Sign in to follow this  
Paisley

Is it to late too buy a X100? Wait for a X200?

Sergio

yeah thats supply and demand, because at the time Nikon couldn't keep up with the huge demand for their new product, and it was their latest model at the moment. I seriously doubt that with the D600 and the D800 on the market you could be able to get more than what you paid for for the D700.

What WilzWorkz7 is saying is that the X100 will be some sort of "collector's item" when in fact its just a digital camera and all things digital can only go down in price due to technology constantly improving.

mattmaber

I think the X100 might fill a warm place in some people's hearts (mine for sure) but I dont think you can extrapolate from that them becoming highly priced and sought after.

Hopefully theyll all be well used and the state of them will show that. Mine certainly has a few dings and wear on it (though its gone back to Fuji ATM for the SAB so it may come back pristine).

Id rather see them used and abused than behind glass.

FinePixCamera

I think the X100 might fill a warm place in some people's hearts (mine for sure) but I dont think you can extrapolate from that them becoming highly priced and sought after.

Hopefully theyll all be well used and the state of them will show that. Mine certainly has a few dings and wear on it (though its gone back to Fuji ATM for the SAB so it may come back pristine).

Id rather see them used and abused than behind glass.

D@mn! You got SAB? How old was yours when it happened? If I get SAB, it's game over for my X100. No way I'm paying $800 to get that fixed.

A lot of people smoking some strong stuff thinking that the X100 is going to go up in value.

mattmaber

My X100 is about 8 months old maybe.

Fuji have been nothing but helpful. I understand you maybe not be so lucky with support where you are but Id suggest keeping on at FUji and hassling them if they dont cooperate.

edubyatx

If retail inventory dried up on the X100 tomorrow, they'd probably sell on ebay for a while at fairly high prices, but I think you guys are right that digital cameras inevitably diminish in value over time. If an X200 comes along that improves on the X100 without destroying the latter's spirit, the X100's price will tank overnight.

chris78cpr

I've just bought an X100 in black and have to say, even if they bring out an x200 tomorrow i will still be happy with my purchase. I can't see it going up in value though.

WilzWorkz7

Strong stuff? LOL!

If it is working in 20 years time and it is the first RF style camera that changes how digital photography has come about, it will be like that iMac of the 90s in the IT museum: Priceless.

We can say about the same things with regards to cars. If we think it will be scrap metal, it WILL be scrap metal. But if people understood the value behind something, then the price will reflect what the value that the buyer place on it. Guess what, just have a look at the auction houses on what beat up stuff can fetch if there's good history behind it.

Unlike the cameras of yesteryears where it is mechanical in nature, digital cameras nowadays is not as robust no thanks to electronic innards. But we can never say never when it comes to things. As much as we said last time that Full frame won't IQ won't be met, so who is to say X100 won't be a cult camera? It is the same as Art pieces. Who is to say it won't fetch high prices?

Thing is X100 is unique in the X-series because it is the only crop frame with a matched fujinon lens at the moment. And I personally don't think Fujifilm will drop X-Tran sensor for their new cameras.

Buy the X100 now for what it can do for you NOW and enjoy it to the max NOW. The future value will depends on what YOU as the user do to enjoy it NOW.

The X100 has brought me fantastic images and it brings me to opportunities and places that I would not have experienced, gave me good memories that a bigger camera would have missed because it is not as portable. If the X200 is going to come and replace the x100 and is even better, then it is kudos to Fujifilm!

And for that matter, I am not on drugs or anything. I don't find it necessary to take drugs to value things.

vincent1601

Wait for the X300...no wait for the X400...life isn't for waiting and neither is photography.

RaglePhoto

The X100 is special. Once you reign in it countless options to only do what you need it to do, it is truly great. DR200 and AutoISO with limited shutter speed are ingenious tools. The list goes on.

My person wish-list: I haven't given up hope for a family of fixed-lens-in-shutter-matched-sensor X-cameras (32mm & 60mm versions) and one more firmware update to remove/make transparent the MF mode focus scale from the image area of the viewfinder...or the ability to unlink AF-S from shutter button and assign it to the AF-L button only.

darylcheshire

I suppose there is never a best time to buy a camera, the next version is around the corner.

In my case, I waited on the X100 when I read about the poor review on firmware. But then when a firmware upgrade came out I bought it then. There have been more firmware upgrades since.

I already have an SLR and wanted something smaller to take to work so the fixed lens was not a problem. But if you don't have any camera or lenses, then get the one with the interchangeable lenses.

mrmatisse

The time to buy a camera you have fallen in love with, is now. The X100 is a wonderful camera that is a joy to use despite any quirks it may have. And, at the end of the day, it's about the pictures. Go forth into the light my brothers and sisters, and harvest beauty.

scouser

Time is money, life is short.

Basically the equation is simple.

Estimate the time difference between now and the point you will buy the next super-improved, "toys for the boys", camera.

Take that time and decide which is more valuable:

a) Exploring the world, exploring your dreams, becoming more skilful in a profession, bringing some joy to people in the photos your create, becoming more experienced such that you next camera choice will be wiser. I think it is called living life.

B) Waiting around dreaming about the next camera that will have a few more toys. And of course when that camera does come out, then the next dream will have been sold by the camera companies, so do you wait for that one?

scouser

And on a purely personal note.

I am an IT/Tech guy. I have always rode the wave 6-12 months behind new market appearances. I do not think I have ever missed much. It does take some discipline. However, I think value for money wise, and having the information to make the right choices, it is the best strategy.

But the siren call of new tech is a difficult one to silence.

"No I will not buy the X-E1 yet. No I will not buy the X-E1 yet. No I will not buy the X-E1 yet. No I will not buy the X-E1 yet. No I will not buy the X-E1 yet. No I will not buy the X-E1 yet. No I will not buy the X-E1 yet. No I will not buy the X-E1 yet. No I will not buy the X-E1 yet. No I will not buy the X-E1 yet... "

veejaycee

Oh go on - buy it, you know you want to! :)

Life is too short to waste photography time.

Vic

pominpocket

Try this one

I have the x10 and really love it. But read review after review on x100 and have chance at $780 for black. But then I will miss the little zoom on the x10 for street . But I want iq of the x100 and small size. I know I will get the XE1, it has a great sensor is small and can change lenses. But if I have lenses to change I will drain my money and would never have the right lens on the camera at the right time . Also too much bulk. Why not the x100?

Why not the xpro 1 it looks like a leica.

But I have my Nikon d7000 50mm I.4 . Where does this fit in?

I will not buy the XE1 yet at high price when I know Fuju are about to release a full frame x camera .