FUJIFILM Wide Conversion Lens WCL-X100

9dap

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always figured Fujifilm would revise the lens adaptor ring situation on the X100's successor. It's nice that the X100's lens can be more compact, but it's kind of a quirky setup.

I am excited to see Fujifilm produce an optically corrected conversion lens. We had been dreaming about such things when the X100 first came out last year! A 2x conversion would also be a nice option, and would really push the X100 towards a 'budget' X-Pro1 style system.

I am quite curious to see whether the lens correction will be applied to RAW files, or JPG's only. Hopefully Adobe will add a lens correction profile to Lightroom too.

@flysurfer, have you handled one yet? What did you think of the IQ?

Nope, while I did receive a bunch of background information, I couldn't test one, yet. But I'll definitely try to get my hands on one to do a little shootout with the f2/18 X-Mount lens.

According to my information, Silkypix will add lens correction for the WCL.

I also wouldn't expect any more converters any time soon. I guess it would be awkward to turn the X100 into kind of a "cheap" X-Mount system camera alternative.

Looks awesome!!

"Designed specifically for X100 (*1) to achieve premium image quality comparable to that of the original lens even when wide open at f/2.0.

Does not affect the minimum working distance in macro photography."

The sample images are all at F5.6 and above, I hope it will be usable on F2 also.

And the X0.5ish adapter would be better choise for me too.

Still, I will consider this one when it comes out, and if it will be realy usable at F2. I kind of like the idea wery much.

Otherwise, sweet move from Fuji. And one more reason to stick to the X100(not getting the X-Pro1 with 18mm lens).

And one more reason to stick to the X100(not getting the X-Pro1 with 18mm lens).

If that's the result of introducing this product, I guess Fuji weren't as smart as they thought they were...

Not wide enough for me to be interested. :-/ I would have preferred somewhere around ~20-24 equiv to be happy. 28mm seems to close to 35mm to be worth it, with the added bulk. I'd love to see a 50mm equiv converter though.

Couldn't agree more. Give me 20-24 for "wide" and 135 for portraits.

I like the addition of this conversion lens b/c of the increased ability it will give for landscapes/nature outdoors shots and in crowds. I'd also use it for building shots one of my other favourite things to photograph. Also, it will be interesting to see it used on a 120 panorama with the format set to portrait sweep. That would be awesome. I think of beach scenes of the surf and sand as well as great moiuntains and rainforest applications used this way. Perhaps Fuji will eventually offer a 50 or 70 mm equivelent as well which would make me really really happy as I still just love the simplicity yet complexity of this little camera. Perhaps Fuji can make the lens cap available as a separate item for those like me who have a 49mm UV filter on the lens. My existing $5 pincher cap is horrible.

Not wide enough for me to be interested. :-/ I would have preferred somewhere around ~20-24 equiv to be happy. 28mm seems to close to 35mm to be worth it, with the added bulk. I'd love to see a 50mm equiv converter though.

Couldn't agree more. Give me 20-24 for "wide" and 135 for portraits.

Agree here too. 0.8x not enough of a change and not wide enough for landscapes IMHO.

me too, i wonder why they did not choose something MUCH wider than 23mm. Too hard to implement as a "conversion"?

I would not be able to keep using the leather carrying case either.

I would not be able to keep using the leather carrying case either.

You could still use it as a half case when using the wide converter.

I wonder if a lens pouch is included with the lens? Would make it easier to carry it with me and snap it on when needed.

I like the addition of this conversion lens b/c of the increased ability it will give for landscapes/nature outdoors shots and in crowds. I'd also use it for building shots one of my other favourite things to photograph. Also, it will be interesting to see it used on a 120 panorama with the format set to portrait sweep. That would be awesome. I think of beach scenes of the surf and sand as well as great moiuntains and rainforest applications used this way. Perhaps Fuji will eventually offer a 50 or 70 mm equivelent as well which would make me really really happy as I still just love the simplicity yet complexity of this little camera. Perhaps Fuji can make the lens cap available as a separate item for those like me who have a 49mm UV filter on the lens. My existing $5 pincher cap is horrible.

I agree, the lens cap as a separate would be a nice little keeper to replace the 'ebay pinchers' that ping off everywhere.

It should be easy enough to order one as a replacement part from Fujifilm, once they're shipping. It's the same design as the X-Pro1 lens caps, they're pretty nice!

I personally find it a bit worrying that the sample images are for F/4 and above.

You shouldnt worry.

"The WCL-X100 has been engineered to ensure the FUJIFILM X100's supreme optical quality remains intact. Created by the same experts who designed the X100's lens, the WCL-X100 delivers comparable image quality even at the f/2 wide aperture setting, retaining all the original optical characteristics, including the attractive bokeh effect."

So cool! It's on my list to get when it comes out. Glad to see the IQ will be similar.

Took a friends Senior Portraits with both my alpha a550 and fuji x100. The IQ of the x100 is crazy.

@gafer, Fujifilm's conversion lens is designed specifically for the X100's lens, and no other. The lens distortion, vignetting, and chromatic aberrations generally experienced with conversion lenses are highly reduced, and can be corrected digitally by enabling the conversion lens feature in the v1.30 firmware. Even better, your EXIF data will report the new focal length, and the OVF framelines will be adjusted.

Using another conversion lens is still a viable option, and less expensive, it just might not be as convenient of a user experience, or as optically nice.

Christopher, yep, I see that now. I did some checking on conversion lenses since I have no experience with them and I have one word. Yuck! Seems most of them are of very poor quality. May think about the Fuji WC Lens. I like doing landscapes and while there isn't a HUGE difference between 35mm and 28mm it IS a difference worth getting.

Lemons, here you go...

Your text to link...

Thanks, but I already did that and it's not very clear what he means by this:

"Feeling of use is ensure that pictures come out sharp and reminiscent about Ji converter lens? What this really frankly. Do not have to be flat or contrast, or color will make you sleepy. Use of a single lens is a sense of exactly equivalent."

Is it good or bad? :)

Archived