Sign in to follow this  
richheath

Some X10 Infrared Shots

richheath

I've been experimenting with infrared on the X10 for the last couple of weeks. I've loved infrared since my film days - I must say it's much easier using digital! I don't have a step up ring yet, so I've been holding the filter against the lens while taking the shot - tricky! Needless to say I've now ordered an adapter ring... Anyway, here are some of my favourites:

DSCF7915

DSCF7879

Near Canoe Lake IR

DSCF7248

DSCF6594

Anyone else care to share?

WillH

Geeze I like those! Let us know how the adapter ring deal works out! I'm very interested. Also, would like to know which IR filter you're using brand and number! Seems Hoya is different than Kinko, etc.

richheath

Thanks! It's a hoya R72 (from a purple box). I bought it from a reliable seller (to avoid fakes!) on ebay for £15. I may have to do the old taping up of the back of the step up ring to prevent light leakage, but I'm prepared for that.

Redstrand

I dig the IR shots. Have an adapter and filter on the way.

tdwphx

Stunning effects. I especially like the last shot of the church framed by the trees. Can you provide more info on the settings you used for these shots? I assume you're using B&W film simulation. What adapter ring are you getting?

richheath

Thanks folks. Lovely shots depscribe. I've not really had much trouble at all, except for my finger appearing in the corner of the frame, as I try to hold the IR filter against the lens!

@Redstrand: great, hope you enjoy your new outlook on the world...

@tdwphx: All of the meta data is intact in the flickr image links in case you want to look. I actually shoot them RAW (to counter the inevitable under exposure) and process in ACR. I have set up a preset which does the majority of the extreme slider moving, then I customise the settings per shot.

richheath

A few more IRs from today (taking advantage of a rare day of sunshine in this abysmal British summer of ours!)

Southsea IR

Southsea IR

Southsea IR

Southsea IR

Edouard

Very nice shots.I just bought a 720N IR filter,(40.5mm + 40mm to 40.5 adapter) and tried it out,using B/W mode but my results were very low in contrast.Had to use PP to get semi-acceptable images.In bright sunlight,ISO 400,the exposures were around 1/8 sec@ f/2.8,so a tripod is a must.BTW, only had my X1o for a week and it is amazing what the camera is capable of.

Edouard

richheath

Hi Edouard,

No, the X10 is not perfect for IR (as you've found), but it's certainly a lot better than many other modern cameras. As you mention, quite a lot of PP is needed on the images - I shoot RAW with auto ISO 1600 (as I tend not to have a tripod with me) with dynamic range on DR400 to make sure I get as much information in the RAW as possible. I've created a settings template in Camera RAW that I apply to all my IR images to give me a good starting point. I can then adjust the settings as needed. Shutter speeds are normally around 1/15-1/25 for me, which with the IS is definitely hand holdable (although telephoto can be a little challenging...).

Once you've perfected your technique, post a few shots!

Alexx

Very nice, you gave me some inspiration for my new x10.

So much to discover yet about this camera ..

Ultrax

Do you just use the X10 metering for IR photos with a dark rd filter attached?

richheath

Yes, I let the X10 do it's own metering with the filter held in front.