selling my x100, barely used, as is in box and with fuji adapter and hood

pokemon

• 2 weeks later...

reason being that its too sophisticated for me...u need to know phtography to like this camera..i bought it because its gorgeous to look at..i'm more of a point and shoot person

pokemon,

I understand about the size...

My X100 is my photography camera and on quick outings (like walking the dog) where a "pocket size" camera is best I take along my Canon S95. But x100static & ooicl are right about making your X100 a full auto esay to manage camera with outstanding results.

Good luck!

I too wish this camera was pocket size...you can get spoiled not having to carry a camera on your shoulder all day. Or then it's competing with my DSLR.

And it's not for everyone...the Auto setting works great for me! Very impressed! But the aperture Auto setting seems to take the opposite road of most point and shoots (which I love)...so you do need to know a little photography basics to get everything in focus if that's what you want.

But you would also need that knowledge to get a point and shoot to take a picture like this one does on Auto! (and good luck with that!)

Very impressive how well the flash works in all situations (so far). Much better than my DSLRs and point and shoots.

It's expensive (but high quality) and I wish it were a bit smaller, but it's a great camera.

Sorry to highjack your sales thread...good luck on the sale.

Sure you want to sell it? : )

Best regards

This may help you with using the camera.

First, in the "Set" up menu, make sure the "ISO AUTO CONTROL" is set to "ON", and that MAX. SENSITIVITY is set to 3200. The MIN. SHUTTER SPEED setting depends on how still you can hold the camera, and varies person to person. Let's set it to 1/30 for now unless your have a preference. Feel free to mess with this last setting.

Next, make sure the switch on the side of the camera is set to the middle position, AF-S.

To me, this camera requires the half-shutter press technique to get the focus where you want it. This is where you put the focus square on where you want to focus, half press the shutter to hold the focus, then compose or frame the picture while still holding the shutter, and press the rest of the way down on the shutter to take the shot.

You could do the same thing by switching the side switch to "M" (manual focus).

Put the focus square on what you want to focus on, tap the AFL button to autofocus on that spot, then compose / frame the picture, and press on the shutter to take the shot.

Kool, eh?

Advantage of the second method is that you don't have to change to Macro mode to take a picture of something close.

After awhile, this technique will become second nature.

The second thing to learn would be the Aperture dial, which is the numbered ring on the lens barrel.

Let's try working with this, leaving everything else on "A" or Auto.

Setting the Aperture ring to "A" or Auto, tends to create a picture where only a certain small area, distance-wise is in focus. This can draw the eye to your photo subject and is quite nice.

Setting the Aperture ring to "2", would have a similar effect as this "A" setting.

Sometimes you want different distances to be in focus at the same time. This is where you might have to leave the "A" setting behind to get what you want.

Just remember, the higher the number on the Aperture dial, the more depth of the picture is in focus, but the less light that gets in the camera and the longer the shutter is open. So in low light, you tend to use lower numbers.

This is a bit of an over simplification, but you will get the idea playing with it.

Try using the flash to fill in shadows, light up dark spaces, to light up peoples faces standing in front of a sunset (or no flash to create silhouettes against the sunset) and you're well on your way!

It's a great camera to learn on, and great to shoot on with a few learned skills.

These X100's are hard to come by at the moment, and I'm guessing they will be for awhile. I say hold on to it and try to learn a couple tricks. If not, there will still be a demand for quite awhile if you still want to sell.

And my apologies to everyone hoping to buy this one!

Stick with it, pokemon. Even if just for 1 week. Keep it and it will reward you in the long term. If all you need is a point-and-shoot, you can probably afford a cheap one on top of the X100 anyway. You bought this for its looks. Go with your first instincts. It’s a keeper.

Stick with it, pokemon. Even if just for 1 week. Keep it and it will reward you in the long term. If all you need is a point-and-shoot, you can probably afford a cheap one on top of the X100 anyway. You bought this for its looks. Go with your first instincts. It’s a keeper.

+1

As they say, "It ain't worth it if it is not fought for"

ur2funky gave you all the details for success with simplicity. Just imaging taking a beautiful photo which deserves to be enlarged and you took it with a $75 pocket size camera... ouch!

Like x100static wrote if you need a pocket size camera...get one. I've had more fun recently with my X100 then my D300 and needed a kick to get me out there and shoot. So far I have printed some beautiful 13" x 19".

I'm keeping it!

@ ur2funky: thank you so much for the tips! will try them and see how it goes..i guess i need to learn how to use this camera well..gave up soon as i didnt understand the auto focusing and found it too slow

You made the right choice! On behalf of everyone here, let me give you a hearty slap on the back and a big round of applause. Remember to keep us all updated with your progress and how you feel about your decision later ;) .

This is my first "serious" camera for a very long time. Haven't touched my old SLR’s for years. I used to shoot everything with a Lomo LC-A. Then, when that broke, I opted for a cheap little Canon Digital Ixus. It was ok. But in my unskilled hands, I could never really get the result I saw in my head.

Forgive me for pushing you hard on keeping the X100. It's just that I'm getting so much joy from mine and I'm happy cos it makes me push myself further.

@x100static...that's why u choose that nick in the first place because you are ecstatic with it.

@pokemon. Time to go out there to poke your nose around to shoot more. Remember just P and focus and get that in and slowly learn composition. As the Japanese say "Gambatte!"

You made the right choice! On behalf of everyone here, let me give you a hearty slap on the back and a big round of applause. Remember to keep us all updated with your progress and how you feel about your decision later

;)

This is my first "serious" camera for a very long time. Haven't touched my old SLR’s for years. I used to shoot everything with a Lomo LC-A. Then, when that broke, I opted for a cheap little Canon Digital Ixus. It was ok. But in my unskilled hands, I could never really get the result I saw in my head.

Forgive me for pushing you hard on keeping the X100. It's just that I'm getting so much joy from mine and I'm happy cos it makes me push myself further.

Archived