Sign in to follow this  
PurestBlue

[X-Pro1] Which lens adapter? Whose glass?

PurestBlue

I've seen a couple of different manufacturers offering lens adapters for the X-Pro1, but I don't know which is the better quality item so please recommend, or give reasons to avoid, a particular brand.

Then we're onto glass... There's a lot of good glass out there, but I've none worth keeping from previous kit - what I could afford then is nowhere near the standard of what can be had cheaply from, say, redundant Olympus/Zuiko OM or Canon FD ranges.

Now, do I pick a camp and buy one adapter, or do I pick the best lenses I can lay my hands on, and buy as many adapters as I need? ....this last idea didn't come to me until I started typing, I was going to ask which 'camp' I should go with, but all of a sudden I don't see a either/or decision to be made, but a rainbow of opportunity!

esky25

I have a couple from rainbow imaging for M mount and EF mount. They fit but barely. Tight enough to scare me when I first put them on. Cheap though.

franco

Thinking much the same thing myself (got the XP1 on Saturday)...I used to work in the industry many moons ago, and always recall Zuiko lenses being really good. The did a 100mm F2 I believe, which was much respected.

Having said that, I see a few folk on here whacking Nikon glass on their XP1's, and I've seen some nice images using those optics.

Like you, I'm thinking multiple adapters! Why not?

TWH

Fuji has the lens roadmap laid out and they've shown they can make great fuji xf lenses (e.g., 35mm) at a reasonable price which can take advantage of AF and be better than a lot of other lenses out there. One option is buy Fuji glass if you (and Fuji) are committed the XF format.

Redstrand

I have a bunch of m42(screwmounts) that I use with my Canon stuff. Once I get a XPro I'll get an adapter for them...too good of glass to not use them.

TeePee

If I do decide to purchase non Fuji glass for my XP1, I will probably purchase some second hand Canon FD or any brand that allows "on the lens aperture adjustments".It will have to be good quality glass, of course. I would be looking at f2.8 or larger.

WilzWorkz7

Some of my shots with adapted glass. The gallery has both mixture of X Fuji lens and adapted glass. This is to show if one can find differences.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wilzworkz/sets/72157630465572466/

My blog on the matter: http://wilzworkz.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/wilzworkz-intensive-test-x-pro-1-wedding-shoot-adapted-lens-test-my-small-little-rantings/

My feel of the adaptor: my main test is always to see if the adaptor is tight and hold unto the lens as though it is part of the main body. The Kipon does a good job and there is no loose sensation during the whole shoot even when paired with heavy lens such as my sigma 70-200 and 11-16mm Tokina. The last thing i want is to feel the camera being unwieldy when I am shooting. That creates unnecessary movement.

The key thing to note is that the distance from lens to the sensor should emulate the old camera as closely as possible (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance). For example the flange distance between the end of the lens to the film in my old Canon L1 Rangefinder should be the same between the end of the lens to the sensor of the XPRO1. That would maximise the image quality of the lens you adapted the camera to. As for this distance, the shorter it is the better as light intensity will weaken as the distance travelled becomes longer.

Because of this flange distance, i would say that it would be better to get old RF based lens rather than using SLR based lens as the flange distance is definitely shorter for RF lens. That said, I still find SLR Lens is able to hold the Image Quality pretty well.