the same frequency in 4-6 years

its a slow moving hacksaw ....im changing my lug connectors asap ....the lumix g2 lug connectors are triangular but rounded where it counts somewhat like a letter D....the lumix will be cannibalized for parts ,lol my OM-d EM5 has the same type connectors, the lugs on those 2 cameras are much more robust as well

thanks for this post ....i had no idea

Here's the "solution" I posted up earlier:

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I used 0.5mm "whipping thread" that is used for mending sails. You could also find heavy thread like this at a craft store for making bracelets. Be sure to tie a secure square knot. You want the loops of thread to be shorter/smaller than the split ring so that the load is carried by the thread and the split ring is there just for backup.

This is with a Gordy's wrist strap but it should work with any type strap.

The triangle rings that come with the X100 are thin so combined with the weight of the camera and rubbing you have very concentrated PSI of metal against the lugs and this is causing the sawing action and gouging. Moving to a round ring provides lower PSI (as there is more metal on the round ring making contact with the lug ) but it will still cause gouging and it will still wear through the lug but at a slower rate.

What I will be doing is getting some heat shrink tubing from the Home Depot and sliding it onto the round ring (use a couple of layers) and then shrinking it with a lighter. It probably won't even add a mm to the diagmeter of the ring so it won't impede it's movement inside the lug. At this point you will have the heat shrink tubing rubbing against the lug and it won't gouge it. The stuff is very tough and in the area it wears out, just rotate it to a fresh spot on the heat shrink tube.

You'll have to replace the heat shrink tubing every once in a while as it wears through (probably a ten minute exercise) but this will keep your lugs looking spanking new.

Archived