Sign in to follow this  
topgazza

No "Auto Flash" Available

I wonder if I have selected something in the menu that disables auto flash as when I am in A mode or any mode I only have forced Flash or Red Eye Slow available in the Flash menu. or is Auto Flash only available in certain settings

Yes, auto flash is only available in some shooting modes and A is not one of them. Here is an extract from Alexander White's book:

There are three possible settings for the flash unit: Auto Flash, Forced Flash, and Slow Synchro. There also are red-eye versions of all of these; the red-eye versions are available when the Red Eye Removal option is turned on in the Setup menu and Face Detection is turned on in the Shooting menu. (In a sense, there also is a fourth setting, called Suppressed Flash or Flash Off, which is listed as a setting for some Scene Position settings and for Movie mode on the chart at page 126 of the Fujifilm Owner’s Manual. However, I do not consider that setting to be a flash mode with this camera, because the flash is normally turned off by keeping it retracted inside the camera, rather than by using the Flash button.)

The Forced Flash setting, with or without Red Eye Removal, is available in more shooting modes than any other flash setting. It is available in the Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual exposure modes. Auto Flash, with or without Red Eye Removal, is available only in the more automatic modes, including most of the EXR modes, the Auto mode, Program mode, and several of the Scene Position settings. The Slow Synchro setting, with or without Red Eye Removal, is available only when the camera is set to Program or Aperture Priority mode (that is, when the camera is choosing the shutter speed), as well as a few of the more automatic modes.

Ah..that makes sense. thank you for replying. must check that book out. Its only my first day with the X10 and already I'm enjoying it. As a second camera after my DSLR...and in fact my Panasonic TZ10 its going to get a lot of use. So far the IQ is just amazing....