Sign in to follow this  
WilzWorkz7

ULYSSES & Gariz Case

collierportraits

Y'know, for $30, I'm going to go with the HB case. If it doesn't work like I'd like it to, then I'm not out much and we'll go back to the drawing board. Thanks for all the info, guys.

planetary

Thanks to the thoughtful comments here. For my own part, I've chosen the Gariz case.

collierportraits

Placed my order for the Horusbennu case. I did like the grip bit that protrudes and very inexpensive as well. Ordered it on Jan 4th, 2012. I'll post when I receive it. I'm expecting it will take upwards of 3 weeks.

mattmaber

Ok final one, this is with an X10 which isn't mine =D

255c8ea2391811e1abb01231381b65e3_7.jpg

WilzWorkz7

Awww, what's another 100 bucks?

I treasure my money a bit so that I can save up and bring family to holiday. It may not mean much to some people but it does to me. At least that hundred bucks means a better dinner for family time.

collierportraits

Matt, good looking camera. I have basically the same setup except with a smaller release (in red, I have Match Technical's Bip) and with the original Thumbs Up (which I love). I have the same Gordy strap except I have the string connector instead of the ring...

mattmaber

@collierportraits i had a red fancy metal one on my last X100 that I lost

pcg

Agreed. I have a mini Silver Abrahamsson. Buy from the creator of these, and not some knockoff. :-)

collierportraits

Ok, I received my Horusbennu case today, 12 days after ordering it from Korea, it arrived on the East Coast of the US. Not too bad. Overall, it's a nice piece. It's pretty much exactly as I suspected. Not the greatest craftsmanship but very nice considering the price. As leather half-cases go, it's dirt cheap ($30 USD shipping included) and so your expectations are diminished a little.

The cut out at the bottom of the case allows access to the battery and card, although when the door swings out, it brushes the side of the case slightly. Again, not impeccable craftsmanship. The leather seems to be of a decent quality, and the stitching seems to be fine. The "grip" feels like a simple foam piece under the leather, so it's not really a grip. Overall, I think it does make the camera a little easier to hold, as I do have pretty large hands. It adds a little bulk but not so much as to affect how it goes in a bag. The tripod screw has an attachment where I can attach my BlackRapid so that's a big added bonus if you use that strap. I'm very pleased with the purchase. I also use the camera in MF mode and the back button to focus with so I liked the fact that it has virtually no leather on the back of the camera. I now think I'm finished with accessories. Wait, that WotanCraft City Explorer leather case looks pretty cool...

persiyan

@mattmaber what is the neck strap that is in the front straight shots of the X100 there? Thanks.

mattmaber

... I liked the fact that it has virtually no leather on the back of the camera.

Me too, I don't like the cases with cutout holes on the back, I think they'd just annoy me.

@persiyan Its Cam-in - I got it off ebay. I don't usually use the neck strap and have now jerry rigged clips from small torches.

50c7241a41bc11e19e4a12313813ffc0_7.jpg

collierportraits

See, that just worries me. I don't want to scratch 'my precious' up with those rings. That's why I chose the Gordy with the string instead of the ring. Works great and there's no metal at all. Does seem very tiny until you start to use it. It's incredibly strong.

mattmaber

@collierportraits my previous X100 (the one I lost) had been pretty scratched up by me and various attachments. I liked it tbh.

collierportraits

@Matt I understand. I subscribe to the theory that "I'd rather wear it out than let it rust out" But I don't want to harm it because of lack of care, y'know? The beater look is fine, but just because it's been used, not abused.

WilzWorkz7

@collierportraits my previous X100 (the one I lost) had been pretty scratched up by me and various attachments. I liked it tbh.

+1. That means it is well used and that in itself has character. Unless one is pimping it for sale when the XPro1 is out.

mattmaber

@WilzWorkz7 yes, I had some nice dings in it. The new one felt a bit weird tbh, even though it was of course functionally the same.

Im fact my current one has a cracked GGS screen protector and whilst I have a replacement Im resisting installing it.

Ive never been one to overly coddle my tech, my iPhone is pretty beat up and has no screen protector, as is my iPad. Its there to be used after all and most of it is replaced in a year or 2 anyway.

WilzWorkz7

revisited this thread and then I took out my family heirloom, dad's Canon L1 Rangefinder and with its scratches, dings and what have you due to heavy usage. It does have character. It is welcoming the person to use it.

Putting the x100 next to it, it felt that they are brothers in arms, fighting the photography war with me.

Am proud to call them my cameras! LOL.

gatotlie

hi, i have ordered my Ulysses case chocolate with slingshot 2 strap

the people at the customer service is very friendly on email and they are also very fast in replying my questions.

it would take around 5 days to for the shipment to arrive in Jakarta,

i am waiting eagerly, and after i have receive the case, will let you know my review :)

md_eric

Who cares if its 100 USD or 10000 USD. Every person has a right to do his own thing and personalize his stuff. To one man is sheer joy to other its impractical. is the topic about economics? Its about how we make our X10/X100 look good errr wrong thread for some guys out there