Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

My X100 Arrived!

JPizzzle

great photos! Those colors are great, are you shooting in raw or are the colors from one of the jpeg options?

AndyS

Hi! I pre-ordered my X100 yesterday from J&R. Here's to hoping it doesn't take forever to arrive! (Is it okay to post before I have an X100 in hand?!?)

Christopher, I notice you wear glasses. How is the viewfinder when wearing them? Is it significantly larger than an entry-level DSLR? My D3100's viewfinder is driving me crazy! And I like your shots, too!

Unfortunately my glasses do give me a narrower view through the viewfinder, much like with a DSLR. When I look through it without my glasses, I'm a little bummed at what I miss! I wouldn't say it's been a problem though, I just have to be a bit more careful if I'm trying to perfectly frame something. Sometimes I have to shift my eye slightly to see all of the digital indicators.

Compared to my Canon 60D, which has a larger viewfinder than entry level DSLR's, the Fuji X100's optical viewfinder is larger and brighter. That may be slightly deceptive though because the X100's viewfinder provides a wider view with frame lines, while DSLR's show 95-100% of the image frame. I hadn't used my 60D in over a month up until last week, and I found myself missing the view through the X100.

StanleyMcguffin

love the gas pump the the X100 seems to love shoot rusty textured objects

Christopher

This is from my early experimentation with street photography, taken on the train.

Ticket Validation

I took the photo back in May, but I felt conflicted about sharing it because I think it gives the wrong impression of what was really happening, despite being a very interesting scene! The officer was actually just explaining how to validate a transit pass at the ticket machine.

skunkeing

Christopher,

I just got around to looking in this thread this morning and I'm so verry happy I did. These are amazing images. I can't even pick one I like most, because I'm just a fan. Love the colors, the patterns, the movement from stillness. Awesome. I almost never shoot straight on anymore and you have completely inspired me to do just that. I really, really love these. Are these truly the straight out of the camera RAW? Do you bump saturation and luminance? Run these through any kind of tonal correction? I notice some of your shots have a little vignetting. Are you applying this in RAW or afterwards in PS? Or heaven forbid...are these actually real light fall-offs? : )

That last shot is very interesting. Kind of a morale dilemma. It absolutely looks like that guy is about to be arrested in a heated confrontation. Knowing the real backstory is a very cool example of how we read things into still images through the composition and critical moment captured. Not always the whole truth, but a truth nonetheless.

I went out this morning and shot a few shots as my Christopher homage. Will post them soon.

skunkeing

Not actually shot with the X100, but inspired by the "Christopher Collection". :)

Christopher

Thank you @skunkeing, those are looking good.

I do shoot RAW, but these images have been edited. The color is very close to original, however I do apply a subtle tint. I also edit the tone of the images a bit to increase the contrast and bring out some of the more subtle details. Lens distortion and vignetting is removed in Lightroom, and then I restore the vignette after editing. When the X100 shoots JPG it actually removes the lens vignette in processing, but with RAW it remains. They have also been sharpened a bit.

My urban photography series is a collection I'm working on for a future art show. My current art show, Rail Yard, features abstract images from train cars, framed in a similarly parallel manner. They're very textural, with bold colors, intricate details, and hidden typography. Take a look at the current set on my website at www.chrismarks.com.

skunkeing

Love the train cars. You'd have a blast shooting some of the taggers street work here in Brooklyn. I knew a wonderful painter a few years back that did a similar kind of study doing these huge oil on canvas work of cereal box art. Seeing just a painted sliver of a Sugar Smacks box or a Corn flakes logo blown up to wall size...had the same kind of hypnotic effect as the rail cars. Very cool stuff. P.S.- I'm interested in your...subtle tinting idea. Do you do this in the RAW conversion tint slider or as a layer in Photoshop using some other technique?

Christopher

I think I'd be so overwhelmed shooting photos in Brooklyn, I'd make it down one city block and my memory card would be full!

The tint is based on a cross processing filter from onOne, applied at around 8%.

Gezamo

All your wall image photos are so great. Very graphic design feel to it. Love them all.

Pelixiano

it's an awesome set of photos

you really like straight lines are you

i guess you are an architect

Joe Orban

Nice photos. I see approximate golden-section ratios in some of the photos, well done compositions.

Thanks everyone :)

I want to get out and shoot more but it's been dangerously hot the past two weeks, over 110°F (43°C) every day. To make things worse, I usually only shoot on cloudy days, and there hasn't been a cloud in the sky for weeks. Hopefully monsoon season will start early this year...