FUJIFILM Wide Conversion Lens WCL-X100

9dap

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice Roel. Thanks for sharing. Changed my mind..I'm getting one!

Like I mentioned in my review, if I didn't already have the 18mm f/2 for my X-Pro1, I would definitely get the WCL-X100. It is $US 350.00 vs. $US 600.00 for the 18mm f/2. IMHO, the WCL-X100 is sharper in the corners.

It seems that both Adorama and B&H (US) have blown their promised shipping dates, June 8th and June 19th, respectively. Has anyone in the US received either delivery of a WCL, or a solid promise of shipping date?

have blown their promised shipping dates

, June 8th and June 19th, respectively. Has anyone in the US received either delivery of a WCL, or a solid promise of shipping date?

I suspect that's Fuji's issue and not the previously mentioned reputable retailers.

In that case the previously mentioned reputable retailer's customer service people should be more forthcoming when asked by their customers.

oh, and gafer, changing my statement by adding bold type and not saying that it's your emphasis, that's kinda bush.

Does anyone know when the lens might be available in the UK?

I have just ordered one from digital depot.co.uk in Stevenage. They have them in stock in silver, price £249. Delivery due Tues/Wed next week. Will update on receipt.

I have just ordered one from digital depot.co.uk in Stevenage. They have them in stock in silver, price £249. Delivery due Tues/Wed next week. Will update on receipt.

Did you tick the box where for 5 extra pounds, Lewis Hamilton will personally deliver your lens?

In that case the previously mentioned reputable retailer's customer service people should be more forthcoming when asked by their customers.

oh, and gafer, changing my statement by adding bold type and not saying that it's your emphasis, that's kinda bush.

Bold emphasis above is mine. Didn't mean to offend. Just trying to delineate the specific point I was trying to address.

I don't personally hold it against the retailer's customer service - they rely on information provided by the manufacturer to indicate product delivery dates. So, they're either lying to their customers, which I doubt, or they don't know either which if that's the case, I agree, they should be more forthcoming. In the end none of us are in a position to be able to place blame on why the lenses aren't available by the originally indicated delivery date. So, you can't really pin the "blown shipping dates" (I'm paraphrasing) on Adorama, B&H or even Fuji for that matter.

When vendors make promises and don't come through, they've blown it.

In both cases, promises of shipping on the specified date were made by CS reps orally and directly to me on the phone. They were aware, in each case, that I was willing to take my business to that vendor who could get me the item first.

Look, these guys are retailers and are in competition to make a profit

As a photographic educator for going on 30 years, I've spent many tens of thousands of dollars at B&H, Adorama, Freestyle, Porter's and a dozen other smaller and more specialized vendors, going back to when I was a grad student stuck with the grunt work of handling the purchases for the whole program. I have also spent a lot of time dealing with CS reps.

B&H and Adorama are hardly paragons of faultlessness, and as recently as March I spent a couple of hours on the phone/emailing to one of them to straighten out something that was very like a bait & switch in a package deal, and which I then was double billed for on the (much more expensive) replacement.

FWIW, I give as much business as I can to Freestyle, and only go elsewhere to get stuff that's not in their inventory.

Did you tick the box where for 5 extra pounds, Lewis Hamilton will personally deliver your lens?

No, I thought I'd let Postman Pat deliver it free ;-)

Well it arrived today, Tuesday as promised. Not had chance to go out and about yet, but looks excellent quality and fits camera very nicely.

It comes in a smart box to match the camera packaging, a clip on lens cover and a cloth carry bag.

Updated the firmware the other day to 1.30 and set the Fn button for the WCL to speed-up change-over.

So,yes it is available in the UK at www.digitaldepot.co.uk who appear to be a high street shop in Stevenage. They have a Good Service award from 'What Digital Camera' and 'Amateur Photographer'and based on this transaction I can't fault them. Price was £249.

Well it arrived today, Tuesday as promised. Not had chance to go out and about yet, but looks excellent quality and fits camera very nicely.

It comes in a smart box to match the camera packaging, a clip on lens cover and a cloth carry bag.

Updated the firmware the other day to 1.30 and set the Fn button for the WCL to speed-up change-over.

So,yes it is available in the UK at www.digitaldepot.co.uk who appear to be a high street shop in Stevenage. They have a Good Service award from 'What Digital Camera' and 'Amateur Photographer'and based on this transaction I can't fault them. Price was £249.

Odd that you would use the Fn button for something that is not part of immediate shooting. Putting on or taking off the converter is already a slow process and clicking through the menu a few times is not going to add much to that. Especially since the menu entry for the converter is dead last, meaning that going backwards makes it a 1 click hit to select it.

Now you have one less Fn key to help with changes made during shooting.

Odd that you would use the Fn button for something that is not part of immediate shooting. Putting on or taking off the converter is already a slow process and clicking through the menu a few times is not going to add much to that. Especially since the menu entry for the converter is dead last, meaning that going backwards makes it a 1 click hit to select it.

Now you have one less Fn key to help with changes made during shooting.

You're right of course! In my haste to check it out, I didn't give much thought to that aspect.

Just arrived. Yow, but it does chew up a large chunk of real estate in the OVF. A little more than what I remember the CV Ultron 28/1.9 taking up in a 0.72 VF. I dealt with that OK back then but it'll take some getting used to again, and in a pinch there's the EVF.

Just arrived. Yow, but it does chew up a large chunk of real estate in the OVF. A little more than what I remember the CV Ultron 28/1.9 taking up in a 0.72 VF. I dealt with that OK back then but it'll take some getting used to again, and in a pinch there's the EVF.

In a pinch? I almost never use the OVF.

I can't afford any lag shooting street - the scene has to be there & stabile the instant my eye is at the finder. That's also why I turn off the LCD/eye sensor.

The OVF is VERY inaccurate with the WCL-X100 attached to the camera. I was surprised at how poorly the OVF is and had to switch to full time EVF work since framing was so poor.

Archived