Sign in to follow this  
Paisley

Is it to late too buy a X100? Wait for a X200?

Paisley

I have for a long time thought about buying a X100. The looks, image quality and simplicity with a fixed lens really made me interested. High cost made me wait since I could not afford it at release, and since several issues went public i kept waiting. When Fujifilm released the X10 I was sold. I bought the X10 right away and were really comfortable with the purchase.

Just now I started wanting the X100. I would like even better IQ and better noise performance in low light situation. I always felt that i didn´t get a the best shot possible with the X10.

My question is: Is it to late to get the X100? Will i find a X200 being released this fall? Is it over the top to own both a X10 and X100 or do they fill two different needs? Is it to old to be worth 1000$?

Thanks in advance

cosinaphile

imho its a perfect time to get an x 100 ....you are not playing early adopter pricewise ....theres good deals out there

they are 2 very different cameras that compliment each other

the x 200 isnt announced yet when it is expect minimal 3 monthe wait or even a year

i will not confess how long it took from announced to in my hands for the x 100 , but i want it never to happen again!

RogerRabbit

Most cameras have life cycle of 2 years. X200 if it ever exist will not happen till 2013 at least. Maybe never because now X mount has been made Fuji will be making extra X mount body and lens to go with XPro1. Rumours say cheaper X mount body by end of 2012.

Paisley

Thanks for the replies. I can see how they might not come out with a x200 and instead combine the x10 and x100, or go out with a cheaper x mount body. I think a cheap x mount body might be more possible, and in that case I am not interessted. I want a x100 because of the fixed lens. I love the fact that you can own a camera and not have to think about getting a better, more expensive lens and upgrade. I now see that getting a X100 might be smart pricewise too.

What are the prices for a new X100 in for example the U.S?

MMitchell

I'm waiting for B & H to get more used X100's in so you can buy an X100 and a 2 year warranty for the price of a new camera.

X10Leica

This is so funny .. i've been thinking exactly the same the entire morning - having and enjoying tremendously the X10 with few small issues tough : flash unavailable in EXR DR, metering can be painfully slow - i wonder if this is linked to LCD refresh, and OVF, which does not display focus confirmation !

But it does not end here .. I'm hiding my wallet with the card from me, so i do not order the Fujifilm Klasse W and go back to film ..

I have for a long time thought about buying a X100. The looks, image quality and simplicity with a fixed lens really made me interested. High cost made me wait since I could not afford it at release, and since several issues went public i kept waiting. When Fujifilm released the X10 I was sold. I bought the X10 right away and were really comfortable with the purchase.

Just now I started wanting the X100. I would like even better IQ and better noise performance in low light situation. I always felt that i didn´t get a the best shot possible with the X10.

My question is: Is it to late to get the X100? Will i find a X200 being released this fall? Is it over the top to own both a X10 and X100 or do they fill two different needs? Is it to old to be worth 1000$?

Thanks in advance

gregvds

I would buy it. I did a few month ago, and am still surprised by the quality of the pictures I got from the X100. The limited black edition is really awesome now I looked at it in flesh.

I had the X-PRO in hand, it seems it's quicker for the focus, but I found the lens too light in hand (used to my brass Leica M Lenses...) and viewfinder with not so much relief, even if it was ok for me and my glasses :-), and for now I want a minimoog, so no time to think about something else than the X100, photographic wize

fiddler

I waited for firmware updates to correct issues, and for the price to come down, as I thought the price at launch to be more than I wanted to pay. As a result, I got the camera at30% less than the launch price, and a better functioning camera. I doubt it will drop much more in price in the next few months, and the X200 might never appear. The X100 is a superb camera, and at the current price, it's good value for money.

pcg

The X100 is a classic, IMHO, and will always be desirable. Shelf life of two years? Not a chance. You'll see pros shooting the X100 for years.

cosinaphile

+1 to that ....the iq is that good ..... 5 yrs from now people will be shooting it like crazy

FinePixCamera

+1 to that ....the iq is that good ..... 5 yrs from now people will be shooting it like crazy

12 megapixels will probably be laughable in 5 years. But I dont mind. I still shoot a lot with my 6 megapixel S5 Pro! People laugh heartily when I tell them it is only a 6 megapixel camera.

dimitri_b

People laugh heartily when I tell them it is only a 6 megapixel camera.

They are laughing at themselves, without realising it. Especially when it is about S5.

Tell them there are plenty of cameras for them with 1mm² sensors housing 16 megapixels.

MMitchell

Sorry guys Megapixels aren't everything sensor size is pretty much one of the most important aspects when talking about quality.

bashar

poor man always pays twice, so you waited because the X100 was expensive,got an X10 and now envying the X100, very simple, buy it now, this is not a stock, its a camera, a tool that will help you realize your artistic vision. you may wait another 6 month for a $100 price drop, but for that saving you will be loosing countless moments that money can not buy....

spanner54

Sorry guys Megapixels aren't everything sensor size is pretty much one of the most important aspects when talking about quality.

That and a good understanding of exposure, composition and lighting; and patience.

PinkFloyd

Buy it now. I know many pros are still using the old S3/S5 pro.

JOLidman

I belong, now, not those who buy the news "before it is available" and I read everything there was to read about the X10. January 2012 I bought a X10 as a replacement to a Leica LX5 that I had dropped straight down into the marble stone on an outing in Sardinia.

I was, in other words "persuaded" by a salesman that just X10 was the camera I needed!

Could say that the X10 has caused some concerns if I selected the right, but ...

Ok, now we are writing on September 18 and I'm quite fond of the little X10, so delighted that I've gone and ordered a Fujifilm Finepix X100 - Black Edition!

X10 get my partner to take over as a replacement for her Sony DSC-T100.

And now remains only job selling of Nikon equipment, D300 + 12-24 + 16-85 + 18-200 + 70-300.

Excuse Google Translate but I make it easy for me.

Jan-Olof / Sweden

robthebruce

I've had my x100 for over a year now and still really like it. I'm considering getting either the X-E1 or X-Pro 1 b/c of the need for a telephoto lens capability and super wide needs occasionally. I like the x100 for everything it does. Since the software upgrades, it focuses quite well. If you want to focus close up, you have to switch to manual using the button at the back to focus, but that's ok. I like the fill in flash particularly and its silent sound. My problem is that to finance the purchase of a X-E1 I've got to sell my x100 to my daughter who really loves using it, and I'm loathe to part with it. The best reason to purchase a x100 now is that their price has dropped, even in Australia, considerably. I paid AUS $1,200 for the x100, plus an extra $150 for the lens hood and adapter ring, which is now more expensive than what either the X-Pro 1 or X-E1 body is costing. See here. See also here for the X-Pro 1 price.

WilzWorkz7

I think X100 will be cult status. Meaning, if it does stop production, the price can only go up. Think Leicas in some ways...LOL.

shangri

I think X100 will be cult status. Meaning, if it does stop production, the price can only go up. Think Leicas in some ways...LOL.

+1

I was gonna say it's never too late to buy an X100, but who knows.., you might be better off getting one while you can...

brickst3r

I wish i was rich enough to buy one and keep it mint in the box forever. Or atleast one day pass it on to my kids.

edubyatx

It's rare, but digital cameras do jump in price occasionally, depending on the market. I bought a D700 at $2,400 and sold it a little more than a year later for $2,500. That happens when supply suddenly diminishes on a very hot item.