Sign in to follow this  
Wolvertone

X10 wide angle options

Are you thinking in terms of an aftermarket attachment device? (I don't think Fuji make anything like that.) The lens it comes with already zooms quite wide, about equivalent to 28mm focal length on a 35mm format camera.

I have found a very viable W/A adaption for the X10. A Century Optics .55 W/A adapter. On my X10 I placed a 40.5mm to 49mm step up ring. Since the W/A adapter was a 58mm thread, I simply added a 49mm to 58mm step up ring adapter. Initial tests indicate no vignetting problems at the widest angle of view.

I had posed a question here about the effective focal length on the X10 in use with the adapter. Someone stepped up and indicated 15.4mm (28x.55). During my film days in the 70's my favorite everyday walkabout street shooting lens was the Vivitar 17mm 3.5. I have missed the angle of view it gave with no fish eye distortion. So I was elated to learn I can use this adapter on my X10.

I have only run a few initial tests to see if it was viable. It is. As time permits I will put it thru its paces on the beach, downtown, and other places. I will post the results at that time.

Here is what the X10 looks like with the adapter on. Rather sexy, eh? Very comfortable to hold. Obviously it blocks nearly half of the viewfinder but I deal with it.

http://s1340.beta.photobucket.com/user/baypharm/library/#

My plans are to use it for focal lengths close to 17mm for the reasons I gave above. For me there is something magical about the angle of view of a 17mm lens. I was able to make some pretty amazing images with my Vivitar lens. So I am hoping I can try and recreate some of that nostalgia with the X10.

I would expect some image degradation. Century Optics is a very high end brand made for the cinema industry, hopefully this piece of glass will earn its proud part along side my coveted X10.

The link above to my Photobucket library will show you some of the filters I have adapted for the X10, such as the Moose polarizer and some Close-up lens filter adapters. Left over from my cinema days, I have a complete set of Harrison diffusion and fog filters. I use a 67-49 step down adapter for those. With Photoshop, these filters are not as important as they once were several decades ago. But I still plan to make use of them.

Photobucket

The adapter is not excessively weighty. I hold the lens barrel cupped in my left hand anyway. Also the adapter does not feel "front" heavy at all. I keep the lens barrel in between 28 and 30mm so I can use the focal length I prefer which is around 16-17mm. And as to be expected, the entire zoom range is not available with this adapter. It will find focus out to about the 48mm setting. Again, the whole idea is to use it for focal lengths below 28mm.

When light is low such as indoors during the evening, the AF motors have some trouble in finding focus. When there is plenty of light, focusing is quick and solid. I would expect this focus issue because light has to travel thru more glass and that plays havoc on the AF sensing circuitry. Good questions!

Ok sorry for the delay. I only have one shot to show you with this adapter right now. I ran outside and snapped this in my yard. EXR mode, 16:9. As you can see there is definite distortion on the left because of the tree. The W/A adapter is concave, obviously, so glass is thicker at the edges. Other than that it is pretty sharp. This shot is exactly as it came from the camera. All I had on the lens other than the Century Optics adapter was an ND 0.4 filter. The X10 lens was set at 28mm which means this picture field of view is approximately 16mm. I could have eliminated apparent distortion by shooting in 3:2, 4:3 or 1:1 mode and zooming in to about 17-18mm focal length.

Photobucket

MadDog,

Thank you for posting the photo. I have been looking for an extreme wide angle option for the X10 foe a few week since acquiring the camera. I shoot high end real estate with Nikon and extreme wide zooms. After using the X10 I thought it would be great to use it if I could solve the wide angle problem. I tested stitching and it worked well, but it takes time. A very wide lens option is clearly better making HDR easier then when using stitched images.

I checked your image in PT lens (add on to Aperture), and it was vey easy to correct minimal vignetting and the distortion. I am going to but the set up you specify and rigorously test it for my RE work. I think you have saved me a lot of weight and expense. Thanks.

Yikes that's a lot of distortion. The X10's lens is RAZOR sharp and I'd hate for it to fall off to such a high degree. Not a viable option for me I'm afraid. Too much compromise.

Does stopping down help at all?

Auxiliary lenses are a compromise, always have been. If you need quality superwide, get a camera that offers superwide prime lenses.

If you need wiser than 28mm equiv all solutions for the X10 reduce sharpness significantly. I own one of the Opteka aux wide/fisheye lenses (there's dozens of variations out there) and it's even softer on the edges than the example above.

Stopping down doesn't help much and depending on the aux lens can vignette.

Here is a shot I took at a recent wedding using the Century Optics w/a adapter set at 17mm focal length with the X10. I used EXR mode and 3:2 format. It was processed to b/w in LR 4

2qa8lkw.jpg

Thanks! I suppose it could be sharpened in PS or LR but the softness kind of reminds me of my film days before HD electronic cameras. It was handheld and late afternoon so fairly bright in the church. I don't remember the shutter speed/f stop settings. I was a guest of the wedding so I didn't expend a great deal of time/energy in getting a great shot. But the adapter is no doubt interesting to use. I think if I had used a monopod and perhaps a high shutter speed, things may have turned out differently!

Looks like the image is fine edge to edge. I tried to locate this w/a adapter on the Century site but came up short. have you got an internet address? Thanks.

I recently purchased the Nikon WC-E68 wide angle converter (0.68x) for about $60 off ebay, along with a 40-46mm step up right from amazon. I'm pretty happy with how the images turn out, look forward to going out and shooting with it. Here are some test shots at different apertures, at 28mm*0.68 = 19mm

f2.8

2013-02-01_(13)(00)(47)_DSCF9592.jpg

f4.0

2013-02-01_(13)(01)(05)_DSCF9594.jpg

f8.0

2013-02-01_(13)(07)(31)_DSCF9604.jpg

f6.4

2013-02-01_(13)(07)(10)_DSCF9603.jpg

fujisama: I don't think they are made anymore. I did a quick check on Amazon and there was one selling for $229. I can't remember how much I paid for mine - I originally got it for cinematography way back in the day.

fujisama: I don't think they are made anymore. I did a quick check on Amazon and there was one selling for $229. I can't remember how much I paid for mine - I originally got it for cinematography way back in the day.

The WC-E68 is not made anymore. I found one on Craigslist for $40. I have seen used ones on ebay for a low of $80 and a high of over $125. I think if people who had used them on their Coolpix cameras knew they had another user base developing more of them would show up for sale.

A Want to Buy ad at nikonian.org or dpreview.com might turn one up.

I went to my local pro dealer on Wed. in search of a step up ring to mount the WC-E68 to the X10. No luck. I found a step u that mounted the WC-e68 to the lens hoof filter ring, but it failed due to vignetting. So I went shopping on line and found a step up ring at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/HeavyStar-Dedicated-Metal-Stepup-40mm-46mm/dp/B0084TM1PG). The two reviewers say it works on the X10. Depending upon the mail delivery time, I will post test shots soon.

I went to my local pro dealer on Wed. in search of a step up ring to mount the WC-E68 to the X10. No luck. I found a step u that mounted the WC-e68 to the lens hoof filter ring, but it failed due to vignetting. So I went shopping on line and found a step up ring at Amazon.com (

http://www.amazon.com/HeavyStar-Dedicated-Metal-Stepup-40mm-46mm/dp/B0084TM1PG

). The two reviewers say it works on the X10. Depending upon the mail delivery time, I will post test shots soon.

The step up ring will fit perfectly on both the camera and WC-E68. I actually purchased the Nikon lens adaptor based on your postings here and DPR. Thanks so much btw, what a great solution!