Sign in to follow this  
WilzWorkz7

Wilz x100 has done transforming...it is time to roll out!

WilzWorkz7

I think I have bought/collected the required accessories for the x100. So to help those who has yet to dress up, this is what I have done and why I do it in words and in pictures for your reference.

I hope you guys find this helpful.

When I bought the x100, the camera comes with 1 extra battery, 1 screen protector, a 16GB vanilla fujifilm SD card, a card reader, a puny tripod and a leather jacket.

So I promptly put them all up and the first thing I would want to do is to protect that fantastic lens. What's the point of buying this camera and then scratch it when it can't be changed like a DSLR? Hence the hunt starts for a protector of thy lens.

So the very first solution was to get the adaptor ring (the AR-x100) but knowing that it is hard to comeby, i tried the step up step down and step aside filter adaptors that I have been reading around. Sad to say, not easy to find it in Singapore and I made a mistake buying the wrong stuff. Good thing is that i get to exchange it for a class 10 8GB Sandisk Extreme SD card and it works well with the x100. Still the lens need shades and then the shop I frequent gave me the best solution. Till now I don't know why I don't frequent them first to get the filter adaptor in the first place.

It is a hi quality UV glass from Japan with pre-applied adhesives. So the only thing that one needs to do is to clean the lens proper and stick it over the lens.

5795703552_6aa9d2db5f.jpg

Next step is to get a remote shutter release. That's easy. I got a generic UR cable release to be used by inserting into the hole on the shutter button.

dcr_c.jpg

Hmm...that got me thinking. That shutter has that hole that needs to be plugged just in case liquid gets into the camera. And I also found out that the shutter is a bit too deep when I pressed it in using my finger joints. So I did some shopping for the soft release bip.

Not cheap for a small stuff, that's my reaction when I saw the prices for all the soft releases but good thing, someone made a post for a very small release that matches what I would want. After all I just want to plug a hole first, the height second to get the release working comfortable. The good news was that it is available in my country and that saves me some postage costs. Price wise it is not that cheap but significantly cheaper than what I have to pay for the branded stuff. That's from decameraconsultant.com.

5866529560_978bdb9074_z.jpg

I also have clip on neckstrap with the D clips at the end so that I can keep the camera in the dry box with the neck strap removed. That saves some space in the box itself. The problem i had then was the triangular metal clips that hold the camera to the strap and it moves around a bit when carried. SO i got it change to circular rings to make it easier.

3 months down my purchase, the leather jacket (full case) arrived. I went to collect it and was promptly disappointed with the feel of the case. Even though it comes in a fujifilm box, the quality doesn't match fujifilm's quality at all. It is faux leather and while the stitching is good, the workmanship in general is passable but not great. I came to this forum looking at the USD26 casings and it looks exactly like the same thing. I got to wonder if it is the same manufacturer? IN any case (pardon the pun), it is free and I will use it till it falls apart and maybe i buy the black one from eBay as a back up. Or I will get the real leather case when I have the cash.

The one thing that x100 should have is a wrist strap. Yes a neck strap is good when you need to free your hands but the wrist strap makes it portable. And following the neck strap, i need the D clip at the end. I have found some mobile phone strap but it doesn't look strong enough or made of the wrong material. In the end, i got myself a faux leather neck strap with the D clip for the mobile phone (a thick one) and cut it in half and made it into a wrist strap. being in brown and orange, it matches the leather jacket nicely and it is cheaper than what's being sold out there!

5865975851_85a3a06f06_z.jpg

The last addition would be the lens hood and filter adaptor. Thanks to Chris, i managed to save some serious money rather than using the original set and ordered through eBay. Incidentally, I was asked to collect the set from the camera shop i have placed order with and with the LH-x100 on its way, i decided to wait out for my order to come through after reading Chris' experience with his set.

And it came just this morning! Talk about surprises. My thoughts? It screws on fine, and the hood sit firmly into the bayonet and it looked and feel solid. Color? Close. Close enough for me to feel that it comes with the camera. That's money well saved and spent!

So when I put all of them together it looks like this.

5865975443_ccd41d28fb_z.jpg

Now what's left is the 49mm lens cap and a CPL.

WilzWorkz7

Today went for my 49mm lens cover with Circular Polarising Lens filter.

49mm...i mean, how much can that really cost me? In the end, I was dumbfounded that a simple, unknown brand for a 49mm CPL would cost me S$50. I am not convinced however so I went around...even a Hoya goes around S$80...

So with no choice...between getting a no brand and something that confirms that it will work, i go for the later. (and I done a test on the x100 using EVF just now, and yes it works fine)

413oSjZGwSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And yeah the pinch cap...10 Singapore bucks...my goodness...a piece of plastic!

Now I am ready for some landscape shoot with the x100.

xtianyves

Talk about pimping your X100! Great post Wilz. Love the shots throughout the post.

I went back and forth re: the polarizer and ended up foregoing one because I won't use it very much. I don't shoot landscapes and the few times I need it I probably can do without it.

I have a polarizer for my DSLR and I've use it maybe once or twice for 50mm lenses and longer but 35mm (which the X100's lens is equivalent to in full-frame terms) is wide enough that using a polarizer with large expanses of sky in the frame will not be polarized.

Having said all that, I do think getting one for the X100 is a good idea if you feel the need for one. At least with the X100's EVF you can turn the polarizer and see what effect it will have on your photo. On a rangefinder like the M Leicas you have to adjust the polarizer before you attach it onto the camera.

How are you liking the cell phone strap you're using as a wrist strap? Is it strong enough for the X100 to hang from your wrist should it slip out of your hands? The only reason I ask is because these straps are built for smaller, less heavier electronics which cell phones are and the X100 which is not. Is it secure enough that you'd recommend getting one over, say, a Gordy strap?

Steved

Just in the process of getting my x100. Great info for someone new to the x100 thanks for sharing. Steve

Joe Orban

Excellent write-up and good suggestions for customizing the X100.

WilzWorkz7

For wide expense of the sky, the polariser still will be an asset especially for the centre of the frame. My alaskan trip photos gets its color because of it. Yes you won't cover every part but at least some parts are tweaked to give maximum colours and 'punch'.

Stay tune for Cameron Highlands, Malaysia photography trip organised by me for a photo club.

As for the strap. I am happy to say that it is intact because it has a screw to tighten the strap to the D clip. My only concern is the longevity of the D Clip and the strap, which is PU fake leather.

Am in the process of doing some straps with a leathersmith. Will get back to you guys on this at a better time.

Talk about pimping your X100! Great post Wilz. Love the shots throughout the post.

I went back and forth re: the polarizer and ended up foregoing one because I won't use it very much. I don't shoot landscapes and the few times I need it I probably can do without it.

I have a polarizer for my DSLR and I've use it maybe once or twice for 50mm lenses and longer but 35mm (which the X100's lens is equivalent to in full-frame terms) is wide enough that using a polarizer with large expanses of sky in the frame will not be polarized.

Having said all that, I do think getting one for the X100 is a good idea if you feel the need for one. At least with the X100's EVF you can turn the polarizer and see what effect it will have on your photo. On a rangefinder like the M Leicas you have to adjust the polarizer before you attach it onto the camera.

How are you liking the cell phone strap you're using as a wrist strap? Is it strong enough for the X100 to hang from your wrist should it slip out of your hands? The only reason I ask is because these straps are built for smaller, less heavier electronics which cell phones are and the X100 which is not. Is it secure enough that you'd recommend getting one over, say, a Gordy strap?

WilzWorkz7

Just in the process of getting my x100. Great info for someone new to the x100 thanks for sharing. Steve

You are welcome. It is tough to be shopping around for a camera that is as new as a x100 with no precedents to follow. So the closest are the Leica x1 and the Ricoh and perhaps the Canon for some accessories.

It is also not easy when the stuff that people are doing for the Leica are pricing their stuff at a high premium. Am not saying that their stuff are not good but there are people out there who wants to save some money for travelling to take photos!

I hope it is useful enough for you to go out and get the necessary!

WilzWorkz7

Excellent write-up and good suggestions for customizing the X100.

You are welcome too :)..they are really not suggestions but merely reasons for my purchasing decisions and what I got in the end. Some are good purchase, some bad and all of us wants to learn, and what better way is to learn from mistakes of others. Just that I am ok to let others know I am human too. :)

I hope it is helpful.

WilzWorkz7

I went for my 49mm lens cover with Circular Polarising Lens filter.

49mm...i mean, how much can that really cost me? In the end, I was dumbfounded that a simple, unknown brand for a 49mm CPL would cost me S$50. I am not convinced however so I went around...even a Hoya goes around $60...

So no choice...between getting a no brand and something that confirms that it will work, i go for the later. (and I done a test on the x100 using EVF, and yes it works fine)

chippies

Sharp looking Fuji! I do have one question for you though-- What type of soft release is that? I checked decameraconsultant.com and they have three varieties listed that look like yours:

-Aluminium

-Chrome Brass

-Nickel

Which one do you have on your camera? Do you find it matches the camera well, or do you feel one of the other metals would match better?

WilzWorkz7

Sharp looking Fuji! I do have one question for you though-- What type of soft release is that? I checked decameraconsultant.com and they have three varieties listed that look like yours:

-Aluminium

-Chrome Brass

-Nickel

Which one do you have on your camera? Do you find it matches the camera well, or do you feel one of the other metals would match better?

Chrome Brass. Weight of Brass, look of Chrome...:) So i guess I answered that in terms of look.

The other two are light in comparison but being small, the weight is not a huge factor. I find it a tad easier if it have some weight when removing and putting in the pip.

And the thing comes from the website you mentioned so it is not a copy.

retiredbutcycling

hi. is your removable neck strap and self made one or are they available. having the option of neck/wrist is a good idea!

however, unless it was almost immediate to use, i would probably never get around to changing it.:-) thanks.

aprevite

where did you get the level? or what brand is it? all the other ones i can find look huge.

WilzWorkz7

Just take care of the inclusion of shipping costs. That's why I got the one with free shipping as that is the cheapest other than DX. Did not go dealextreme as I am not sure how they handle disputes.

WilzWorkz7

@retiredbutcycling sorry i replied late. This is the strap I use. So when I would want to hang the x100 around my neck, I would use this. I would unclip this and put on the wrist strap when there's a need to.

5993414931_cbcb707182_z.jpg

rbennl

Quote:

"

Still the lens need shades and then the shop I frequent gave me the best solution. Till now I don't know why I don't frequent them first to get the filter adaptor in the first place.

It is a hi quality UV glass from Japan with pre-applied adhesives. So the only thing that one needs to do is to clean the lens proper and stick it over the lens.

5795703552_6aa9d2db5f.jpg

"

Hi Wilz, can you please provide a brand name and /or type of the lens protector? It looks great and the big advantage is that is does not exntend the lens.

I am eager to get one ;-)

Regards.

aphonic

Looks good, but...

the lens protectors like that are known to peel off paint around the lens when removed - check the leica x1 forum about the acmaxx. Second, why pay so much for a CPL when a linear works fine?

If you are shooting with the stick on UV and then stacking a cpl on top of it.. I would be very concerned about ghosting, orbs, reflections - have you had any issues yet?

Bubble hotshoe is a great idea.

Thanks for the informative post!

WilzWorkz7

Looks good, but...

the lens protectors like that are known to peel off paint around the lens when removed - check the leica x1 forum about the acmaxx. Second, why pay so much for a CPL when a linear works fine?

If you are shooting with the stick on UV and then stacking a cpl on top of it.. I would be very concerned about ghosting, orbs, reflections - have you had any issues yet?

Bubble hotshoe is a great idea.

Thanks for the informative post!

Quickly. Leica X1 may have issues because it is Panasonic and they are using something different than the x100. Heard nothing from fujifilm as of now and if it is so, a lot of people would have complained and I would have gotten wind of it by now.

linear polariser. CPL much more easily available in Singapore than linear. I may be lazy as I was at the importers so I just get it.

As for ghosting with CPL. No issue at all while doing my photos at Cameron Highlands Malaysia. The x100 by itself has ghosting issues too so it may not be due to the filters. Some may be caused by it but I rather solve it by changing my position rather than saying too much about something that is really not much of an issue in the long run.

WilzWorkz7

Further note. Even if the paint did peel, i think my heart is not as painful as compared to those poor souls who bought the x1. :). My DSLRs have dents and got dinged so nothing unusually even if it peels. They are after all tools. Even the Canon A1 and L Rangefinders are not in great shape too so really...i rather worry that they can take picture rather than focusing on the aesthetics.