Sign in to follow this  
MikeEvans

Formatting SD cards - camera name

MikeEvans

I find it frustrating that every time I format the card it gets the name "Untitled". Since I have several cameras I like to see the name of the camera in the SD name. Any views on this?

MikeEvans

Sorry, not quite with you on this. I just import to Aperture and, of course, name the projects. It's simply that I like to see the SD card bear the name of the camera so I don't get confused. Maybe I'm being too pernikerty.

MikeEvans

I just stick the card in the SD card slot on my iMac. I almost never use a card reader unless away from home; and certainly never bother with the cable connection.

macmook

I have tried naming the card from Finder, but it produces errors on reload into the camera. Then I need to reformat it. Another one for the firmware wish list.

MikeEvans

Yes, I've done that too, but there's no point if you have to do it every time you reformat the card. In the old days I never used to bother reformatting, except in emergency, so my Finder-added SD card name stuck. Now I've learned better techniques and reformat every time, I've noticed the problem. As you say, it's a firmware problem and I see absolutely no reason why a format shouldn't add a universal volume name that is compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux. It's logical that this volume should be the name of the camera.

mattmaber

Doesn't bother me tbh, the card is just a receptacle that I format when I start using the camera next so I don't see the usefulness of naming it.

Maybe stick some masking tape on the card and write the name of the camera on that?

MikeEvans

Yeah, maybe you're right. I just like to see the volume mounted on the desktop. As I said, pernickety. But I take your point.

mattmaber

I got way past putting special icons on my SD cards years ago ;)

pcg

Good thread. I was irritated by the identical problem, but learned to ignore it.

MRB

Mike - I'm with you! Let me know if you find a solution. At least when I put both the cards in the reader from my X-Pro2 one comes up as untitled and the other as untitled1. With my Canon camera both cards (CF and SD) are named EOS5D and if I put both into the card reader then only one appears in finder.