Sign in to follow this  
tobes

'Stealth' travel bag for X Pro-1?

tobes

Folks,

My X Pro-1 outfit lives very happily in a Billingham Hadley bag, which is fantastic for day-to-day use, but I'm travelling around Malaysia this coming summer and I'm on the lookout for something a bit more 'stealthy'. I used to live in that part of the world, and I know that there's no particular reason to worry about theft, but I'd feel more comfortable with an anonymous bag.

Needs to be larger than the Hadley, able to hold kids' stuff as well as camera kit, water bottle (on the outside, not in with the kit), ideally in a canvas or similar material. The Thinktank retrospectives look great, but are very expensive for this purpose; National Geographics a bit more affordable, but somewhat obviously camera bags.

There are some cheap ones out there on eBay UK, and I'm also considering the idea of a very lightweight bag tucked inside a regular holdall. Has anyone got any recommendations please?

Cheers

Tobes

Greyelm

I don't know if you would class this as stealthy but I use this as my general purpose camera bag. It is the Jack Pyke Countryman and is available on Amazon UK for £26.99. It doesn't have padded inserts so you can organise the space as required. It has a zipped inner pocket, two front pockets, a zipped main compartment, a rear pocket and a flap over top. The 'canvas' is soft and is comfortable to carry. There is a 'D' ring on each side so you can attach a water bottle with something like a carabiner.

Amazon UK

31W6h3Ff1KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

spanner54

I use a Think Tank Urban Disguise 35 because it does look anonymous and with a bit of careful packing I can use it as a weekend bag as well.

Haswell

Most of the Think tank range don't look like camera bags. I have the SLING-O-MATIC and it just looks like an unobtrusive back pack/ side bag.

ragecat

I have a billingham as well but totally thinking of getting a think tank for the same reasons as you

streetsweeper

The slingomatic 10 (small) is my main gear bag. It holds a ton of stuff and is somewhat discrete IMO. Can access gear without taking it off (safe), and top quality, albeit expensive. I wouldn't recommend either of the larger (20,30) as they have only one access point and it would be too heavy for a sling if you load it up. Mine can be stuffed with two DSLR bodies, 3 lenses (1 zoom, 2 prime), flash, and accessories.

The perfect bag currently topping my wish list is a leather messenger from aunts and uncles. Very discrete and top quality craftsmanship. *drool*... Hunter Line

mattmaber

I have a Billingham Hadley Small and a ThinkTank Retrospective 10 - the Billingham looks like its better designed to withstand rain - with the edges of the flap overlapping over the sides where as the Retrospective doesn't, it has things under the flap but rain could conceivably get in there.

THat was part of my choice in getting the Billingham for my 'street' set up and may be worth noting.

ragecat

I have a Billingham Hadley Small and a ThinkTank Retrospective 10 - the Billingham looks like its better designed to withstand rain - with the edges of the flap overlapping over the sides where as the Retrospective doesn't, it has things under the flap but rain could conceivably get in there.

THat was part of my choice in getting the Billingham for my 'street' set up and may be worth noting.

Yeah the Hadley eats rain! The raindrops literally bead off of the surface of the canvas. And it is the greatest camera bag I have ever owned, but what sucks sometimes is since the quality is so nice and the price is so premium... I can't just toss it around. So afraid of getting it dirty or getting stains on it. Only reason I would get a Think Tanks is so it could be my beater bag haha (no respect to the think tank owners)

Guest [Deleted User]

I actually use two different bags for my X-Pro1... if I am using the camera locally and just want the X-Pro1 body, 3 lenses, plus accessories (extra battery, cards, etc) with me, I will use the Think Thank Retrospective 5 - it is perfect for this (and also has a rain cover too):

http://roel.me/thinktank-retrospective-5/

When I am traveling (like my recent trip to China) and need to take the all of the above plus chargers, an extra camera body (like the X100 or another X-Pro1), laptop computer (up to 13 inches) and have a little extra room to spare, I use the Think Tank Urban Disguise 35:

http://roel.me/think-tank-urban-disguise-35/

Neither bag really looks like a camera bag and they have worked out really well for me.

I know Think Tank is coming out soon with their Retrospective 7 which is similar to the 10 in size, but allows you to place an iPad or 11 inch Macbook Air in the rear pocket. I will check out that bag once it is available.

ankro

I have a Crumpler Company Gigolo 3500 Bag and it is very small. In the Bag i have the X-Pro 1 with the 60mm, the 35mm, Fuji EF-20, a scratchpad, a 2nd Battery for x-pro1 and two SDHC Cards. It is very tight, but it works, and the Crumpler is absolutly inconspicuous, because my wife have a bigger crumpler Handbag for many, many years ;)

ianjackson

Don't worry about abusing the Hadley it can take it! I've had an original Hadley for 15 years. Used it everyday as a pro for 10. Strap isn't frayed or anything. Had to buy a new liner as foam on the original broke down to dust... The liner is removable with popper so I transfer everything to a fat face bag. Hadley is quite unobtrusive and lots of people buy these who aren't snappers. I do like the look of the Think Tank retros though.

brent

i love this bag, anyone have experience with the retrospective series?

mrflash

You might look at a Domke f-803 which is almost identical in size to a Hadley Pro or a F-802 which is a little bigger. These would be ideal if you like the profile of a Hadley but want to be more discreet.

Iowill

Two suggestions slightly different approach.

Minimalist: ThinkTank makes a bag/module called the Hubba Hubba Hiney. It comes with a shoulder sling strap, as well as a very secure velcro flap on back to secure to any belt, or secure in place or to be slid about on one of ThinkTank's gear module belts. Is the size of a small fanny pack, w/o the belt straps and buckle. Plenty of room for my My Fuji XPro-1 with either the 60 or the 35 attached and the other stored aside + the smaller flash and a third lens (I sometimes carry a summicron 50 with an m mount adaptor). Space for flash cards, extra battery, pen, lens cloths, a filter stack, etc. And it has a rain cover that tucks into a small zipper pouch in front. The usual velcro dividers inside, a zippered pouch for pens, keys, notecards etc. on front, with additional stretchy pouches on front to quick stash a lens cap, etc. The nice thing is this whole kit then can also fit into a back pack to protect your gear when you really want it under wraps. I'm loving mine.

Lowe Pro also makes some smaller fanny packs that have quick-double-zip one pull wide opening top for quick removal. These don't scream "camera", either.

While some will complain about ThinkTank gear being over priced, it's always delivered for me and I'm now especially fond of liking the choice of shoulder sling or belt worn, so that I can add a lens pouch, water bottle, audio (I use a Marantz 661 or a Tascam 40) and sometimes a shotgun mic with a dead cat and their lens drop bag is ideal. So I'm good to shoot stills and get my sound to use in Final Cut Pro. Or, just sling the camera bag over my shoulder and go.

Iowill

I'd also cast a vote for their newer Retrospective range of bags. The 7 looks ideal for also carrying an iPad. I borrowed a larger, version 1.0 for a series of street and conference shoots in Italy...lots of time on public busses, etc. and the bag drew zero attention. My friend had tumbled theirs in a drier on no heat setting just to rumple it up a bit and that helped make it looked like just another lived with shoulder bag with enough style as to not scream American with Expensive Glass On Board.

brent

wow lowill, can i see some of the output from your still and audio captures?

the Domke f-803 looks good too!

Guest [Deleted User]

Think outside the box. An infant's diaper bag will have all the features you need, and I guarantee no one is going to snatch it.

PhilWilson

I have just taken my two Xpro-1's three lenses, X10, Mac Book pro, iPad and all charges and cables, spare batteries, digital sound recorder and blower in a Lowpro mini trekker. Carry-on for European airlines. Great travel bag.

stevejacob

Stealth? Dont buy a branded camera bag. Most thieves know every label out there and will target a Billingham or a Domke before you can sneeze. I have a £20 canvas bag from a street market with the insert from a Lowepro Steath Reporter 200 (which I picked up SH for £10) so it looks like a man bag but has all the required protection and can take all the Xpro1 kit (body, lenses, flash) plus a bit of addition stuff (lightweight jacket, newspaper, Kindle) and it still looks like a non-entity. Luckily it's also too small for a laptop so it doesn't attract that kind of attention either.

tobes

Thanks all - I've picked up a ThinkTank Retrospective 7, and love it - might try that trick of running it through a cold tumble dryer :)

p3t3or

Picked this up, big enough for my computer, gear and others. I use it as my work brief case which allows me to bring my camera around everywhere with me. It is awesome.