X100 users check your camera lugs for wear from the triangle ring neck strap

dre_stylez

The use of cordage between the strap and the lug is a good idea that is improved by using kevlar line rather than nylon or cotton string. This solution was passed to me by a guy at the Leica Users Group 5-6 years ago and it has worked for me very well ever since: that stuff does not easily wear out. If you go with cordage loops, however, it's a good idea to get rid of the split ring altogether

Leica lugs are actually well known wear points, both in the sense of the hole wearing through (they are brass and rather soft, after all, being rubbed by steel) and from being torqued around by the strap & split ring locking sideways on it and loosening the riveted base, thus causing light leaks. I've had to have lugs replaced on M cameras for both reasons; the use of cordage solves both these issues.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the XP1 have the same lugs? I will definitely consider using something different if it is. I have checked my x100 with gordy lug mount strap and it seems fine for now. May considering something different on the x100 as well.

The use of cordage between the strap and the lug is a good idea that is improved by using

kevlar

line rather than nylon or cotton string. This solution was passed to me by a guy at the Leica Users Group 5-6 years ago and it has worked for me very well ever since: that stuff does not easily wear out.

If you go with cordage loops, however, it's a good idea to get rid of the split ring altogether

Leica lugs are actually well known wear points, both in the sense of the hole wearing through (they are brass and rather soft, after all, being rubbed by steel) and from being torqued around by the strap & split ring locking sideways on it and loosening the riveted base, thus causing light leaks. I've had to have lugs replaced on M cameras for both reasons; the use of cordage solves both these issues.

Not sure I trust the cordage enough to completely eliminate the split ring. I'm a belt and suspenders guy I suppose. Thanks for the tip on kevlar.

with the kevlar, it's not the cordage you have to worry about - it's the knot. Tie a square knot, maybe double it, and melt the loose ends down til they form a knob snug up against the knot that can't pull through.

Believe me, that kevlar is absolutely NOT going to snap; even cutting it with a knife or scissors is damned difficult.

Just a thankyou to dre_stlez for pointing me to those OP Tech connectors.

I bought a pack of 4 and they are ideal and quite strong so I've bought a second pack for use on my Leica X1.

It makes changing from wrist to neck strap so easy.

re the Op/Tech System Connectors - Mini QD Loops mentioned above... Im obviously being dense,,, do they only work with op/tech straps or can they connect to any strap ?

edit e.g the neck strap supplied with the camera

best wishes ..simon

I just mailed my X100 off to Fujifilm USA to have the dust cleaned out of my optical viewfinder and my lens focus ring checked over, before my one year warranty period ends. I've brought the lug wear issue to their attention, we'll see what I hear back.

Ive also emailed FUji in the UK to ask how this is handled in the 11 month health check.

Ill see what they say, by the time my x100 is due a service in november it might be more widely know about.

I got a reply back already lol

I explained it was very small but they said they'd suggest sending it back to them for them to look at.

I shall try and delay it

I told them id rather wait and theyre happy with that. very prompt replies.

@spanner54 Its in the UK, not sure about other countries - this is from fuji

Thank you for your email.

You can use the link below to register the camera and we will send you prepaid packaging.

http://camerarepair.fujifilm.co.uk/pre_booking/

We do use Royal Mail for all our X100 cameras and we do not have any problems with them.

We hope this helps.

To have your 11 months check up on your X100,please send your camera to us,along with a covering letter and copy of your proof of purchase to:

Camera Service Centre

Unit 13 St Martins Way

St Martins Business Centre

Bedford

MK42 0LF

Hope this information helps.

Thanks @mattmaber. I'm in Jersey so it may well apply here as there is some tacit agreement between the Royal Mail and JerseyPost.

Oh, you have to register your camera btw.

My girlfriends dad (who owns a camera shop) told me about it, though apparently the shop is SUPPOSED to register the owner & camera with Fuji when they buy the camera.

London Camera Exchange didnt do mine (tho it was the end of the day and i was being impatient) so i just did it after.

If you buy a Gordy's, why not just buy the one that attaches with the string instead of the circle loop. Waxed twine to metal > metal to metal. Problem solved.

Unless you want a neck strap. Then just carry it via a BlackRapid or a LoopIt or one that connects to the tripod ring. Problem solved.

If you buy a Gordy's, why not just buy the one that attaches with the string instead of the circle loop. Waxed twine to metal > metal to metal. Problem solved.

Unless you want a neck strap. Then just carry it via a BlackRapid or a LoopIt or one that connects to the tripod ring. Problem solved.

+1 Oh, and Gordy's has a neck strap that attaches with strings too.

Im not sure I trust a strap attached by string, how easy is it for it to be just cut and the camera stolen when its by your side?

ANyway, I like the Gordys (have a wrist strap) but would rather use the metal ring.

Archived