Sign in to follow this  
seaton carew

Which is your main mode of shooting RAW or JPG?

seaton carew

Personally i always shoot Raw just for the benefits it gives over Jpg.

Any views on this?.

I began shooting RAW exclusively once I started using Adobe Lightroom for my workflow last year. I had tried to make the switch in 2005 but I didn't have the appropriate software to easily work with them, so I gave up on it. The cost of storage was a lot more expensive back then too, I could save space with JPG's. The big RAW files also made editing a slower process, my computer wasn't built to handle it. In hindsight I have some images that I wish I had kept the RAW files for, I just can't push the old JPG's as far in post production.

These days it seems much easier to work with RAW, all sorts of software supports it, hard drives are cheap, and so is extra RAM for computers to handle the editing. I must admit though, the 30-45 MB files that come out of my Canon 60D become pretty large once I save them out as TIFF files, easily 120MB.

I find RAW files to be much more forgiving in post production, particularly as someone who chronically underexposes his photos (It's this bright Arizona desert sun messing with my brain!)

I will say that the JPGs I've seen come off the X100 are some of the best I've seen from an ASP-C camera. Their in camera processor is quite impressive. I've never been one to bother with in camera 'creative modes,' but for some reason I'm enamored by the film modes. Maybe I'm just a sucker for nostalgic colors?

One project I'd like to do with my X100 is street portraiture, where I print a small photo for the subject to take home, straight off my camera with a portable photo printer. That will probably be the only time I shoot RAW+JPG.

seaton carew

Chris.

The average raw comes in at 19mbs and tiff can be 30+ depending on your PP.

not a fan of jpg purely because of its PP limitations.

WilzWorkz7

two views

a) JPG. Will always force myself to maximise whatever I can do at the point of shooting, not at the point of post processing. Call it a mistrust of human behaviour. Once I get lazy at the point of shooting, will over rely on PP too much. Just to keep myself on my toes. Most of the time I also shoot events and weddings...that explains the reason why too.

B) RAW. Important Landscape, very mixed lighting and times when I know the WB is really crap. Consists about 5% of my shots nowadays and may be less because x100 is really doing a great job in camera with JPEG.

Anyway there is no right or wrong answer to this. Some people like to stay in the dark room a lot more than out shooting...some like to shoot more and less time in front of the monitor...i am more of the later (unless I am doing some design work with the photos I took).

seaton carew

WilzWorkz7.

You have made two good points. for me shooting raw with very little editing most of the time makes excellent tiffs or jpg's, its down to ones own taste.

galumay

I am shooting in RAW for the first time in my photographic adventures, its a bit clunky, converting to adobe DNG and then importing to Aperture but i figure its part of the journey with the X100 for me!

seaton carew

galumay.

IF you set your images to Raw/Fine in menu it may help. gives an raw and jpg image on your Pc. Hope that's been useful.

galumay

Thanks Seaton, yep thats how i am using it, that way I can compare the JPG to the RAW image. Its just clunky because Aperture doesnt yet have native support for X100 RAW so I have to use Adobe DNG converter so that I can import them into Aperture & also edit in Photoshop.

ehiris

RAW+JPEG. Gives you more freedom on the exposure. I like the +JPEG because I can set the b&w if I want to and still have the color version. I think that B&W in the viewfinder is one of the coolest things with this camera.

+JPEG for B&W is a good idea, I like how the camera handles it, I'm always so indecisive on how to process them after the fact.

A photographer friend of mine once recommended that I shoot in B&W but with RAW, because if a photo doesn't look good in monochrome then it probably isn't a good photo in color either.

ehiris

Yeah, actually my thought on it is that many times I shoot something that looks interesting but the tones are totally off. Being able to see b&w gives you a better idea of the tones and help you make the decision of what balances well.

wchutt

Raw 100 % of the time. I paid dearly for all that information and I refuse to throw it away in-camera.

Actually, when the exposure is perfect, the extra information in the RAW file is not needed. So it doesn't matter when the RAW data is discarded as long as you never make a mistake with exposure. DPReview reports the X100 jpeg rendering is excellent.

I still plan to use RAW only though. I really do hate throwing data away before I know for sure the data is redundant.

MikeeNu

Does anyone know how to show the raw file preview in the thumbnail for mac? I have the latest camera raw for CS5 so I can open them fine (also have the Lightroom update)... but I rely heavily on viewing via finder.

You'll have to wait for Apple to release a "Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update" that supports the X100. This is the same update needed for X100 RAW file support in Aperture and iPhoto. I haven't heard of any ETA for the update though.

MikeeNu

All I needed to do was ask because the update is now available lol... Thanks for the reply

Screen%20shot%202011-05-17%20at%201.41.1