Over exposing

Andre

Well, I don´t think it is as simple as that.

My X100 also overexpose pretty often, and I dont seem to have sticky aperture blades as the pictures are consistant over the range.

However as I did some testing with my Nikon D7000 the X100 seem to overexpose 2/3 to 1 stop over the Nikon metering consistantly, and I feel the Nikon metering is more on target. As you say, both cameras don´t handle dark scenes perfect but I wouldn´t say my X100 is really operating as it should. 1 stop difference is pretty much compared to the Nikon.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have exactly the same problem: The aperture opening differs from time to time with the same F-setting. My pictures are generally speaking overexposed at least 3 steps! Also, I've tried assigning depth-of-fielt to the Fn-button and "provoked" the aperture. It is getting stuck att different openings every time! No question about it: Hardware failure. I'm from Sweden and bought my X100 in Gothenburg in August. Its serial number is 12M06132.

/N

Problem sadly well known, due to defect lens assembly. Fuji knows about it, so definitely you should give back the camera for repair. Exchange could work, if they give you very new ones, produced very recently. These ones seem to have the new assembly design.

Bought mine on 21 September, it is now back for its second lens replacement. If this third lens fails then I shall return it to the supplier for a refund. A shame because on the few occasions it has worked it is fantastic. The aperture usually sticks fully open so stopping down produces progressively more over exposed images. However it is variable and sometimes it is worse at say f8. As others have said you can see the aperture sticking from the front. BTW I was told by Fuji UK that Fuji Japan have not yet formally acknowledged the problem.

Gosh, three times. I'm more and more dubitative whever to buy or not the camera... Fuji France did recognise there was a problem though. I hope new cameras will be free of the problem

Heard a suggestion that the sticky aperture problem may not just be the lense unit, could also be a problem in the main camera body. Anyone heard similar, it would explain new lenses failing too -transferring the problem onto the new lense. What do you think it could be, static buildup, a very minor short? Any ideas?

Mine is back to the sticky blades again. This will be the 2nd time sending it back. I'm losing faith in this camera and Fuji to rectify this situation. What a shame as its a great camera when it works.

Well mine has gone back to Fuji today because of the over-exposure problem. Bought in July and reported on here 1 week later that the images were flat and to my mind over-exposed. I never felt it was right and the problem got steadily worse and a few days ago did a shoot where it was really bad and most images completely blown out. I shoot in fixed aperture mode and you could see on the LCD it was going to give the wrong exposure. Serial number began 12N0. Dealer in the UK didn't even test it just gave me a loaner and said they normally turn them round in 48 hours. Hope they have a real fix for this.

Heard a suggestion that the sticky aperture problem may not just be the lense unit, could also be a problem in the main camera body. Anyone heard similar, it would explain new lenses failing too -transferring the problem onto the new lense. What do you think it could be, static buildup, a very minor short? Any ideas?

Joefarrow, can you source this for us? Where did you read/hear about this?

I had the same problem with mine. I first noticed it in aperture priority @ f16, but it very quickly effected anything above f4. I noticed that the blades only closed a tiny amount when shutter was half pressed, even at f16. Dropped it in to my camera store, their chap ran off a few shots, agreed that there was an issue, and sent it to Fiuji last Friday. Luckily the store were good enough to give me a new X100 on loan until mine comes back. I am in Dublin, Ireland and was told repairs could take three weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Got my camera back after 12 days. The lens unit was replaced. Nothing from fuji to confirm what had happened, just the card with all tests ticked on it.

I was thrilled by the service from the camera shop, Conns Cameras just off Grafton Street in Dublin. I want to mention them as they let me have a replacement X100 while mine was being repaired. Great to have my own one back!

if the camera has no SAB, this may be the reason why the X100 overexposes dark scenes: if you use auto-ISO, the camera will try to match the lowest shutter speed you indicated in the auto-ISO settings. If it is able to do that, the photo will be exposed properly. If not, it will attempt to get as close as possible and this is why it over exposes. It can be corrected easily with the exposure compensation dial.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, looks like I've been plagued by the Sticky Aperture problem as well. I noticed that everytime I half depressed the shutter, my X100's DOF preview in the EVF was overexposed and that would sometimes result in an overexposed image file (about 65% of the time).

However on doing the Aperture test, I didnt initially realise this as the the Aperture does close down at higher F-numbers - but just not as much as it's supposed to.

Just for documentation sake my serial number starts with 13xxxxxxx.

The real confirmation came when I compared it to another X100 in the store and saw what F16 was really supposed to look like when looking at the aperture blades.

The service here in Dubai isn't going to be as fast as some of you have reported so I'm looking at a turnaround of more than a week.

Ahh well lets hope for the best.

Have a great holiday, compliments to the season to you all and wish you a Happy New Year.

I bought my X100 in Dubai (SN 11Mxxxxxx) last April '11. It developed overexposure problems just last Nov after more than 6K actuations. At first I thought my cam was immune to SAB since it was one of the earliest released but the aperture blades just didn't close the way they should be, hence the overexposure. Sent it to Fuji Service Center here and they replaced the lens assy after 3 weeks. So far the lens worked very well but I'm still a bit anxious whether the problem will happen again after the 1-yr warranty expires.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got my camera back last evening. The problem has been rectified. The technician told me that they have replaced the lens unit with a "new version" lens. Overall turnaround was roughly 3 weeks. I'm a happy man...

So far the lens worked very well but I'm still a bit anxious whether the problem will happen again after the 1-yr warranty expires.

The overexposure is due to sticky aperture blades, for which, if I'm not mistaken, it was confirmed by Fuji that they will fix out of warranty units as well.

Its a known and admitted problem with cameras world wide. In 2012 there is no reputable company anywhere in the world who's would risk the backlash of walking away from something like this.

f/16, shutter speed set to A, and autoISO: With these settings, under no lighting circumstances (tried low light, bright light, day light) can I get a picture that is not white. This a sign of the overexposure problem?

Archived