Sign in to follow this  
9dap

FUJIFILM Wide Conversion Lens WCL-X100

arukakat

Hi, Lemons

Yes, he likes the conversion lens, very very much.

He said, "In my impression, this conversion lens provide so sharp photographs that you cannot believe it's a "conversion lens". It neither flattens contrast nor makes color sleepy. It's just like an SLR camera lens."

It's a loose translation, but I hope that you understand by and large what he means.

saibt

yes the new lens is really good! tried at the digital world show in melbourne in the weekend... loved it...... it on sale next month, cant wait it $350 australia dollar.

Guest [Deleted User]

Wow, that's great but hard to believe when looking at this photo, especially as Fuji warns of flash shadow and advises the use of a separate flash unit.

Wide_con_X100.jpg

Guest [Deleted User]

Adorama says they expect to fill orders for it by June 8th, contingent on any change of plan by Fuji.

gafer

Back or silver? That is the question. I actually think the black lens might look better on the x100. Thoughts?

TADrinkwater

I would need to see a picture of the Black one on a Silver X100 i think.

gafer

Maybe someone more adept at Photoshop could "shop" the photo in 6ft's post?

Guest [Deleted User]

I may be in the wrong place; how does one un-subscribe?

gafer

How did you like it @WilzWorkz7? The corners look pretty soft.

Better question, "What's that on the counter next to the camera?"

mattmaber

If you look at the full size i think it say "MACRO" on it

X100 Without Wide Conversion Lens

FinePixCamera

Wow...that image with the conversion lens on it looks absolutely awful. I was going to buy this lens sight unseen but now, forget that. I almost fell for Fuji's marketing spiel again.

"The WCL-X100 has been engineered to ensure the FUJIFILM X100's supreme optical quality remains intact. Created by the same experts who designed the X100's lens, the WCL-X100 delivers comparable image quality even at the f/2 wide aperture setting, retaining all the original optical characteristics, including the attractive bokeh effect."

Guest [Deleted User]

yup, pretty ghastly - nothing like the samples posted in the press release. Let's hope it's due to crappy light and low DOF shooting wide open.

These look a lot better, but still hard to tell (and since I don't read Japanese, these could be examples of something else entirely)

Wilz, did you remember to turn on the software for the converter in the menu?

persiyan

Maybe someone more adept at Photoshop could "shop" the photo in 6ft's post?

Nah, the silver one is definatelly better. Here's a quick cut and paste.

3Yguy.jpg

gafer

I dunno about the silver looking so much better. This really reminds me of my old Canon Ftb.

Guest [Deleted User]

Adorama didn't come through with the June 8th ship-by date promised, and are now saying June 25th. B&H says June 19th (US stores)

WilzWorkz7

I shall attempt to answer questions and give views on the reaction.

"What's that on the counter next to the camera?"

Ans: That's the coversion lens. It is able to do MACRO as well hence the wording on the lens barrel.

"Wilz, did you remember to turn on the software for the converter in the menu?"

Ans: Yes I did. On it when the conversion lens is on. I am not sure switching it on would mean there will be lens correction. Should have tried the lens without switching on the option.

"How did you like it @WilzWorkz7? The corners look pretty soft."

Ans: Put this as last question so I can pen a longer reply.

It is a nice accessory to have for those moments when you do not have 4-6 steps back to capture the whole scene. That would mean small, cramped places such as those in the Japanese website. BTW, one can go to babelfish.yahoo.com to translate the whole page from Japanese to English.

It is stated to be worth S$399 RRP but the lens comes with the X100 purchase. To this end getting the X100 is worth it as the street price is around S$1400 so one only add $199 for the wide conversion lens which is a good deal IMHO.

Should those already have the x100 get it? That would depend on use and one's subjectivity of image quality. If we complained about the softness of superzoom camera, then the wide conversion lens is nothing different. it is like the end of 18mm of a 18-270mm superzoom lens. It is acceptable but it is soft at F2.2 at the corners but still sharp at the place where I put my focusing point on. That softness can also be attributed to the shallow depth of field using F2.2 and further test in the open with tripod and small aperture will definitely yield different results.

I use P mode because that's the setting majority of us will use for point and shoots anyways. (I have put up the EXIF data for all to see. I did not do it then because I was hurriedly packing for my photo trip to Bangkok.) Hence if one really need to get things into the frame while still wanting to have the best image quality, then it would be impossible as those who uses teleconvertors, macro add on lens will also experience drop in IQ. The WCL won't be any different. It is light physics. More glass in front means more bending, means drop in IQ.

That said, if there is time for one to really put the camera on a tripod, use smaller aperture, use lower ISO, then it is possible that the effect would be similar to the one in the Japanese website. How much of the softness can be rectified is still a good question mark.

We always must remember that marketing spiel or spin is to attract you to go buy it. If it doesn't say the best, then it is not doing its job. Remember Facetime on iPhone? Apple say it is revolutionary when in fact it is already part of the 3G marketing feature which was 3-4 years before iPhone's birth. How about Nikon's 36MP resolution when in fact a lot of people won't print larger than 8x12 and one can't see the result of the higher resolution? In some ways, I am glad that the X100 camera itself lives up to its expectation of its marketing team and I only bought it after seeing through numerous pre production shots from the camera.

How about the WCL? Sometimes I would use marketing promotion as a gauge to the items' popularity. Case in point. In Singapore, anyone who bought a Nikon 1 system will get to travel free to some beach resorts in Thailand/Indonesia etc. To that end I also observe that Canon 5DM3 has much lesser advertisements than Nikon D800 as well. And for Fujifilm's case, the WCL is given free for x100 purchase.

If it is selling like hot cakes, why the need for heavy promotion?

To buy or not to buy? That is really a good question and it is very hard to judge its usefulness without bringing the camera for a spin (pun intended). I would say I personally would see very little use unless I am shooting landscape and the panorama mode's quality is not what I am looking for. I appreciate for the fact that my subject size is good (nearer) without compromising the lack of the environmental shot. If soft focus is you like for street photography then the WCL would be a fantastic tool to have.

Now if Fujifilm can give us X100 owners some cheer by giving the early supporters a cheaper promotional price for the WCL.

WilzWorkz7

Oh yes what I did not mention was the lighting condition of the exhibition hall. It was bright enough for consumers to shop around but definitely a condition a camera will find hard to take good quality pictures with.

Guest [Deleted User]

Fuji just lent me a production WCL for review purposes. I'll have my impressions of it posted in a few days.

Christopher

Curious to hear your thoughts @Roel!