Sign in to follow this  
jvdmeij

Warming up to my 100 strangers project

jvdmeij

First post on this forum. Received my cam two weeks ago and love it!

Always wanted to do a 100 strangers project. Approach a stranger who appeals to you and ask him if you can shoot a portrait of him/her. Today I approached my first stranger to shoot a small warming up series on a local second hand book market.

1 Peter

A man and his book: Peter

2 Bert

A man and his book: Bert

3 Joshua

A man and his book: Joshua

Looking forward to your feedback.

seaton carew

Great project looking good so far.

Did you shoot B/W or convert from colour.

Christopher

Welcome to the community @jvdmeij! I always love these 100 strangers projects, they're quite fun. I'd like to try something like this myself, but I have to work up my confidence to ask strangers for their portrait. Having the X100 will probably make it an easier sell, people are less intimidated by what looks to be an old film camera.

Do you plan to shoot them all in B&W?

I've always thought it would be fun to do this with a portable printer in my bag, so I could print off their portrait for them to keep. Polaroid makes a super compact printer that uses 'zero-ink' technology, but I've heard the battery life is lousy. I think Fujifilm makes a compact printer as well that uses instant film type technology, but they're difficult to find in the US.

michael

Have calling cards with your website address and hand them out to folk who you photograph.

mattmaber

I like this idea, would love to gain some street confidence and give it a go.

earlyadopter

@mattmaber: try to take pictures without asking permission. :) Much easier. Look.

jvdmeij

@seaton: Thanks. As for all photos in BW, I am not sure. I do like BW though!

@Christopher: I had the same problem. Yesterday I stepped over that and approached the first. Quite scary of course, but out of the 3 request they all said yes. And if you get a no, then that's that :)

The portable printer idea is a good one! I am thinking about handing out small business cards (moo cards) where people can see the whole set. Same as what @michael suggests.

@mattmaber: Just do it! I had this idea for 4 years and finally had the nerve!

Christopher

Great shots @earlyadopter! I presume you're shooting these as you walk by? I noticed you weren't entirely happy with your X100, did you find it a hinderance vs your Ricoh?

@jvdmeij, I suspect strangers are much more open to having their picture taken than I imagine them to be! The Fujifilm Pivi is the printer that seems to be ideal, it uses Instax film for its prints.

earlyadopter

@Christopher: yes, I shoot on the street from the hip level most of the times, and found X100 to be too slow, and focusing too far from the object in front of me.

michael

I think you have to very careful when shooting from the hip, there is a fine line between street photography and getting "upskirt photos". Photographing women sitting on steps hints of voyeurism. Interesting link here on sexual offences. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/42/section/67. I know this is a s world wide discussion board, so the link relates only to the UK.

@jvdmeij I thought these photographs were great, you have obviously asked for permission and have been able to capture something about the people, yet only showing half there face.

earlyadopter

@michael: the link your provided is dead. Here http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/42 I see a long list of offences according to UK laws. Section 67 talks about "person doing a private act" and section 68 — about "a place which, in the circumstances, would reasonably be expected to provide privacy". According to the U.S. laws (and most of my pictures are taken in San Francisco) on a public street person could not reasonably expect privacy (and considering the number of surveillance cameras on the UK streets I suppose — there even more), and everything I see without trespassing could be legally photographed. People I take pictures of are seen as in these pictures by literally hundreds if not thousands of other passers-by.

Also, even in the UK it's an offence when done "for the purpose of obtaining sexual gratification", and it mentions "structures". I take pictures without hiding from anyone, and only gratification I see comes from understanding that pictures taken today will be really interesting to watch at quarter of century from now. :) I know that hearing response to my images from mid-1980s.

jvdmeij

@michael Thanks! Much appreciated. I did indeed ask for permission. This was the first time I ever did that. Wanted to do it for so long, but never had the balls. Next up is a full-on portrait without books :)

michael

I was hoping that this would build on a discussion about what the fine line between street photography and voyerism was. I read it as well that there is no specific offence for taking voyeuristic upskirt photographs (british tabloid newspapers and celebrity magazines would be out of business if there was) but surely a person would expect that it is a private matter what under garments they choose to wear, hence my comment on upskirt photographs. Different countries have different views on this in the eyes of law, even proposing that mobile phone cameras make a noise or flash when taking pictures.

The UK is notorious about the over use of CCTV and in my opioion it is not the great deterent of crime that we are all lead to believe. Harsher sentences in the courts would help. Its estimated that you are recorded 300 times a day by CCTV cameras in London.

Sexual offences Act 2003 Section 67 (4) UK

A person commits an offence if he instals equipment, or constructs or adapts a structure or part of a structure, with the intention of enabling himself or another person to commit an offence under subsection (1).. the sexual gratification bit . E.g a neighbour installing a covert cctv camera in a bedroom, a shop installing a cctv camera hidden behind a changing room mirror or hiding a camera in a bag for the purpose of taking photographs.

My point is that shooting from the hip could be construed as voyeurism as the subject would have no knowledge of themselves being photographed and for what purpose, as opposed to a photographer working at eye level where his actions are obvious. Ask yourself would you be happy if someone was to take your photograph with out your knowledge.

mattmaber

I dont personally consider from the hip as voyerism, cameras, especially as phones ar so ubiquitous now I doubt anyone notices

michael

Maybe voyeurism is the wrong word to use here but i do find shooting from the hip more in keeping with just taking a grab shot. Camera phones have appeared every where and with digital cameras getting cheaper, it has opened photography to a wider audience.

iarrfirinne

I'm liking this 100 strangers idea as well. I might just give it a go ... once I get to a more populated area :)

drmark05

To some extent it comes down to personal opinion, but I've only seen very few shots from the hip that have been appealing. My favourite street shots have been one where there is an interplay between the subject and their location, or a very particular spatial arrangement of elements in the frame. That's difficult, if not impossible to do when trying to hide the fact that you're taking a photograph.

I personally like jvdmeij's images because the reveal something about the character of the people being photographed, but also because they show some thought in terms of composition and framing.

Call_me_JC

To me shooting from the hip at anything that moves is not the true art of street photography. None of the pictures taken by earlyadopter are appealing to me. In the other hand what jvdmeij has produced is quality. I agree with drmark05 on his comment. I definitely don't think that upskirt photos is art! I will spare you what I think in the spirit of keeping this civil.

jvdmeij

@iarrfirinne: Do that! We can start a 100 strangers photo topic where everyone can post their latest shots!