X100 users check your camera lugs for wear from the triangle ring neck strap

dre_stylez

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you who fish, I just built a tippet material loop (13-pound test) on my lug. The whole operation took about 2 minutes. The loop, tripled, is strong enough to hold 39 pounds. It's virtually invisible. I then just clipped my usual wrist strap on and I'm in business at a cost of about 10 cents. Worth a shot if you have the material on hand.

Im not sure I trust a strap attached by string, how easy is it for it to be just cut and the camera stolen when its by your side?

ANyway, I like the Gordys (have a wrist strap) but would rather use the metal ring.

Possible. But, I promise you, if someone gets close enough to me with a knife that they can cut the cord and steal my camera there going to get a lot more from me than my camera!

@Matt: If you have a knife to cut the string, you could certainly cut the strap just as easily, couldn't you? The string is waxed and pretty tough. Obviously, yes it could be cut with a knife, but I don't have my wrist strap to keep my camera being stolen? The purpose of the wrist strap for me is for convenience, not safety. I've NEVER been fearful of the camera being stolen, because when the strap is on, the camera is in my hand 90% of the time. Otherwise, the whole thing (strap included) is in my bag...

And if the camera is in my hand, and is in danger of being stolen, then perhaps losing my camera wouldn't be my greatest fear. (But maybe this whole discussion depends on where you live... I don't live in a high crime area. Perhaps if one did, this would be germane)

I was more thinking of if you're on holiday maybe in areas you're not sure of or where tourists are targeted.

One should always assume that you are targeted when off on holiday. There are scammers and criminals virtually everywhere. Assuming your safe is the first step in becoming a victim.

... sigh. ;-) If they are stealing the camera - out of my hand - then safe is not defined as protecting my camera. (And hey, most people think the x100 is an old camera) But we are digressing here.

I simply wanted to offer the suggestion that the Gordy strap can be ordered with the string attachment which is very strong and secure. I think most of us who have it would tell you it works great with no chance of wearing the camera lugs! Win/win.

They'll be wanting to steal the camera from your side without you being aware of it, in a busy street.

There was a program on BBC about this recently with ladies having handbags stolen in this way in a major european city (i forget which, maybe barcelona) the high target rate on tourists is well known and they punishment for stealing from tourists was very minimal.

Anyway, yes it is a slight digression and whilst I understand the reason for the string straps, personally Id rather have metal there regardless of stealing or the lug wear.

I went with the optech mini loop idea and used the leather strap that came with the case. No twisting problems, no scratched body, and I can remove the strap easily for windy day tripod shots. I'm lovin it.

I got these through samples of lanyards at work and whilst Id love to use them It just doesn't feel right.

Also the distance to the camera from my hand is too long, i can't easily grab the camera.

IMG_5037.jpg

I got these through samples of lanyards at work and whilst Id love to use them It just doesn't feel right.

Also the distance to the camera from my hand is too long, i can't easily grab the camera.

IMG_5037.jpg

Yeah, I had a set of these around the house too. I tried them and it didn't work for me either. I finally used a bit of cord off a zipper pull. Works just fine. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

I received my X100 back from Fujifilm USA's repair department today. I brought the premature lug wear to their attention with a note when I sent my camera in, and they replaced the camera's front body construction, that the lugs are cast into, under warranty. I don't know if it's a revised part or not, but I'm not going to use the triangle strap rings anymore, I have an A&A strap that I'm using now with round rings.

As many of us are nearing the end of our X100's 1 year warranty, I highly recommend sending in your X100 to be cleaned and inspected. It might be tough to be without it for a week, but Fujifilm does a great job. My X100 looks brand new again, it's nice to get the dust out of the viewfinder.

great idea and good service from Fuji. Seems like their actively trying to have good customer service and for that they can surely be applauded.

I think the problem lies with the sharp ends of the triangular 'rings' wire breaking down the hard chrome plating of the lugs. Hopefully changing to circular 'rings' with smoother wire ends will eliminate the effect.

I recently replaced the metal triangle with a simple knotted, circular leather lace. It's tough as nails and creates no wear whatsoever on the lug. A good-looking, long term fix...

Just ordered a neck strap from Gordy (Gordy rocks, buy Made in USA) with the 1 3/4" string attachements, and no, I'm not worried about them not being able to support the camera's weight, see his weight test here:

http://www.gordyscamerastraps.com/index.htm#double

If they could hold a 25 pounds monitor (a single string, a double attached point would double that) surely they would hold the X100's 16 ounce weight. The monkey trap hold is cool too.

Lugs wear problem solved.

I went to my local hardware store today and purchased metal 1/2" split rings for 29¢ each, in the key making department.

I might try to find some smaller split rings online, but these should be more than sufficient. It's a cheap and easy fix!

Bear in mind that the mere rubbing of the metal against the metal lugs will cause wear, particularly given that the lugs are an unhardened metal. Either a string or leather strap will not wear the lug, so the "cheap and easy fix" of key rings is probably not a good long term solution. Just my opinion.

@pcg:

I concur, the problem is not the shape of the rings, it is inherent in the material Fuji used. Metallic attachments, whether triangular, round or oval, wear will will occur.

Looks to me the only feasible solution would be to use non metallic attachments and that's why I've opted for Gordy's strings.

Archived