Sign in to follow this  
Fredrik

Fujifilm Finepix X100 - a year in retrospect

mesquitahugo

Uau. Great, constructive article @Fredrik !

Thanks for sharing. I only got my X100 a week ago so I'm still learning the possibilities and quirks of this little gem. I am aware that this camera takes time to tame, but it's articles like this that really make one eager to learm more about it, rather than just trollin' around about it like so many users have done.

Beautiful pictures on your Flickr as well, I hope one day I manage to master photography this good. Well done!

WilzWorkz7

+2 same sentiments exactly. The x100 gets more air time now.

scottkim

Excellent review and the great summary of the history of X100 from the beginning till now.

elkman

Great review and perspective, Fredrik. And beautiful shots, too. I have enjoyed your review way better than Steve Huff's or Zack Arias' ... :-)

I am particularly impressed with the level of sharpness of your B&W photo. Did you do all your PP in Camera Raw or have you also used Silver Efex?

Fredrik

@elkman Thanks for the kind words :) Never tried Silver Efex. It's all Adobe Camera Raw / Lightroom, yep.

FinePixCamera

Excellent write up, although I disagree with two sentiments. You wrote: "The JPG engine of the X100 produces a jittery and smeary looking grain which gets worse as you go up the ISO."

Not my experience at all. I use the X100's ISO all the way up to 6400. I've never owned a camera with such a fine high ISO output in jpg as the X100. I leave noise reduction at its lowest setting. Perhaps that helps.

I also dont agree that the X Pro 1 has better IQ than the X100. Different yes, better, no.

slamphoto

Great review. I just got my X100 few days ago still getting use to it, this is my 1st rangefinder camera all my other camera is DSLR. Like what you said I need to convene my self that the fix lens will be better for me which I can save some money as a travel camera.

mattmaber

@FinePixCamera yeah jpeg out of the X100 is amazing, maybe he's set NR to high or sharpness maybe.

mattmaber

@slamphoto you realise its not 'technically' a rangefinder camera? Its just rangefinder style.

Rangefinders have a patch on the VF which you use to focus, unless theyre AF RFs like the Contax G1 & G2, but they use the same system.

Maybe someone more technically minded can correct me.

Fredrik

@mattmaber regarding the jpeg out of camera quality, it's absolutely stunning. I was comparing it to RAW though (maybe a bit unnecessary). The headline was RAW vs JPG.

I made a quick amendment to the review to clarify this. :)

Also, on another note, I've added two more articles on the X100. Check them out and let me know what you think!

Fujifilm Finepix X100 – LCD/EVF obeservations

http://fredrikaverpil.tumblr.com/post/28626186768/fujifilm-finepix-x100-lcd-evf-observations

Fujifilm Finepix X100 – RAW and film simulation

http://fredrikaverpil.tumblr.com/post/28691259420/fujifilm-finepix-x100-raw-and-film-simulation

mattmaber

Ive found JPEG better than RAW, but then Im using Aperture.

Also, I personally think RAW is generally overkill for this camera given the quality of the JPEGs. THough I understand it has its uses.

Its just for me the tradeoff of speed/filessize & quality between JPEGS and RAW makes the RAW files unncessary.

FinePixCamera

@FinePixCamera yeah jpeg out of the X100 is amazing, maybe he's set NR to high or sharpness maybe.

That would have to be the explanation. X100 jpegs are simply fantastic. I rarely ever shoot raw with that camera.