Sign in to follow this  
bonsai1157

I Just Don't Get It

bonsai1157

I have read reviews from all over the net dissing Fujifilms firmware. I am no genius, but I had this software down in less than one day. Compared to my Canon EOS 7D it was childs play. I am still trying to figure out all of the options and settings regarding my 7D. Configurable buttons are endless. At least the X100 only has one. From the perspective of a new owner I am delighted with the simplicity.

davidplatt

I agree that the 2 menu's are not too deep they are easy.

Certain things are better left as hard switches or buttons.

Still when my auto iso is keeping me from a lower iso than I want and I have to drill through through two menu's just to do it and half of the time the dam rotary switch gives you either macro or colour temp. So you then discover that if you use you index finger it is more accurate and there goes ergonomics out the window.

Maybe the raw button should get repurposed as the menu button and all the important things be moved to the first level and then if I wanted Macro or flash or iso or special features I could get them from rotary button witch is just great the way it is.

WilzWorkz7

I have to agree with David that some important switches are not on the dial. I would love the timer to be there as well, along with flash and ISO settings.

But bonsai is also right in some ways. There are always things needed improving, especially the menu system. However, it is not so bad as it was shown to be in the media. They may just be looking for the nicks in an otherwise shiny armour.

john_pa

IMHO, one of the greatest improvements to the x100 interface would be to simply add a third “user-defined” high-level menu, like Canon has. This way we could “copy” the functions to there that are important to us, mixing and matching from the existing “shooting” and “settings” menus, and we could get to these with a single button press (if it was also the default menu screen). In my Canon cameras I almost never need to leave that one “user-defined” screen because 95% of what I need a menu for is right there. I have to believe that this would be simple to do, too.

mattmaber

@john_pa my Nikon D90 has a FN button which works similary, it has all my quick menu options in it (focus mode, clean sensor etc)