New Sony RX1 - An X100 killer?

elkman

Meh. I think the bullet points (ff sensor, good lens, small size) are individually appealing, but the complete package (w/o built in finder, sort of a hybridized digicam+direct control scheme) doesn't appeal to me that much. Of course this may be a new direction to develop the nex series in.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so stunned by the cost, I can't even concentrate on the features. Is it possible that people will buy it

because

it is so expensive? That would be disturbing.

Isn't that why Leica sells most of its cameras? :))

I'm only half kidding... ;))

I must say, even if I could find the money, a camera only offering display as standard finder would not attract me. Only advantage I see is if the lens quality, together with fullframe chip, will offer double crop of what I get from X100 (to compensate for missing tele converter).

We should cheer for RX1. Sony is really motivating other makers to roll their sleeves up. As soon as I heard RX1, my expectation for X200 went up. No it doesn't have to be FF. I don't want such humongous lens.

Just had a look at the Sony Switzerland website to check for availability ... the list price of the RX1 here is 3'800 CHF ... which translates at 4'100 USD at the current exchange rate. I think Sony have gone out of their mind completely.

Sony is offering me one for only $2519.99 and 18-month, no interest financing. But unless they offer free shipping, I'm afraid the deal is off.

You are paying $2519, but you wouldn't spend another $10-20 on shipping? Just saying...

This is more of a "proof of concept" product to me. Yes they can produce a FF camera that small. Except it's not finished. They neglected to include something crucial in a $3000 camera: a viewfinder. Oops! Maybe Sony thinks we won't mind. But hey look, this way they get to show off a FF camera smaller than an X100 at hundreds less than with a VF.

Sony is offering me one for only $2519.99 and 18-month, no interest financing. But unless they offer free shipping, I'm afraid the deal is off.

You are paying $2519, but you wouldn't spend another $10-20 on shipping? Just saying...

I think Ludwig is kidding ;)

ANyone else read this?

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/09/22/photokina-thoughts-by-ralph-howald-with-my-thoughts-and-yours-sony-rx1-leica-m-fuji-x-e1/

seems the choice of no VF is simply one marketing "He responded that all Cybershots would not have VF’s"

Read the post with the comments. The one camera most ppl seemed to have liked was the x-e1

:)>-

• 4 weeks later...

@Tom thats not what Sony would have you believe, they said that range is VFinderless

I hadn't heard that Matt. Makes no difference to me though, as I'm not looking to buy in the foreseeable future. But, if they can put a VF on a Nex-7, why not this? I know there is a whole generation of users accustomed to no VFs on a camera, but for $3000, I'm dubious.

Archived