Sign in to follow this  
taylor

What speed of memory card do you use?

michael

UHS-1 card arrived, didnt really notice if the camera started up any quicker. 8 RAW burst in 16 seconds, saves 6 seconds, dont think I would really appreciate this or notice much of a difference in the real world. Ah well, at least I have an 8gb card.

JeremyDMeier

I bought the SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB class 1 card (95MB/sec write speed!!!) for $107 with the camera. Typically it's $179 I believe. I have never once waited for the camera to write files, not even when shooting video.... Iits the best!!!!

cifzo

I read about the 'need for speed', so have been using a Transcend 8Gb UHS (under $20 @Amazon). By my rough estimate, the write time for 1 RAW is less than 3 seconds. Similar to the timing on the Sandisk UHS card linked by Christopher. I wasn't sure how to get exact timing, but I guess I can video the process and then look at the timing in iMovie.

nourelrefai

I use a sandisk extreme pro class 10 95mb/s which is noticeably faster than another card I tried on my X100 which was class 10 23mb/s

So I recommend using the faster card you can find around you with the X100

Waleed

I use Transcend Class 10, which (according to specs) reads up to 20MB/s and writes up to 17MB/s.. But after reading this thread, I'm exploring the SanDisk UHS-1 Extreme Pro.

cosinaphile

trancend 16 and 32 class 10s reliable pretty fast and cheap

gregvds

I'm using the Sandisk Extreme Pro 16Gb class 10 95Mb/s SDHC I.

It seems fast enough to me :-). I sold around 60 euros here in Belgium, and I found it ridiculous to put a very cheap card in a 1000 euros camera, just to be frustrated waiting all the time for the pics to write down to the card, so I went for the best available.

It is better to stay bellow 32Gb since this seems to take much more time to be scanned by the X100 during boot up, hence the 16Gb choice. Anyway, I never was short of space, even shooting jpg + raw, but I was never lost in jungle 3 weeks long :-) with ten batteries fully charged, but rather was all the time back home every evening after a hard day of work with no picture taken (being realistic here).

All the best,

finneync

I too use the Estreme Pro 8gb Class 10 95Mb/s SDHC 1. I think it is the fastest on the market...I still have to format it after putting it into my iPad. Writes raw quickly though.

maique

Hey,

fresh x100 black, and also a fresh 32GB sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s.

no problems at all, blazing fast writing speeds.

(glad to have found this site, loaded with info...)

JeffPutty

I'm taking the x100 to a wedding next week (as a guest). I currently have a few class 10 (20Mb/s) cards and am looking to get a new card with burst mode in mind so as not to miss the moment. I am looking at the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95Mb/s card.

Does anyone know if there is a noticeable difference 45Mb/s and the 95Mb/s on the x100 specifically? i.e. does the x100 support 95Mb/s?

Getting 1 x 32Gb card is cheaper than 2 x 16Gb cards so preference would be the 32Gb card but is there a negative with this? I see people saying slower start-up but I can live with that.

RogerRabbit

X100 is not a sports action camera. I would say it unlikely to make any noticeable difference in shooting. The only dif will be when upload to PC if you have has USB3 card reader.

Only one card means if card fails you have no back up also if card damaged or lost you loose all photos.

JeffPutty

Hi Roger, I just mean if I want to shoot a burst of 3 or 4 shots, I don't want the camera hanging up while it writes the RAW files to the card and then miss an opportunity for another frame.

Agree on the card failure!

RogerRabbit

Fuji cameras right to card slow I do not think a fast card will solve your problem.

steve1401

SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s for me every time...

MB/s not Mb/s -> Mega [uppercase B = Bytes, Lowercase b = bits]... Now shoot me for being such a geek lol

RogerRabbit

Does anybody do real tests with different cards to time right speed? I mean real proper tests with same photo in same light and stop watch not opinion tests. I do not think card speed will make any dif fence for burst of 3 or 4 photos because Fuji internal right seed is very slow. Card speed will be good for upload from card reader.

nptremain

Currently using a Sandisk 8GB Extreme Pro "upto" 90MB/s, really quick compared to my friend's standard Class 10 card, his takes about 5 secs to write an image, mine is done in about a second.

streetsweeper

Sandisk extreme 16, and class 10 32's. I can notice a slight difference, but more noticeably from my eyefi (class 6). Video doesn't require high speed data transfer, photos do.

Does anybody do real tests with different cards to time *write* speed?

dimitri_b

I have used a 16 Gb class 4 card for years with my (slow) DSLR and never had any congestion problems. Put the same card in X10 and haven't noticed any speed issues at first, but then I sort of thought that sometimes I have to wait for camera to finish writing to card after bursts or several shots in quick succession.

So I bought SanDisk Extreme class 10 (45Mb/sec) and tested read/write speed on a computer using two different test apps - not much difference in speed between class 4 and 10 - both clocked in at 20 Mb/sec.

I then crudely timed each card in camera with a long burst of RAW shots, and class 10 was twice as fast as class 4 to finish writing to the card.

But for my normal shooting I do not feel any difference in speed.

rabpaul

dimitri_b,

So if you are shooting single or burst RAW or Jpeg+RAW Class 10 UHS-1, SanDisk Extreme (45Mb/sec) is UHS-1, would be best?

For single Jpegs any class will do i.e no significant difference between say Class 4, 6 or 10?

dimitri_b

dimitri_b,

So if you are shooting single or burst RAW or Jpeg+RAW Class 10 UHS-1, SanDisk Extreme (45Mb/sec) is UHS-1, would be best?

For single Jpegs any class will do i.e no significant difference between say Class 4, 6 or 10?

Correct. If you shoot RAW in bursts, get the fastest card your budget allows, i.e. Extreme Pro (95Mb/s). If you shoot single JPEGs, you won't notice any difference between class 4 and anything faster - I haven't.

I think with single JPEGs the in-camera processing becomes the "bottleneck", rather than card's write speed. In other words, camera takes more time to process than it takes to write the small JPEG file to a class 4 card.

Mind you, we are talking about microseconds here, the point is that here is no advantage in a faster card if it has to wait for camera just like a slower card.

ryanVargas

SanDisk Extreme Pro(95Mb/sec) 16gb or 32gb? How many Raw+Jpeg for each model?

darylcheshire

Don't forget to periodically format your card.

I understand that plugging the card into a card reader on a Windows machine writes folders or thumbnails or something and the effect in your camera is that it can take around 4 seconds to wake up. It also might have been the iPad which writes an empty folder structure.

If you offload the photos and format the card in the camera, this will fix the problem. Probably, if you export photos via the USB cable, you will avoid the problem.