Sign in to follow this  
drombit

Darktable - Open Source Fuji RAF editor/convertor

drombit

I just got my X10 a few days ago and I really am enjoying it. Great little cam, especially indoors with practical lighting. After reading some Jpeg vs Raw posts I remembered some software I tried recently that looks promising for editing/converting RAFs. It's called Darktable. Basically an open source version of LightTable. Free download for Mac, PC, and Linux. The Linux version was acting kinda wonky and rafs had a blue cast I had trouble getting rid of. The Mac version however seems fine and fast. The software even has a lens correction feature for the X10. Anyway, kinda new to RAW workflow but thought mentioning this might help someone get some work (or play) done. Let me know if this software seems worthy of a look-see. Cheers!

Stevemot

I'm also very keen on Darktable, but run it on Ubuntu. The X10 colour casts were fixed in recent versions. Darktable works very well for most cameras, but I have to say its support for the X10 RAFs is not complete. It works fine in normal modes, but doesn't support the EXR modes properly, where the camera is essentially embedding two images in the RAW file. I have found that when I set image size to medium and DR to above 100 (effectively turning on the EXR high dynamic range mode), Darktable only shows the higher exposure image, blowing out the highlights. The in-camera raw conversion of course gives a great high dynamic range image.

I like the EXR modes because of the dynamic range / noise reduction in low light, so my solution is to shoot JPEG only, and continue to use Darktable to post-process the JPEGS, but of course I have to make sure I expose carefully.

scouser

I have a recently installed Ubuntu desktop computer on which I was keen to try out Darktable.

drombit

Thanks for catching me up Steve. I have not tried the in-camera raw conversion yet. I guess I'll have to try that for my RAW EXR experiments but will continue with what appears to be wonderful software from the folks at Darktable for everything else.

onthewall

Hi all,

Still there is no RAF converter which does it as good as the built-in X 10 camera converter (not even lightroom, without a certain amount of tuning) and now a new name in the game? But I use Windows and don't find a Windows version on their website. Is there no version for the boring?

drombit

Lol onthewall. I was a bit surprised to see they didn't offer a win version as well. The evil part of me felt a bit happy thinking back to all the times I was hot on the trail of some cool new software only to be shut down by lack of Mac support. Their recommendation was kinda funny as well. Just download a linux distro live CD and try it out. Probably more trouble than it's worth tbh. But for those of us running mac/linux and lacking Lightroom or Aperture I'm plenty thankful to the Darktable folks.

neilc

"darktable currently only supports regular Bayer style sensors (which probably accounts for 99% of available cameras) ... A lot of Fuji cameras have weird variations of the standard Bayer scheme which make them incompatible with darktable, too. We currently have no plans to support these cameras."

Damn!

drombit

Be that as it may. I'm still using it to post process the X10s nifty jpegs. I'm liking it a bunch.

Ilya

I own X-T1 nd would like to have it's support in Darktable as well.

SnapPuppy

If you are using Arch Linux there's a version of DT designed for the x-trans sensor. Search the AUR for Fuji. Keep in mind that it will only open files from X-trans and no other RAW types.