Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

My X100 Arrived!

Christopher

I received my X100 today! I had pre-ordered on March 18th with OneCall.com after hearing they only had 20 or so pre-orders, figuring I'd have better odds than with some of the larger camera stores. It seemed that I missed out on the first US shipment, but to my luck someone declined their pre-order, and I was next in line!

First impressions - The view finder is incredible! It's so clear and bright, the projected data works quite well. I focus a lot on parallel lines in my photography, it's going to take a little getting used to the 'lens distortion' the viewfinder has. The camera is lighter than I anticipated, but it feels very sturdy. The manual focus ring is a bit quirky, focus by wire just doesn't feel right. I'm not sure how much I'll use manual focus anyways, without a focusing screen in the optical view finder. The autofocus feels quick to me, and is sharp as a tack so far.

I'm excited to go out shooting today and get acquainted with it!

seaton carew

Nice one Chris, Have FUN ;;) looking forwared to viewing pics on the Flickr.

Here's my first published image from my X100:

Vietnamese Grocery

I had an awesome day shooting with the camera, trying to get a feel for it. I must have walked 6 miles today around Phoenix, AZ. I absolutely love the camera, and I'm looking forward to the new opportunities it will provide me. It's going to push me further as a photographer.

I definitely need to replace the camera strap with a wrist strap or sling strap, I felt like it kept getting in my way.

The camera truly is inconspicuous, well suited for street photography. This is something I want to explore, and I definitely have a lot to learn. It's incredibly quiet, my friend I was shooting photos with today never knew when I was taking a shot.

I still need to update my firmware to 1.01, but many of the gripes people have had with the camera's menus and controls are immediately apparent. I'm optimistic that future firmware updates will resolve a number of these quirks. One thing I'm finding worrisome is that I cannot entirely trust the optical view finder's frame lines. They seem to crop the actual shot down by about 5-10%, which is frustrating when trying to meticulously frame an image. Despite the quirks, the images from the camera are stellar, and like all photographic tools, one can learn work well within its bounds.

I burned through the battery after about 270 shots, but it wasn't fully charged to begin with. Not too shabby considering how much I was fiddling with things, but I'm definitely glad I have two spares on their way.

I'm continually impressed with the image quality, particularly the colors this camera captures. I feel like I'm doing very little in post processing, compared to my Canon 60D.

Well that's all for now! I'm off to edit more photos.

jtomchak

I would like to see someone to a lego man unboxing of the X100. Just say'in.

I've been working on editing more of my photos from day 1, here are a few more:

Loading Dock

Shipping Container

3rd St/Washington

xtianyves

Congrats! I just got word that mine is ready for pickup tomorrow here in Vancouver. I've been lurking around here for a while and simply assumed you had yours already!

Love the first few shots so far especially the loading bay area. Look forward to more from you!

seaton carew

Chris.

Just new that you would love it, nice pics.

Welcome to the community @xtianyves! Congrats on getting your camera too, I hope you've cleared your schedule for today to go out shooting!

I had been waiting many months for US shipments to start, fortunately I made it into the first batch. The wait gave me way too much time to sit and research the camera, so I figured I'd share some of the info I collected with everyone else :)

Thanks for the kind words Seaton, I really do love it!

xtianyves

Very nice indeed! I only wish the skies could be as clear and blue here in Vancouver right now so I can get some nice photos.

My favorite one is the tower against the wispy clouds and the blue sky.

Thanks guys! I was surprised by both of those photos after seeing them on my computer, I didn't think either of them would turn out. I love the patterns in the perforated metal of the pumping station photo.

I was out shooting again today, taking advantage of the rare cloudy weather (despite my backlog of photos to edit).

Protected

Bold Garage

View-Master

Car Wash Tokens

Double Tree

And many more to come, it was a great day of exploration!

MikeeNu

Wow, I love all your photos. Your compositions are so good. Very graphic designer like.

Christopher

Thanks @MikeeNu!

Earlier this week I decided to return my X100 to the dealer and purchase a new one, rather than send in my new unit for repair. The dust buildup in the view finder was a frustration and concern, but a second issue arose that pushed me to send it back. When I first received my camera I noted that the rear control wheel felt loose, it was sloppy to use and would often misstep. I thought this was just a reality of the X100, until I handled another one and found it to function as expected, nice and solid. After two weeks of use the wheel developed a squeaky, gritty sound, as if something was out of place in the mechanism. Lacking confidence in my unit, I sent it back.

My second X100 arrived today from B&H Photo, it appears to be well built and the control wheel is sturdy. It's serial # is 12A0044X, an earlier build than my 12A0128X. I suspect this is one of the units Fujifilm USA returned to Japan for adjustment after inspecting each camera in the first shipment. Other photographers have reported receiving low serial numbered units recently too.

I'm glad to have an X100 again, the few days without it were a good reminder of why I like it so much. It suits my shooting style so much better than my 60D, I really didn't like lugging my Canon around again.

Lauren

Wow these photos are great! I love the lines and colours. Nice one!

Just a couple more I hadn't yet posted:

Tin Can Alley

HOT COFFEE

I'm starting to get quite a backlog of photos to review and edit! If only there were more time in the day...