Sign in to follow this  
Andre

Over exposing

drmark05

With mine, there was no gearing sound, just the blades clearly trying to get to where you had set them. It seems to me it is a mechanical issue, like the spring is not strong enough to do what it's supposed to do.

gtrent733

As promised, Fujifilm had my X100 back to me ASAP. FEDEX just delivered it this morning and so far it seems to work just fine. Out this afternoon to shoot and see what time will tell but they show that they replaced the lens assembly. Hopefully this is it for any issues. Love having it back in my hands again.

bigrobb2

@gtrent733 Good to read that you got it back so quick. Sending mine off tomorrow. I am going on vacation next week, it would be a bummer not to have it.

jackk

With mine, there was no gearing sound, just the blades clearly trying to get to where you had set them. It seems to me it is a mechanical issue, like the spring is not strong enough to do what it's supposed to do.

Thank you drmark05. Guess I'll switch from Spot to Multi metering to see if how my X100 works when I use the OVF. Perhaps the issue i have is I'm not 100% familiar with how Spot Metering works, I learned that the shutter speed would go from 1/10 to 1/30 when I change Exposure Bias to -0.3 (so my example I posted above is not "sound" enough). Will see what gtrent733 has to say as he has his unit back now....

dole7

@grent733: thx for the sample pics above, seems that mine does not have this "extrem" situation.

however @jackk it seems that we might have a similar "problem". maybe it is wrong handling, but I have not experienced this kind of washed out pics from my nikon.

I am also curious how this turns out, because in the beginning my pics were spot on, but now it seems getting worse. I will keep u posted.

kennylovrin

Interesting. I've seen this happen on my camera as well but always figured it was just a metering mistake as it does happen. But now that I start to think of it it always happened to me at smaller apertures and I mostly shoot at f/2 so I haven't seen it happen that much.

I just had a look at how it behaved and there is no difference in aperture size between f/2 and f/2.8 on my camera for example. And f/16 can vary in size so that it sometimes is double the size of other times. So I did one exposure per aperture step and adjusted the shutter time for each step which should produce images with the same exposure, but I got brighter and brighter exposures for each step down in aperture.

I will look into it more, but it seems to be the same problem and it might explain why I found it to behave strange sometimes.

bigrobb2

@kennylovrin You have described my situation exactly, except yesterday the problem was even worse. I sent mine in today for repair. I just hope these faulty lenses aren't replaced with more faulty lenses.

kennylovrin

@bigrobb2 same here, I sent mine away yesterday as well. I talked to Fuji Sweden and they said it definitely sounded like a hardware issue when I described it. The store where I bought and left it never heard of it though. But then again I don't think there have been as many X100 sold in sweden as in US for example. The Fuji guy actually came back to me and said a different custom have had his camera fixed for for a similar issue recently and that it took a week even though it had to be sent from Fuji Sweden to Fuji UK. I'm guessing that will happen to me as well.

On a side note, I think I read on the dpreview forum that some of the people with the problem had cameras in the 12xxxx serial number range. Mine starts at 12 as well. Don't want to spread any rumors as that might be totally unrelated. But i still found it to be an interesting coincidence.

bigrobb2

@kennylovrin They should probably stop selling these cameras while they work out this issue. My serial is in the 13xxxxxx range, so that may just be a rumor

jackk

Mines is in 12A range. I'll perform the stop down testing when i have time. Thanks for all the information everybody!

Jaynamana

@gtrent733 congratulations on getting your x100 back! :)

Did they mention what was wrong with the hardware?

Since this is my first DSLR I am having a hard time figuring out if I have this problem or not.

6056946264_eb7ce19ed1_z.jpg

Exposure 0.125 sec (1/8)

Aperture f/5.6

ISO Speed 1600

Exposure Bias 0 EV

6056377827_0abc8382f6_z.jpg

Exposure 0.033 sec (1/30)

Aperture f/5.6

ISO Speed 1250

Exposure Bias -2 EV

I am so confused. Is it normal for DSLRs to behave this way?

bigrobb2

@Jaynamana That looks pretty normal to me. If you had the aperture blade issue the exposure comp wouldn't really do anything. Try putting the camera in 100% manual. Take a properly exposed shot @ f2. Then shoot (leaving the settings the same) at f2.8 and so on until you reach f16. You should be able to see a big difference between f2 and f16. F16 should be really under exposed.

v_roma

I also have the aperture blade problem. I started getting overexposed pictures recently and immediately suspected this is was the problem since I had read about it from a few other owners. It was very easy to confirm by looking at the aperture blades while half-pressing the shutter button repeatedly in Av mode and seeing different apertures. For some reason, it seems to happen more at F4 than anything else but I'm not sure why. Seems like an unfortunate problem to have in so many cameras. I have yet to send mine in as I have an upcoming project that I need the X100 for (and for which I can work around the aperture problem if it doesn't get worse).

bigrobb2

I received mine back and its working like a champ. I'm thinking it never worked properly in the fist place. Big difference in aperture hole size. Fix was "Replaced Lens assembly".

The camera is spot on now.

adanac

Here's another user hit by the sticky aperture blades issue.

If you get hit with this and need a short term work around, try assigning the Depth of Field preview function the the fn button; I was able to "force" the blades of my lens to move by hitting the fn button and then depressing shutter half way. If the camera was turned off I'd have to go through this step again.

This worked for a period of time until nothing would budge the blades from wide open.

Currently out for warranty repair. Sigh.

It's interesting to see this issue here on the community, we're perhaps a small cross section of X100 users worldwide, but clearly it's happening to a fraction of X100 users. I'd be curious to know everyone's serial numbers who have been affected by this problem, perhaps it's confined to a certain range of cameras, or maybe it's truly random.

kennylovrin

I got mine back as well this week. I don't know in detail what they did, but it came with a service card which had "Checked" checked for every single thing on the camera and also "Adjusted" checked for aperture and shutter. If that means they actually adjusted or exchanged something in the lens I don't know.

I haven't had time to really test the camera since I got it back, but it seems to work without any issues in my brief tests.

adanac

On X100forum.com there seem to be a goodly number of folks who have experienced the sticky aperture blade issue; perhaps we are all the same folks here though! It does seem that regardless of which country one resides in, the Fujifilm office servicing that country is well aware of the problem.

Still waiting for mine back, fingers crossed that it is sent out by courier today...

v_roma

Word of advice: include photos (in the camera's internal memory, for example) documenting your problem when sending it in for repair. Even though I enclosed a letter explaining the problem in detail and the person on the phone seemed to be aware of this issue, I just received my X100 back from Fuji NJ and nothing was fixed. The repair ticket said everything was checked and found to be within factory specs. Yet, the first shot I took after taking the X100 out of the box was overexposed (as were all others thereafter at apertures smaller than f2). I am sending it back tomorrow with 2 pictures saved to the internal memory taken within seconds of each other with equivalent exposure settings but showing significantly different histograms. Let's hope this does it and the camera actually gets fixed this time. I'm more annoyed at having gotten back the camera without it being fixed than when I discovered the problem in the first place, to be honest. It just seems like adding insult to injury. /venting

bigrobb2

@v_roma Checking the aperture blade operation is easy. f/2 should close a little while f/16 should be about the size of a pin head. (very small). I can't see what they couldn't catch that.

When Mine had the issue F16 was close to the size of f2.8. Now the difference is like night and day.

adanac

My camera was shipped across Canada on a Monday, received at Fujifilm Canada's dock on Tuesday, repaired over Wed-Thursday, shipped back to me on Thursday, arrived back in Vancouver on Friday.

Service documentation said the lens assembly was replaced.

Prior to sending it in I sent via email a series of shots with EXIF data backing up the observation that the aperture was not closing properly.

PLEASE NOTE: In my case the problem was intermittent at first and grew progressively worse over time. As an example, by assigning the Depth of Field Preview function to the Fn button, I was initially able to force the blades to move. As more exposures were added on to the camera, that trick stopped working. Early on when I first thought I noted something wrong I wasn't looking for a physical blade issue and thought my X100 had a software problem. As the problem presented itself on a more regular basis, I quickly figured out that it was the aperture blades simply by looking at them while trying different aperture settings.

However I did note at that time that sometimes the blades would close, or almost close, to the proper opening. Again, the failure wasn't always 100% or regular, until the camera had more exposures. By 2500 exposures or so (I was on a multi-week trip) it was happening all the time.

If you think you have the problem but it seems intermittent, you may just be X exposures away from having a full time issue. Take the documentary photos to prove the issue and don't wait to get it repaired... much nicer now that it's fixed!

v_roma

@bigrobb2 Much like adanac, my problem is intermittent (but getting worse) so it may have not manifested itself during the limited testing conducted by the Fuji technicians. I was led to believe that they were aware of this specific problem and it never occurred to me that they wouldn't try to fix it. At the very least, I should've gotten a call before the camera was shipped back to me saying they had not found anything. At that point, I could've probably dug up some old photos showing the problem to send to them.

EDIT: To be fair, since I did post here to complain, I thought I'd update this by saying that Fuji appear to be trying to make things right. They will pay for shipping back to the repair center and will try to turn around the camera the same day since they did not fix the problem the first time around. If the camera comes back fixed, I'll be a happy guy and can go back to taking photos with this otherwise amazing camera.

bigrobb2

@v_roma Well that's good news, I hope they fix her up. I went through separation anxiety after I sent mine off.

gregvds

Is this still a current problem or past? Did new X100 owners had the problem recently?

I'm really bothered by this issue, I hate to send back new stuff I have, and usually, I always have problems with new stuff (maybe I'm picky...).

charlesn

There are two seemingly similar, yet actually unrelated "overexposre" problems being discussed in this thread. Hopefully, the following info will prove helpful for both.

First: "Help! My X100 is overexposing nighttime/dark scenes."

Answer: Your X100 is NOT broken or malfunctioning. Its metering system is operating as it should. My Nikon D3s does exactly the same thing. Why? In simple terms, camera metering systems see the world as "gray" and set an exposure to render it that way. So very dark or night scenes will appear overexposed. (And very bright/white scenes, like snow, can appear underexposed.) In the case of cameras like the D3s and X100, which have highly light sensitive sensors, an evening/night scene shot with automatic metering can almost appear to be a well-exposed daylight photo. You must use exposure compensation to override the automatic metering. It's easy on the X100: just view the scene on the LCD, and dial in "minus" exposure compensation until the lighting in the actual scene and what's on the LCD seem to match. Take your photo and if it's still not quite right, adjust the exposure compensation again, either plus or minus. It may take a few tries before you're satisfied with the results. This is all perfectly normal.

Second: "Help! My X100 is overexposing many/most of my photos."

Answer: Your camera may have sticking aperture blades which require repair by Fuji. Here's an easy test to see if they're sticking. First, set your X100 to manual exposure. Then set the shutter dial to A, and the aperture dial to f16. Look into the lens and partially depress the shutter until the shutter blades close, but before a picture is taken. Do this repeatedly, perhaps a dozen or more times. In each case, the shutter leaves should quickly close down to exactly the same small-sized hole, no sluggishness or sticking, then pop open again as soon as you release the shutter button. Now work your way up the aperture dial, doing the same procedure for every f-stop. If you see sluggish or sticking aperture blades at any point during these tests, then make note of the f-stop where the problem occurred and contact Fuji for repair. If you don't see any problems, then I'd assume there isn't a mechanical issue with your camera.