Sign in to follow this  
LarsNielsen

old Fujica camera recommendations?

There's nothing like the old Fuji rangefinders. If you can afford a GSW690, treat yourself to that. The prints that thing make are just incredible. They are large, but easy to manage.

I had one of those GS645W some years ago,fantastic little camera if you can live with the fixed lens; it's got that bit extra in neg size over 35mm. Suppose it was the roll film equiv of the X100. Changed it for a GSW690 monster but fabulous quality, no wonder it was nicknamed 'the Texas Leica'

Fujica Mini,c1964, 1/2 frame, targeted at the female enthusiast, pink lens/sensor, no ebay listing, might come across it in antique/thrift shops, a knowledgeable seller could demand up to $ 300 for it:

flickr photo

specs

Fujicarex, c1962, leaf shutter SLR, two thumb wheels on the back of the top housing, just bellow the advance lever control aperture/focusing

Rear view of the aperture/focusing controls: Fujicarex II

Front view: Fujicarex II

Just like the Mini, a hard to find model that could demand up to $ 150, no ebay listing

Super Fujica-6, Super Fujica Six M, c1956, horizontal folder in 6X6 format, Seikota-MX lens/shutter pics here

no ebay listing, it could demand up to $ 500

wow! I am impressed and confused. This film-world is huge;-)

Found this Voigtlander. Any saying in that one?

Link: http://www.photografica.com/product/voigtl-nder-vsl1-tm-sort-50-1-8-color-ultron_27171/

Not to promote anything t all. But this is the number 1 used-cam-shop in DK. You should check their used-cam-webshop. Use google translate;-) Link: http://www.photografica.com/?prodmode=old

@FinePixCamera I noticed that they made the GSW690 in 3 versions. I II and III. Which one are you talking bout?

They are all the same optically. I had the I version and loved it. The III version is more ergonomic and modern looking but would cost a bit more. Whatever you can afford will work. I needed something smaller so I bought a GA645 recently. Only half the negative size, which is a bit of a shame but I still like it. Shooting film is really great on these old Fuji's.

They are all the same optically. I had the I version and loved it.

Not entirely, they've got the same optics but they have different coatings (the II and III having better coatings); furthermore the mk I has a cold shoe and doesn't have a way to lock your shutter release meaning you could accidentally trip it... and considering how many shots you get per roll would be a shame.

Still, all 3 versions of the GW690 or GSW690 are just amazing. Pure film, 100% manual, amazing optics beasts... you cannot go wrong with them.

Check out the work of Kip Praslowicz he has been using them for a while with great results. Here is a video of him in action:

They are all the same optically. I had the I version and loved it.

Not entirely, they've got the same optics but they have different coatings (the II and III having better coatings); furthermore the mk I has a cold shoe and doesn't have a way to lock your shutter release meaning you could accidentally trip it... and considering how many shots you get per roll would be a shame.

Still, all 3 versions of the GW690 or GSW690 are just amazing. Pure film, 100% manual, amazing optics beasts... you cannot go wrong with them.

Check out the work of Kip Praslowicz he has been using them for a while with great results. Here is a video of him in action:

Cool video. I'm wondering how he is metering when he uses his GSW690, especially with flash. He is firing off all kinds of shots but not metering. Is this just for show or has he worked out a way to meter all kinds of scenes in split second? Also, his rapid fire shooting means that his 8 or 10 shot rolls (cant remember what a GSW690 gets/roll) will be burnt up pretty quick.

Cool video. I'm wondering how he is metering when he uses his GSW690, especially with flash. He is firing off all kinds of shots but not metering. Is this just for show or has he worked out a way to meter all kinds of scenes in split second? Also, his rapid fire shooting means that his 8 or 10 shot rolls (cant remember what a GSW690 gets/roll) will be burnt up pretty quick.

The lighting of the scene seems pretty constant so I would guess you meter once or twice to make sure you're good and then shoot away. Especially if you are really used to one particular brand of film and a camera you just can guesstimate the light, a friend of mine just nails his tri-x exposure every time.

8 shots with 120 film, if he shoots with 220 (whose availability must be waning) you could get 16.

26 rolls of 220

http://www.kpraslowicz.com/2011/06/14/a-marathon-of-photography/

sigh..........you are tempting me with this wonderful camera. I had such a blast shooting with the GSW690. I made many, many 24 X 36" prints with that camera. Stunning sharpness from that spectacular lens.

Makes my GA645 look like a pee wee camera.

I fell for the digital trap and got rid of my GSW690. Got exactly what I paid for it. Many years of ownership and didnt lose a dime. But it was stupid for me to sell.

The very first camera I lusted after was the STX-2. I was about 14, and thought it looked so cool. Couldnt afford it of course, and had to settle for a tank called a Zenit E.

I saw an STX 2 on Ebay recently - £25 w/55 f2 - and its just as lovely as I remember.

Good luck with finding lenses for it though!!!

As a Fuji Pro Products Rep for 20 years, I would say the best 35mm is the ST801.  The LED meter allowed accurate adjustment to 1/4 stop.
Also, not all the medium format cameras had the same optics in every generation.  They always made slight improvements from generation to generation.
The AX series always gets a short straw, but the AX-5 was a really great camera.
The Fujicarex was cool, but wasn't really dependable and the lenses weren't Fuji's best.
The GX617 put every other panorama camera to shame.
And then theh GX 680.  What Mamiya cameras WANTED to be.  Better quality lenses than the Zeiss on the Blads, with view camera controls and interchangable bellows.  I dumped most of my view cameras when the 680 arrived.