Sign in to follow this  
Andre

Over exposing

p3t3or

I just want to double check this symptom before I send it in. Also, on fuji's site there are local shops you can go to to have it fixed. Should I take it to one of these?

persiyan

Set aperture to f/16, look at the lens as you click the shutter release button half way, when the blades close do they close differently every time? At f/16 the hole when they close should be really, really small. Basically since the camera thinks it's at f/16 it compensates with slower shutter, and higher ISO, but since the blades don't actually close at f/16 the higher ISO and slower shutter cause the overexposure.

yaschan

I have same issue. If I stop down the aperture to F16 it looks like I could still get my pinkie through it. That's not what F16 should look like.

I bought the camera three weeks ago from retailer Yodobashi Camera chain here in Japan. Since I live in Japan it's no problem but I wonder should I go directly to Fujifilm or should I just try to get it replaced in Yodobashi.?

gregvds

@yaschan: Can I ask you the first few figures of your SN, just to check again if one could find some correlation between SAP and SN...

nirper

I bought my X-100 this week. This morning I noticed that a building I am taking photo of is constantly being over exposed even that the light meter showed perfect exposure it was still over exposed. Not only that - I tool a photo of a white car and it was over as well. All cases I was shooting on either Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority with the light meter right in the middle – so I think it should not have been over exposed anyway. The over/under exposure dial was on 0. I can't believe it. I will go tomorrow to the store and have it replaced/Checked. What a shame!!!

JeffPutty

That's my x100 (SN: 13N......) arrived at Fuji UK this morning to have the sticky aperture blade issue looked at. Had been getting some over exposed shots (even at f/4) for over a month and it got to the stage of being unusable. Hopefully they can fix it.

Does anybody know about the newer type lens they have being replacing the older ones with? Heard rumours of it focussing faster? Cheers.

Sergio

To be honest I really dont think they fixed it... I think some have it and some dont and some simply havent shown signs of it. I've sent in my second X100 for SAB again after it got a ton of use during my vacation in south america. I love this camera but I have lost all faith in Fuji.

wkthyk

Just took my one back to shop today, and they replaced me with another new X100, hope the new one don't get such issue again. I bought it last October in Sydney, and problem started in January on a cold day in China (Not that cold actually, 4-5 degree celcius only). Initially it gets better once warm it in clothings, but now it just simply overexpose all time. Serial No. 13M04XXX... Is the sticky aperture blade issue because of cold weather?

gafer

My first X100 developed the overexposure due to sticky aperture blades after less than two weeks. Exchanged at the camera store but who knows when/if the new one will develop this problem. Very disappointing for a high-end camera. This is something you would more expect in a cheap point and shoot. If my new one messes up it's going to Fuji for a new lens assembly.

ojilles

Hi,

Mine just started to do this too (serial starting with 13L). It's not so much that things look stuck, but almost all pics are overexposed. When I started to look into it, I put aperture to F16 point the camera at my face and half-press the shutter a dozen time. Each time the blades would close to a different opening (sometimes a pin-head other times not even half the glass would be covered). So off to the store I guess?

Jilles

gafer

Hi,

Mine just started to do this too (serial starting with 13L). It's not so much that things look stuck, but almost all pics are overexposed. When I started to look into it, I put aperture to F16 point the camera at my face and half-press the shutter a dozen time. Each time the blades would close to a different opening (sometimes a pin-head other times not even half the glass would be covered). So off to the store I guess?

Jilles

Yep, that's the infamous sticky aperture blade behavior. On the positive side, the word is that Fuji is prompt about addressing this through their customer service.

Wibblewobble

Mine has been returned today for the same problem.

So far Fuji have been excellent. Registered the problem online yesterday about 3pm, free packaging/postage turned up this morning and I posted it off at lunchtime.

We will see what happens.

MickAbrahams

I had this problem with my Fuji X100 which was not purchased new by me. Fuji were very helpful and sent me a brand new camera and a pre paid bag to return my old camera in. Well done Fuji, new camera is perfect.

Paul_S_Moran

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I thought I'd share this so people don't end up making the same stupid mistake I did.

I bought an X100s last week, and I have been loving using this camera. However this morning I was taking some shots on the journey to work. Upon reviewing the shots in camera I noticed they were all looking overexposed. I couldn't work out why. So I ran a few test shots at different apertures and they all still looked overexposed. So I searched Google for this problem, and found this topic. I started reading and worried that my new camera had developed a fault. I tested for the sticky aperture but everything seemed fine.

Then I checked back through the images and noticed a small symbol showing a little sun and the word 'up' underneath it. So I read through the manual and could find nothing in relation to this symbol. I then went through all the settings on the camera and I realised what the problem was. The night previously I had been flicking through the settings and getting used to using the Q menu. I had mistakenly turned up the brightness on the LCD screen on the camera, so this is why all my shots were looking over-exposed. I turned it back down to its normal level and all the exposures looked perfect after all.

So my advice is, if you think your camera is overexposing check the LCD brightness before you think you may have a faulty camera.